Where is the "ugly stage"?

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I did a fishless cycle (long story) and i bought my first fish about a week ago. My amonia and nutrites are normal, but my nitrates are between 20-40ppm. The only sign of "ugly" is a very light coating of diatoms. I have no need for a clean up crew because theres really nothing for them to clean.

Does the fishless cycle mean i won't have an ugly stage? I really want to add corals i guess im just being impatient.

Also, most of the sand in my tank (biocube 32) is covered by rock. Will this be an issue if/ when i get snails/ crabs? Thanks in advance.

tenor-2.gif

mdrieder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started a new tank recently and found the same thing. While I was busy patting myself on the back and thinking "I'm just better this go around" once I added corral and things I care about all the issues started. This may not be the case for you but I find the ugly stage manifests only when its gonna screw you over, lol. Just start slow and see how it goes, until every service has corraline things can still go of the rails.

Upvote 0

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is way too young for corals it sounds like. And it's too early for uglies too. If you used dry rock, it's almost a given you'll have them.

Upvote 0

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh just you wait lol. Itll be a battle but a manageable one at that. I would get a few more members of your cuc and start dosing some sort of phytoplankton to up your biodiversity which could outcompete the nuisance algaes

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back