Where to buy Chloroquine Phosphate?!

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to quarantine a snow flake eel. I’m curious where I can buy pharmaceutical grade Chloroquine Phosphate?

If I can’t find CP, can I isolate the eel for 30-45 days? Will that kill off velvet/ich or does the eel serve as a viable host?

lastly can a Valentinie puffer tolerate copper?

Thank you in advance.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen it lately for sale. I used to get it at Everything Aquatics, but looking a bit ago they no longer have it. Thanks MnFish1 for the links. I need it every so often.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have not seen it lately for sale. I used to get it at Everything Aquatics, but looking a bit ago they no longer have it. Thanks MnFish1 for the links. I need it every so often.
You can get chloroquine from a pharmacy. You would need a prescription. Unless from Canada or Mexico - (especially Mexico - because it can be used for malaria) - you can sometimes get it OTC - otherwise I would suggest a sympathetic veterinarian or MD to give you a prescription

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to quarantine a snow flake eel. I’m curious where I can buy pharmaceutical grade Chloroquine Phosphate?

If I can’t find CP, can I isolate the eel for 30-45 days? Will that kill off velvet/ich or does the eel serve as a viable host?

lastly can a Valentinie puffer tolerate copper?

Thank you in advance.
The puffer is fine with Coppersafe. What I do with eels is feed them up well and just dose them with Coppersafe. The worst that will happen is they go off their feed, and if you bulk it up first, it won’t be an issue.
I’m on a phone and can’t link it but Google Hemdal chloroquine for my article on it.
Jay

Ja890425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered from national fish pharm (Humblefish’s link) I’ll let you know how it goes when I get it… the smallest you can order is 100grams so I’m going to have a boatload left over

beckymail86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for CP to quarantine an eel before adding to my display. Anyone want to sell their leftovers after buying the 100g size?

ryanuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered from national fish pharm (Humblefish’s link) I’ll let you know how it goes when I get it… the smallest you can order is 100grams so I’m going to have a boatload left over

Were you able to get the order you placed with national fish pharm? I placed an order a couple of days ago and i have sent emails but i havent gotten any responses.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you able to get the order you placed with national fish pharm? I placed an order a couple of days ago and i have sent emails but i havent gotten any responses.

People have been able to find CP for sale, but it is hit or miss. Back in 2020, the US government sent out "cease and desist" letters to all suppliers of CP for aquarium use that they could find. I don't know if that order ever expired. If not, then anyone selling it is flying below their radar.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
People have been able to find CP for sale, but it is hit or miss. Back in 2020, the US government sent out "cease and desist" letters to all suppliers of CP for aquarium use that they could find. I don't know if that order ever expired. If not, then anyone selling it is flying below their radar.

Jay

They have it in stock. I just called them. There is a wholesale website (minimum order 1KG) - and a retail website (which is what this one is - they have from 100 gm to 1000 gm (100gm is $100), 1000GM is 900$

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know if you saw my reply to Jay - see the reply - national fish pharm has it in stock - and for sale.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They have it in stock. I just called them. There is a wholesale website (minimum order 1KG) - and a retail website (which is what this one is - they have from 100 gm to 1000 gm (100gm is $100), 1000GM is 900$
Scary website, scant information, no instructions for the meds

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Scary website, scant information, no instructions for the meds
I'm curious - why scary - they specialize in aquarium pharmaceuticals? Its a link on Humblefish's site (according to the poster above) - I called them they answered the phone after 1 ring, they have numerous products - and knew all about the indications, the regulations, and the shortages because people were using it for covid19 - and because its used in other countries for malaria - and there is a big push on for malaria treatment now?

EDIT - The lack of instructions is not an issue - thats in all of the protocols. I suppose I could call back and ask if this is 'pure' chloroquine phosphate - which would be my only concern - my understanding is that it was. (i.e. if you use 50 mg of the powder - are you really getting 50 mg - or is it 40 mg product and 10 mg filler, etc etc. I don't see a problem with the site (personally)

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an account with the right permissions at Everythings Aquatic? I traded a couple of emails with them recently and found out that there are medicated foods available but you have to have an account and the right permission to see them. I'm not sure if they sell just CP by itself but it's worth looking into if you want some.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious - why scary - they specialize in aquarium pharmaceuticals? Its a link on Humblefish's site (according to the poster above) - I called them they answered the phone after 1 ring, they have numerous products - and knew all about the indications, the regulations, and the shortages because people were using it for covid19 - and because its used in other countries for malaria - and there is a big push on for malaria treatment now?

EDIT - The lack of instructions is not an issue - thats in all of the protocols. I suppose I could call back and ask if this is 'pure' chloroquine phosphate - which would be my only concern - my understanding is that it was. (i.e. if you use 50 mg of the powder - are you really getting 50 mg - or is it 40 mg product and 10 mg filler, etc etc. I don't see a problem with the site (personally)
Assuming the only customers are those who regularly read R2R and have an idea what the protocols are. Kinda like if you could walk into Walmart and buy a bottle of acetaminophen with absolutely no instructions nor identification of the company making the drug.

Last edited:

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is kinda what happened when some idiots assumed the drug was in the same drug used for malaria, bought it, took it, and died.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you saw my reply to Jay - see the reply - national fish pharm has it in stock - and for sale.

I thought the issue was that the OP ordered some from them, but didn't hear anything back. I am worried that they may be selling it against the US ban on aquarium companies selling it. If the FDA rescinded their restriction, that's great, but the last I heard was this:

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterina...phate-intended-fish-treatment-covid-19-humans

Jay

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I recall didn't some people also take the drug (sold as a fish drug) to treat something else, and also pass away?
They actually took it for Covid. They assumed the fish medication was the same as the human medication.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They actually took it for Covid. They assumed the fish medication was the same as the human medication.
Yes, I was trying to imply that. That said, maybe not in this case, as I am not super familiar with this specific drug, I imagine many "pet grade" medications are very similar if not the same as drugs for human consumption. . . or at the very least the actual "drug" part/active ingredient is the same. . . now concentrations/purity/dosage. . . a different story.

Back