Where to buy food grade hydrogen peroxide?

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a good source for buying food grade hydrogen peroxide? I can't seem to find anything that looks reliable in terms of strength and purity. Everything on Amazon is extremely shady.

I want to try dosing h202 for algae/dino control but do not want anything with stabilizer added.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try Sigma or McKesson. Not sure if they deal direct with the public.

Val Shebeko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look on ebay. I had to buy 5 gallons @ 30% concentration. Degrades but very slowly.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helpful detail: the stabilizers in common 3% don’t matter. There’s much more risk dosing the 30+ even though it’s purer

number of reef tanks using the 3% common just fine- 99%

number of reefs dosing the +30% strengths= 1% and nearly all the tank wipes due to mistakes are on that rocket fuel. Since the 3% is medically accepted for wounds and oral care its not harmful in our reefs it’s been used a gazillion times.

I use the 35% from a health food store but it’s for direct contact work when drained, not added to water.

the stabilizers are of no concern.

Last edited:

William Morris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helpful detail: the stabilizers in common 3% don’t matter. There’s much more risk dosing the 30+ even though it’s purer

number of reef tanks using the 3% common just fine- 99%

number of reefs dosing the +30% strengths= 1% and nearly all the tank wipes due to mistakes are on that rocket fuel. Since the 3% is medically accepted for wounds and oral care its not harmful in our reefs it’s been used a gazillion times.

I use the 35% from a health food store but it’s for direct contact work when drained, not added to water.

the stabilizers are of no concern.
How much of the 3% would you dose to kill garden variety sponges?
This would directly targeting the sponges in the tank.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly don’t think it will work, I recently tossed a five year old acan/lobo frag growing quite well because the bottom half was enveloped by a common white sponge resistant to both scraping totally clean outside the tank, surgical scraping with a real scalpel and then 35% on the cleaned spots

if 35% could not cut a common sponge I wouldn’t trust 3% for any of them although random trials might show something new or different. 3% is not particularly harmful to experiment with even in tank for most animals except lysmata shrimp and decorative shrimp.

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using 30% diluted to 12% with ro/di for use in oxydator for over a year now. Guaranteed food grade from Health med supply co. No ill effects noted.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check Amazon, though recently there now seems to be a 12% cap on the concentration. That’s 12000 ppm. Not sure that you would need anything stronger.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back