OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We also carry a selection of clams. Right now we have Tahiti Maximas in stock. The cultured ones are generally more hardy than the wild ones, but they are also smaller.

https://tlreefs.com/collections/clams-1

DSC_6394-1 $150.jpg

DSC_6387-1 $130.jpg

DSC_6391-1 $150.jpg

Those are nice looking clams are they showing new shell growth?

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received a Crocea today from Pieces of the Ocean. I am new to them so can't say much other than it is bright and reactive thus far.

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I to have had a similar experience with new clam mortality. I appreciate all the info. Please continue to report your success and failures. I will do the same with future purchases.

OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I to have had a similar experience with new clam mortality. I appreciate all the info. Please continue to report your success and failures. I will do the same with future purchases.

Yes it would be wonderful to build up a list of our clam buying experiences with different vendors, and what seems to be working and what doesn't. It has been very frustrating to go from keeping them easily to not being able to keep alive for more then a few weeks, while having no clue why.

OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered two liveaquaria clams before. I did bleach one as my light was stronger than what it used to have. But it recovered after I tuned down my light and remained healthy.
7772be4403ddaf0c0e7c1eb741bb309f.jpg

That's a beautiful clam

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten several Tridacna from LA/DD over the years, for the most the clams were healthy. I did receive a bad batch with PMD a couple years ago.
This clam is Hippopus hippopus that I have had over year.
sept8clam.jpg

OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten several Tridacna from LA/DD over the years, for the most the clams were healthy. I did receive a bad batch with PMD a couple years ago.
This clam is Hippopus hippopus that I have had over year.
sept8clam.jpg

I love H. Hippopus it is my personal favorite and you have a beautiful one!

SPS Junky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy everyone,

I'm looking for a 3" - 6" aquacultured T. derasa clam. My minimum is 3". Anything under that is too small and shipping is too hard on them. Most don't survive the stress. I've been looking for a while now and can't seem to find anyone who isn't pushing them out at 2". I've had and grown clams out for years and never once brought them in under 3". I did note someone in this thread mentioned a pinched mantle on a clam he bought, and just to add some user friendly information here, pinched mantles indicate a protozoan is present, and it's typically easy to remedy. Whenever I bring in clams and discover a mantle pinch, I dip them for 20 - 30 minutes in straight RO water--yes, RO water, no salt, heated to tank temp and buffed to pH of 8.2 or 8.3. This is a sure cure for protozoans. I learned this process from a licensed wholesaler friend who brought maricultured clams in from various island vendors and always dipped them as I mentioned here. I used a clean 5G pail with gentle circulation. That process saved many a clam. Hope you don't mind my sharing that here. I'd be happy to hear from anyone who might know of a retailer who has T. derasa clams anywhere from 3-6" in size. I prefer T. derasa and T. squamosa over Maximas and Crocea for a couple reasons. They can grow to almost 2 feet if they're well-cared for, and they're much hardier than Maximas and Croceas, too. Thanks so much for having a look at my post, and I look forward to any retailer info anyone might provide on the clammies.

SPS Junky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops--I should add that I'm referring to the T. derasa growing to about 2 feet if properly cared for. I've not seen a T. squamosa at two feet.

TL Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy everyone,

I'm looking for a 3" - 6" aquacultured T. derasa clam. My minimum is 3". Anything under that is too small and shipping is too hard on them. Most don't survive the stress. I've been looking for a while now and can't seem to find anyone who isn't pushing them out at 2". I've had and grown clams out for years and never once brought them in under 3". I did note someone in this thread mentioned a pinched mantle on a clam he bought, and just to add some user friendly information here, pinched mantles indicate a protozoan is present, and it's typically easy to remedy. Whenever I bring in clams and discover a mantle pinch, I dip them for 20 - 30 minutes in straight RO water--yes, RO water, no salt, heated to tank temp and buffed to pH of 8.2 or 8.3. This is a sure cure for protozoans. I learned this process from a licensed wholesaler friend who brought maricultured clams in from various island vendors and always dipped them as I mentioned here. I used a clean 5G pail with gentle circulation. That process saved many a clam. Hope you don't mind my sharing that here. I'd be happy to hear from anyone who might know of a retailer who has T. derasa clams anywhere from 3-6" in size. I prefer T. derasa and T. squamosa over Maximas and Crocea for a couple reasons. They can grow to almost 2 feet if they're well-cared for, and they're much hardier than Maximas and Croceas, too. Thanks so much for having a look at my post, and I look forward to any retailer info anyone might provide on the clammies.

I've got three ORA derasas at 4". $65 each.

DSC_7964-1.jpg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost more clams from ORA than anywhere else. Divers den has been great. My thoughts are you can't put everything on the vendor. Clams don't ship well and buying clams under 3" is way riskier no matter who sells them. Point is, most vendors have healthy clams and buying from one or the other doesn't guarantee there survival rate.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back