Where to buy fish medication in Canada.

Willu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I was wondering if any Canadian reefers could help me out with this. I've used the last of my prazipro and can't find any more as a result of the tough regulations on fish medications. I'm also looking for metro and copper meds, but they've been banned and I was wondering where I could find fish meds. If anyone could help I would gladly appreciate it.

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet is to visit/call any local LFS you can find and see if they have them. Because of the ban all the online stores have pulled it.

At a LFS you may have a chance as they are either not paying attention or want to sell what they have. Prazi is an issue due to an expiry date though :(

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Legally you have to take your fish to the vet. Otherwise you just have to search around until you get lucky. Frankly I am surprised the entire fish supply chain in Canada has not collapsed. Clearly fish are still being medicated.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a conversation about this with a local place last week.

Health Canada has been systematically contacting stores and sites enforcing the removal of anything medicinal or antimicrobial. The intent was originally to stop over the counter sale of livestock medication to cut down on the presence of meds in the environment, because of drug-resistant strains of various things that have been developping. The unintended result is that it's not legal to sell in a fish store either anymore.

The few places that I knew of even a month or so ago that still had anything like API General Cure or prazi don't list it anymore.

IF you have a relationship with a local store, you might be able to bring some unlabelled bottles and have them fill them under the counter, if they still have the stock hidden away, but it won't be out for you to find.

Last edited:

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I was wondering if any Canadian reefers could help me out with this. I've used the last of my prazipro and can't find any more as a result of the tough regulations on fish medications. I'm also looking for metro and copper meds, but they've been banned and I was wondering where I could find fish meds. If anyone could help I would gladly appreciate it.
All OTC medications have been pulled, and any stores still selling things like praziquantel (api general cure / prazipro) had a visit from a Health Canada inspector this month to physically observe the products being pulled. Your best bet is ebay and hope it clears through shipping.

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located? I do have extra Metro, prazi. And I'd have.to check my copper stash ;)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would try ebay who ships Anything, and also MarineDepot and even Amazon.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly you can still buy Prazipro on Amazon.ca

edit: Just ordered Melafix and Malachite Green too
I don't see any prazipro on Amazon from a Canadian source. One has a 3 week shipping window which would indicate China (which could honestly be a bottle of urine or anything else), the other is from PA. Not everything on Amazon comes from Amazon.

Last edited:

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any prazipro on Amazon from a Canadian source. One has a 3 week shipping window which would indicate China (which could honestly be a bottle of unrine or anything else), the other is from PA.
This is the one I ordered.

Comes from Hikari direct in the US. It could be seized at the border, but honestly who cares if it is, Amazon will refund it. If it's not, then I have Prazipro on hand. All good.

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the status when I ordered Prazipro from Amazon.ca, I'm still waiting........(jk I canceled after it didnt show for six weeks)

Screenshot_20190823-102000_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back