Where to buy corals? Im so sick of this.

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to the hobby, and my tank is 4 months old. So far i learned a lot about nutrients, and balance. And etc. Im just having hell hard of a time gettinf a healthy coral. I know this is going to sound ridiculous. But so far i bougnt 2 duncans, and 2 candy canes. And this is the status i receive the corals. U can see the white stuff on the flesh.

Those 2 are from my local fish store. Im getting fooled under the blue light as he has them open. I get them home, and they look absolutely miserable? I just want to know is that my fault? My mag is 1300. My alk is 7.9. Stable 7.8, 7.9. I have zr15 g5 light running AB+?. What am i doing wrong? I tried 2 candy canes so far that i cant let them open. Had the candh cane at the sand, and they are nkt getting blasted or anything.

Thats how the duncan looks now but still not fully extended.

Is the problem is the corals im buying r not healthy or is it me?

Screenshot_20221211_212240_Gallery.jpg 20221210_084513.jpg

Attachments

• 20221210_110746.mp4
    16 MB

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to the hobby, and my tank is 4 months old. So far i learned a lot about nutrients, and balance. And etc. Im just having hell hard of a time gettinf a healthy coral. I know this is going to sound ridiculous. But so far i bougnt 2 duncans, and 2 candy canes. And this is the status i receive the corals. U can see the white stuff on the flesh.

Those 2 are from my local fish store. Im getting fooled under the blue light as he has them open. I get them home, and they look absolutely miserable? I just want to know is that my fault? My mag is 1300. My alk is 7.9. Stable 7.8, 7.9. I have zr15 g5 light running AB+?. What am i doing wrong? I tried 2 candy canes so far that i cant let them open. Had the candh cane at the sand, and they are nkt getting blasted or anything.

Thats how the duncan looks now but still not fully extended.

Is the problem is the corals im buying r not healthy or is it me?

Screenshot_20221211_212240_Gallery.jpg 20221210_084513.jpg
Did you use any coral dip and did you decrease your light intensity or put lights on acclimation mode?

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it's most likely an issue with your tank. If your tank is doing great, you can even bring back "bad" corals. Tell us more about tank equipment, routine maintenance, light schedule, etc

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it's most likely an issue with your tank. If your tank is doing great, you can even bring back "bad" corals. Tell us more about tank equipment, routine maintenance, light schedule, etc
I agree, that duncan pic just looks like an angry coral not happy with the environment.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for "getting fooled" by the fish store's lights, either ask them to turn on the whites for you or use a flashlight (or your phone flashlight app) to look at the coral under whiter light. Most fish stores even have the orange glasses you can use.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back