Where do you place your Chemipure Blue?

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 250 with 2 filter media cups. Currently I use filter floss in one cup and put a bag of Chemi-pure Blue in the other cup. I was wondering if it would make a difference if I place filter floss in both cups and leave the bag of Chemi-pure Blue at the bottom on the sump? Will my water be clearer doing this?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter floss in both cups could possibly polish the water more— but it might be insignificant if the first batch of floss is not letting anything through. But the real question is, will the same amount of water flow ‘through’ the bag of ChemiPure if you move it, as opposed to simply ‘around’ it. You might simply be good the way you have it.

Triple.T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 250 with 2 filter media cups. Currently I use filter floss in one cup and put a bag of Chemi-pure Blue in the other cup. I was wondering if it would make a difference if I place filter floss in both cups and leave the bag of Chemi-pure Blue at the bottom on the sump? Will my water be clearer doing this?

I run mine with a magnetic seaweed clip on the back glass of my display . Water went to crystal clear in a few hours. Trick is putting it in direct flow .

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter floss in both cups could possibly polish the water more— but it might be insignificant if the first batch of floss is not letting anything through. But the real question is, will the same amount of water flow ‘through’ the bag of ChemiPure if you move it, as opposed to simply ‘around’ it. You might simply be good the way you have it.

I would definitely have stronger water flow leaving the Chemi-pure Blue in the cup. The end result I am looking for is clearer water.

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the trash.

but really I had a bad experience and now I just use lanthanum chloride when I need to. Phosphates stay low pretty much on their own

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the trash.

but really I had a bad experience and now I just use lanthanum chloride when I need to. Phosphates stay low pretty much on their own
Agreed. With reefer kind of money you need to be doing it right. Chemi* are for the 5gal nano tank HOB crowd.

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. With reefer kind of money you need to be doing it right. Chemi* are for the 5gal nano tank HOB crowd.
I am a hob guy. (40 breeder sumpless) didn't like the stuff. Got the bright idea to use it after watching "mass aquariums" it Gave me dinos, I almost quit

FloridaGal762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Aquarist here. Tank about four months old.

I have just added Chemipure Blue to my filtration system. After reading some reviews, I wonder if I should move it's location. Please advise- here is my set-up.

AOI 40 gallon
Chambers on the left: water flows into media basket with bio-rings, then to a media filter with biopellets, then into the middle return pump chamber

Chambers on the right: water flows into a filter sock, then into a protein skimmer, then into the middle return pump chamber

I originally had the Chemi blue in the media basket next to the bio-rings. However, I read it should be in the last compartment which is the return pump chamber. I am concerned to just drop it in there on the bottom. The flow may not be great and can it block the filter pumps?

Options: Move the media reactor to the outside left but my media basket won't fit in the other space. My media basket (the one for my IM tank) and filter sock only fits in the outer compartments. The compartments where the skimmer and reactor are housed are smaller.

Last edited:

FishGeist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally had the Chemi blue in the media basket next to the bio-rings. However, I read it should be in the last compartment which is the return pump chamber. I am concerned to just drop it in there on the bottom. The flow may not be great and can it block the filter pumps?

I stuck the Chemi-pure mesh bag on top of the bubble sponge chamber in my sump.

Archibald J McLauchlin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine on the entrance to the second chamber of my sump, on my protein skimmer outflow and on top of my bubble trap sponges before the return pump.
20200918_090449.jpg
20200918_090500.jpg
20200918_090534.jpg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use mine 2nd after the floss.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one filter cup and a 225um felt filter sock in my Red Sea Max E-260. I have the cup first and then the sock. In the cup I run Chemi-pure and Seachem Purigen and get great results.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine is in the sump in the path of water flow

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one filter cup and a 225um felt filter sock in my Red Sea Max E-260. I have the cup first and then the sock. In the cup I run Chemi-pure and Seachem Purigen and get great results.

My only concern placing the Chema-pure Blue in one of my 2 filter cups is that the flow into the cup will cause the mesh bag to trap too much debris and the Chema-Pure bag will have to be replaced too often.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back