Where to buy fish and invertebrates online

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m specially asking about fish and inverts (I do better trading with local reefers for corals).

I know there’s been a lot of displeasure with Live Aquaria’s change to a 7 day stay alive policy, store credit rather than replacement fish, and allegedly unhealthy/unquarantined fish.

But I rarely see people suggest better options. Where do y’all buy your fish, and why?

*note this is not a LA bashing post, and for all I know they are the best option on the market—just restated opinions from the internet as a preface for my question.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like to put fish through shipping, but the few times I have, I’ve seen TSM do a good job and they do quarantine. I’ve also seen LA and received dead fish. From the two that survived, one developed a fungal infection, the other is still alive 2 years later.
I did try out biota for two mandarin, one came in with ammonia burns and a badly damaged side fin (took 6 months to fully heal) the second came in just fine

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had good luck with reefbeauties.com and they offer a 15 day guarantee last time I checked. They also usually have the lowest prices.
For cuc, reefcleaners.org is great

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've actually had nothing but good experiences with LA. Out of the 8 fish I've ordered for this tank (And 5 fish for older tanks, so 13 overall), every one has been just fine, and been out eating within a day. I practice "ich management" (eg it's probably in the system and I hope my UV will take care of it), so they may have had ich.

I've only had bad experiences with one online vendor (Blue Zoo). I ordered 3 fish. Out of the 3 I ordered, one was missing a fin and couldn't swim, one had very obvious ich spots (still has them; but he might pull through), and one was dead the next day. But Live Aquaria has done all right by me, and it seems like the change in management has been positive for them.

I think if you really want to go the extra mile for your fish, you need to check TSM (always seem to be out of stock for what I want) or custom order through ATR/Marine Collectors/etc. But if you don't want to pay a ton more, LA seems as good as any other major vendor, and possibly better since they have deals with the wholesalers.

Grapefruit509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I CAN NOT for the life of me find nano ornamental shrimp, wanting sexies, Pedersen, bumblebees but not a single one i can find

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA here for 90% of my fish (Saltwaterfish.com for others). That's 15 total saltwater fish and more freshwater. Never had an issue with either. For invert clean up crew went with Reef Cleaners - no issues there either.

I always check the ship from and arrival location forecast and make sure I don't order during cold snaps or hot spells.

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got an order from LA, and the fish arrived healthy and eager to look for food. They changed how they seal the bags, and while I'd received unhealthy specimens in the past, they seem to be much better now.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I CAN NOT for the life of me find nano ornamental shrimp, wanting sexies, Pedersen, bumblebees but not a single one i can find

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back