Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier this year, I lost a super cool Pocillopora colony that had spontaneously grown on and entirely over a Random Flow Generator® Nozzle. Sadly, due to a return pump failure, It was exposed to the air for just a little too long and the top half didn’t make it. So I pulled the entire RFG nozzle with the coral and bleached it in the sun.

20210630_073051.jpg 20210630_073206.jpg 20210630_073223.jpg

The end result is pretty cool and it got me thinking about other places coral has grown in my aquarium - on and sometimes even in the Overflows, on the back glass, and of course on this Random Flow Generator® Nozzle. Now, if we could just figure out how to grow these in mass and ship them around the world, we might be on to something - LOL

Where is the strangest place coral has grown in your tank?
How about you - Whether by your own placement or by the coral’s natural ability to spread, what is the most interesting place a coral colony has grown in your tank?

To get us started – here’s the Pocillopora Coral RFG Nozzle and it's progression before it was lost.

sequence-20181229_090629.jpg

Last edited:

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1…. Finally got rid of it all, and now on my ‘never again’ list!
I actually enjoy it. Theyre easy to remove when they get too close to anything but they always seem to end up in places i wouldnt have put coral anyway like on walls, in crevices in the rock, and on powerheads and pipes

Upvote 0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Earlier this year, I lost a super cool Pocillopora colony that had spontaneously grown on and entirely over a Random Flow Generator® Nozzle. Sadly, due to a return pump failure, It was exposed to the air for just a little too and the top half didn’t make it. So I pulled the entire RFG nozzle with the coral and bleached it in the sun.

20210630_073051.jpg 20210630_073206.jpg 20210630_073223.jpg

The end result is pretty cool and it got me thinking about other places coral has grown in my aquarium - on and sometimes even in the Overflows, on the back glass, and of course on this Random Flow Generator® Nozzle. Now, if we could just figure out how to grow these in mass and ship them around the world, we might be on to something - LOL

Where is the strangest place coral has grown in your tank?
How about you - Whether by your own placement or by the coral’s natural ability to spread, what is the most interesting place a coral colony has grown in your tank?

To get us started – here’s the Pocillopora Coral RFG Nozzle and it's progression before it was lost.

sequence-20181229_090629.jpg

HA! Very cool! @Daniel@R2R

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Hilarious I'm camouflaging my RFG nozzles with some "easily spread" corals.:rolleyes:
Front view
IMG_8378.JPG

side view
IMG_8376.JPG
this is pretty cool - do the RFGs still function, meaning do they randomize?

If not - then you may just have to cut away or poke out the areas around the educator opening on the back of the RFG.

Love it though - they are totally hidden

Upvote 0

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they still work. It looks much thicker than it actually is around the intakes of the eductor areas. Here's a shot from underneath.

IMG_8380.JPG

I unscrew the RFGs about once a year and clean them off. (Oops, looks like I might have missed a year. :eek:) Going for a full waterfall looking effect.

Upvote 0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back