Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion (IMO) I would stick to your first two choices? Will this be your first saltwater aquarium?

OP
OP
Decat

Decat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not by any stretch. I have had saltwater aquariums since 2003. I was asking more as a resource for myself right now, and others in the future.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been awhile but,

kpaquatics.com had O. havanesis and P. ciliata and more.

tampabaysaltwater.com had N. wennerae

I would avoid the generic "clown mantis" from liveaquaria. They have a long history of sending out G. chiragra. Divers den was a better choice.

OP
OP
Decat

Decat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I order a Peacock Mantis from Blue Zoo and got an absolutely beautiful Peacock Mantis.

I ordered a "Clown Mantis Shrimp" from LiveAquaria, which was listed with the scientific name for the Peacock Mantis (Odontodactylus scyllarus), and I got a Purple Spotted Mantis (Gonodactylus smithii) from them.

Not really happy with LiveAquaria on this, but Blue Zoo exceeded my expectations.

OP
OP
Decat

Decat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the Peacock Mantis from Blue Zoo:

Peacock Mantis.jpg

Peacock Mantis 2.jpg

OP
OP
Decat

Decat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only great thing about getting the Purple Spot Mantis from LiveAquaria is that somehow in some way, my Purple Spot came with a SUPER SMALL mantis fry:

I have never seen a Mantis this small in captivity, so it was kinda awesome to see him/her. I got some great videos of the baby Mantis reaching out for a speck of food I placed within reach, but I don't know how to upload videos here.

Purple Spot 3.PNG

Purple Spot 4.PNG

Purple Spot 5.PNG

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's likely an amphipod.

and I think you scored on the G. smithii. Those are great mantis shrimp and not always as easy to find.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would contact LA on the misidentification though. They may refund you since you didn't get what you ordered.

Tim2@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only great thing about getting the Purple Spot Mantis from LiveAquaria is that somehow in some way, my Purple Spot came with a SUPER SMALL mantis fry:

I have never seen a Mantis this small in captivity, so it was kinda awesome to see him/her. I got some great videos of the baby Mantis reaching out for a speck of food I placed within reach, but I don't know how to upload videos here.

Purple Spot 3.PNG

Purple Spot 4.PNG

Purple Spot 5.PNG

That's an Amphipod mate, 100%

OP
OP
Decat

Decat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 2 Peacock Mantis Shrimp in my BioCube so far (obviously not at the same time). They each ate like champs, and were doing awesome with no issues for the first 3-4 months. My most recent Peacock Mantis even molted twice in the 3 months he was in the tank. However they each started to not eat and died at the 3 month mark for no apparent reason. Any advice? I have other invertebrates in there that are still doing great. Not sure what the problem is? Do I need to test the water for iodine levels? I was just adding iodide drops once a week without measuring. Could aluminum have seeped into the water from the MarinePure balls?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back