Where to buy 37% Formalin

XFeathersx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seeing some potential uronema spots on one of my new chromis in my QT. Looks like humblefish recommends 37% formalin baths for treatment of the healthy looking ones. Can anyone point me to a location where I can buy 37% formalin?

Thanks in advance!

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
homesciencetools.com

But make sure you read Humble's directions carefully. The recommended dosage is based on 37% Formalin. Heavy aeration is critical.

OP
OP
XFeathersx

XFeathersx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And be careful. This is nasty stuff.
Sure is. I found this resource: https://ehs.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/publications/formaldehyde-fact-sheet.pdf
If anyone in the future reads this thread. The tank I'm treating is in my basement, so not a very ventilated area unfortunately. Covid masks won't protect you against formaldehyde gas unless it's a rated respirator, so I think I'm going to have to go with a face shield and holding my breath combo... gloves and long sleeve shirt as well. I remember my chemistry classes and won't take the chance!

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure is. I found this resource: https://ehs.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/publications/formaldehyde-fact-sheet.pdf
If anyone in the future reads this thread. The tank I'm treating is in my basement, so not a very ventilated area unfortunately. Covid masks won't protect you against formaldehyde gas unless it's a rated respirator, so I think I'm going to have to go with a face shield and holding my breath combo... gloves and long sleeve shirt as well. I remember my chemistry classes and won't take the chance!
Can you do it outside? I know this sounds nuts but I did mine outside. If you're doing a bath they REALLY need good airation while in the bath. Unfortunately airation means bubbles and aresolized formaldehyde.

I work with this in the research environment and if I used it on a bench top outside of a fume hood I would be in big trouble.

OP
OP
XFeathersx

XFeathersx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you do it outside? I know this sounds nuts but I did mine outside. If you're doing a bath they REALLY need good airation while in the bath. Unfortunately airation means bubbles and aresolized formaldehyde.

I work with this in the research environment and if I used it on a bench top outside of a fume hood I would be in big trouble.
I appreciate the info! If I did a bath I could move them outside. Good point about the aerosolized formaldehyde. What's your opinion on the lower dose directly in the QT in the basement? The above link states 0.75 ppm is the threshold for allowable exposure, I'm not sure of the conversion between the 1ml/gallon dose for a 20 gallon QT would equate to aerosolized via an air stone and a HOB filter. I lean towards "no problem" but that's purely an opinion.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the info! If I did a bath I could move them outside. Good point about the aerosolized formaldehyde. What's your opinion on the lower dose directly in the QT in the basement? The above link states 0.75 ppm is the threshold for allowable exposure, I'm not sure of the conversion between the 1ml/gallon dose for a 20 gallon QT would equate to aerosolized via an air stone and a HOB filter. I lean towards "no problem" but that's purely an opinion.
Formalin isn't effective against internal Uronema. Despite seeing lesions on the outside, they actually start deep down in the muscles, you only see them once they get bad enough to break the surface. I've used formalin to treat seadragons with external Uronema. A better choice (but still by no means 100%) is chloroquine. Fish drink it and it gets inside the fish that way.

Here is my article on Uronema:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/uronema-red-band-disease-hemdal.788/

Jay

OP
OP
XFeathersx

XFeathersx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin isn't effective against internal Uronema. Despite seeing lesions on the outside, they actually start deep down in the muscles, you only see them once they get bad enough to break the surface. I've used formalin to treat seadragons with external Uronema. A better choice (but still by no means 100%) is chloroquine. Fish drink it and it gets inside the fish that way.

Here is my article on Uronema:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/uronema-red-band-disease-hemdal.788/

Jay
Thanks for the input on it not being effective against internal uronema. I will admit it's frustrating when chloroquine phosphate comes up as the only effective treatment due to its incredibly limited supply and price tag. But there's nothing we can do about that at this point.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try asking around your local reef club to see if anyone has any on hand... Or even other r2r members who may have paid the $150 for the 100 grams that's available from national fish pharmacy. Noga says 40mg per gallon every 5 days. I'm guessing most people who buy 100 grams on here don't end up using 2500 gallons worth. Maybe just troll the threads here to see who bought some and offer to buy a quarter of theirs. How sketchy.

Back