Where to buy/find high end clams

Kami2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I was wondering where’s the best place to get a high end clam like a black and white Maxima or a blue tear drop. I currently have a brown tear drop.

656F2045-5BFE-40C9-9A1D-E4A58CEB533F.jpeg

OP
OP
Kami2011

Kami2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I'm new to clams so I didn't know the best place to look. I got my teardrop for under 200.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pacific East is definitely the best source. Bad time now though if you are looking for something specific with imports being pretty much shut down.

U

User1

View Badges
I will second and third Pacific East Aquaculture. Dr. Mac's clams are by far the best on the market. Not only that each is inspected before it is placed into their systems to reduce pyramid snails and again it is looked at before bagged and shipped. He has also done a video on how you can introduce it to your tank, what to inspect for, acclimation, position, etc. It is a really well done and informative video honestly and any owner, especially those buying a clam for the first time, should check out.

Specifically high end clams what are you looking for? Here is an example of what he was offering last year with a multi color Max. Note: due to the virus spreading around the world he said last week that it may be a while before new arrivals.

OP
OP
Kami2011

Kami2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will second and third Pacific East Aquaculture. Dr. Mac's clams are by far the best on the market. Not only that each is inspected before it is placed into their systems to reduce pyramid snails and again it is looked at before bagged and shipped. He has also done a video on how you can introduce it to your tank, what to inspect for, acclimation, position, etc. It is a really well done and informative video honestly and any owner, especially those buying a clam for the first time, should check out.

Specifically high end clams what are you looking for? Here is an example of what he was offering last year with a multi color Max. Note: due to the virus spreading around the world he said last week that it may be a while before new arrivals.

what did it go for?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing about PEA is to be careful trusting their photo colors. Color saturation Max out a lot IMO (mainly in coral). Great healthy stocks.

U

User1

View Badges
what did it go for?

That one I don't know. He had a few others towards the end of last year that are super rare (no BS) with their split color. Those I know pushed $2,500 and sold out in no time. They honestly do not come by that often. I'll see if I can find the post with images he did.

Some info on their site - has the video I believe there.

Another:

U

User1

View Badges
The only thing about PEA is to be careful trusting their photo colors. Color saturation Max out a lot IMO (mainly in coral). Great healthy stocks.

True - but that is also true for any vendor. Just look at any of the sponsors here. I'm strictly talking about the quality of products they offer. Yes, I'm probably biased because I do purchase from him. The two clams I've purchased (one blue and one gold max) aligned with what I ordered and looked great.

Just saying photo colors apply to all who are selling online. I do not feel PEA is doing anything out or the ordinary.

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except form PAE, AquaSD posts ORA clams from time to time, check their new arrivals Saturday afternoon. The ones I purchased from them are in good health. Austin aqua farms import blue Squamosa clams sometimes too

wjgeese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
be careful about pyramid snails from PEA. I recently recieved a wild squamosa fro PEA and it was LOADED with snails/egg masses. I have 8 blue squamosas, squamosina, red sea maxima, gigas and have 0 snails in my system. Until now...:mad:

U

User1

View Badges
be careful about pyramid snails from PEA. I recently recieved a wild squamosa fro PEA and it was LOADED with snails/egg masses. I have 8 blue squamosas, squamosina, red sea maxima, gigas and have 0 snails in my system. Until now...:mad:

When did you buy it? They brush all clams as they come in and inspect. Video above shows how they inspect, clean, and what the hobbyist should also do once they arrive. Sorry to hear.

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pyramid snails and they are so hard to eradicate I had to transfer my clams to a new tank. If you can afford a quarantine tank with decent lighting you may want to do that, then remove all the cuc snails to starve those devils. Where did you get the Red Sea maxima?

wjgeese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you buy it? They brush all clams as they come in and inspect. Video above shows how they inspect, clean, and what the hobbyist should also do once they arrive. Sorry to hear.
i bought it about a month ago. I spoke w/ PEA about this issue and they also mentioned that they 'clean' the clams as well. Well, I can tell you, the rim of the shell right underneath the mantle was gooey to the touch (egg masses) and upon further inspection I found lots of snails over the next few days hiding out in the byssal opening. My qtine tank was down and I was forced to add the clam to my tank. After battling these buggers over the years I was finally happy to have a pyramid pest free system from startup of new system last August. Now I'm back in the same rut. Not bashing PEA, they tried to make right, but at the time, what could I do? If I shipped it back it surely would have been dead. Just sharing my experience....they have a big facility, so their ability to thoroughly scrub and inspect with the scrutiny that we can at home is not really realistic. So, LOOK CLOSELY at what you get, no matter the vendor. Austin aquafarms and Matt's Corals on the other hand, are much smaller and I have never had an issue w/ snails from them. FWIW.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also vote PEA for a reliable source for healthy clams and the best chance of snagging a rare one, although other vendors do them in. Biota and ORA dealers sometimes get some really neat ones from those sources.

Even though PEA does clean the clam, please do it anyway when you get them! I did get pyramid snails from PEA, which is not a knock against them, just shows all you need to do is miss a tiny couple of eggs, so no matter the source scrub when you get them!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back