Where is a good place to buy, captive breed Aquarium Organisms?

Chrisper518

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been an Aquarium owner for two years now, Im also big into conversation of wildlife, especially marine wildlife. I often found myself buying Condy Anemones(Condylactis gigantea) that will inevitably die for now particular reason. I find it irritating that I have to buy captured animals that will sometimes die in either my tanks or my providers tank. Im asking anyone if they know a good place to buy captive breed marine organisms so I don't have to sacrifice anymore animals.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I don't have to sacrifice anymore animals.
I almost want to see pics. Almost.

I kid, I kid. Why don't you just phone around and see what local stores carry stock from ORA and Biota? And buy cultured corals? If I have three (and, sometimes, a fourth) sources in a province with one seventh the population of Florida, you've got to have more than a few options.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Chrisper518

Chrisper518

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost want to see pics. Almost.

I kid, I kid. Why don't you just phone around and see what local stores carry stock from ORA and Biota? And buy cultured corals? If I have three (and, sometimes, a fourth) sources in a province with one seventh the population of Florida, you've got to have more than a few options.
Thank you a lot for presenting these websites, especially the ORA. I'll definitely see if other aquarium shops have any captive bred. Of course I still feel rather novice in this field of marine care and I certainly appreciate you help. Bless you sir.

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you a lot for presenting these websites, especially the ORA. I'll definitely see if other aquarium shops have any captive bred. Of course I still feel rather novice in this field of marine care and I certainly appreciate you help. Bless you sir.
Your local reefing community is often your most underappreciated and undervalued resource. Most successful reefers will often frag off of the coral that is overgrowing their tank, and you have a much better chance of having success with your new purchases if you're aware of the provenance of your finds. You can nearly always find out such critical points as growing lighting conditions; feeding; dosing; and disease history. Very few people actually withhold bad news, and if your fish or coral come from a tank with a history of velvet or GHA or valonia, people will tell you. You can then plan your risk accordingly, treat, and watch your tanks thrive.

A growing number of reefers are also breeding fish. You're still not going to find much beyond clownfish for sale by private individuals at this point, but a few other species are popping up. I bought my catalina goby from a private individual (through a LFS) who's now raising them to thrive in tropical temperatures.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back