Where there is smoke there is fire! (Hopefully)

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well some of you may remember me but I'm sure most of you don't.
It's been a few years since I broke down my Reefer 450. MAINLY because I was building a house and was hoping to do a bigger tank in the new pad.
I've been super busy working after the move. Between the move and all the new house projects that come up, my tank hobby got put on the back burner.

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fast forward to our new world. My job was considered an essential job so we kept working like going was going on. I'm not sure why hauling new cars is essential, but whatever.
I was working March 31st getting my truck ready to load and it started to rain. Not sure how many people are aware of this, but wet steel is pretty slick. I slipped while on top of my truck and did the superman all the way to the asphalt.
Arms first followed by my head. I know, ouch.
I spent a few days in trauma and ICU, but was released in about a week. Two fractured forearms and a cracked skull, eyesockets and nose. Looks like a long road to recovery and a full rebound probably not in the forecast.
Sounds bad but hey, looks like I have time to get back I n the hobby, right.

20200506_200405.jpg 20200506_200427.jpg 20200506_200448.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is terrible to go thru. sounds like you are dealing with it well. Sorry it took this to bring you back but glad you came back.
Hope you mend quick and use the time to hang out and spend time here to get caught up.

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is terrible to go thru. sounds like you are dealing with it well. Sorry it took this to bring you back but glad you came back.
Hope you mend quick and use the time to hang out and spend time here to get caught up.
Thank you sir. I have been mending well since the accident.
One good thing, or bad, if you ask my daughter, is my lfs is on the route to and from physical therapy.
Which is why I am here

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are enough sob stories out there lately, so let's turn this story toward my build thread.

My intention when building my house was to get the Red Sea Peninsula. I've gone back and forth since then on whether that set up would work in the new place. I went all the way around trying to find the best route to go and I am all the way back the the peninsula. Yeah!!

So here it is...

20200506_142710.jpg

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea had a deal where you could build your tank on the Reefwizard site and submit it to your lfs and get a little savings. Every little bit helps, so I decided to go all they had to offer.

Starting build list:

P650 tank
4- Reef LED's 90 w/pendant
2- Reefwave 45's
RedSea Reefer Skimmer 900

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds cool.

Grab yourself a build thread badge and post your build link in your signature

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds cool.

Grab yourself a build thread badge and post your build link in your signature

Thank, I like badges. Makes me feel special.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! Sorry to hear about the accident. Looking forward to the build!

Tkipl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are enough sob stories out there lately, so let's turn this story toward my build thread.

My intention when building my house was to get the Red Sea Peninsula. I've gone back and forth since then on whether that set up would work in the new place. I went all the way around trying to find the best route to go and I am all the way back the the peninsula. Yeah!!

So here it is...

20200506_142710.jpg
Will be following closely! You’re about a month ahead of me, I pick up my P650 this weekend!

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby steps.

I am also starting to work on cleaning and curing my old rock. All my old rock wound up in totes. Although my intention was to keep it wet and alive, my busy work schedule won the day and it wound up stacked on one side of garage. After watching some BRS vids I've decided to do the bleach only method for a week and then rinse and cure in saltwater for 3 weeks.

15900771278038258111659615117541.jpg

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So those arms in the reef are going to have a whole new meaning for you now!! Feel free to hit me up in the future once you get ready for corals, I’d be happy to feed the obsession with a frag pack on the house.
Thank you, and yes it is pretty funny. Those arms were in my last tank. Its like destiny or something.

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New floor mostly done. A little trim work and I can check this off the list.
Rock was taken out of bleach/water bath. After rinsing with tap I put back in bins with more tap.
I plan on letting them soak in this for a week and then let them chill in some RO. Tempted to go ahead and get them in salt with some bacter7 or the like but I want to take my time on my aquascape so much of the bacteria would probably die.

20200531_210010.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back