Where to buy healthy clams?

SPS Junky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for your replies! I just checked out Diver's Den and they had no T. derasas in stock. To be honest, I'm reluctant to order from them because they're essentially LiveAquaria, just a different division. A friend of mine ordered from them not too long ago and out of the four animals he ordered, including a fish, a clam, and a couple corals, only one survived and that was just barely. Not a good track record. It never used to be that way with them before the company as sold. Sad.

I appreciate the heads up from TL Reefs on the 4" T. derasas. I'll be contacting them. Thanks to Reefers Direct, too, but I'm not interested in Maximas right now.

I appreciate all your responses! You rock!

albyone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this thread... I want a giant 14 in clam... I tried twice my first died I want to blame the light I had but it didn't lose color. The second I think my blenny bit the mantel trying to clean it... what's a good par reading for tridacna maxima?

albyone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Divers den gets 4" plus derasas in, just have to check daily at 5pm central time. I snagged a 5" from there for $99 and they were having free shipping promo.

I don't think the promotional shipping will end I think when they first started it... was until august... I like it for ordering live food though

Jennie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bought a crocea from clams direct about 5 or 6 years ago. It is no longer under my care but is very much happy and living. I was sad to see they shut down when I got back into the hobby last year :(

Thanks for the suggestion on ORA clams. I know live aquaria sells clams shipped directly from ORA's FL facility the only thing that keeps me from pressing buy is the size they sell them. 1-1.5" is super tiny and I doubt the success of successfully rearing them from this size. But if anyone has experiences to the contrary I would love to hear!
I bought one a couple months ago and it died in days.

SPS Junky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following up after I posted in this thread asking if anyone knew a vendor that offered healthy aquacultured clams, specifically a T. derasa at least 3" in size but preferably larger. I appreciate all the comments offered by everyone and wanted to give a shout out to Josh at TL Reefs, an R2R sponsor, who responded in the thread with a photo of some of the aquacultured T. derasas he had in stock that were about 4". I'm fussy about my clams and had a good conversation with Josh and ascertained he has plenty of experience with and a long-time working knowledge of Tridacna clams. I ordered a 4" T. derasa from him and TL Reefs, and it came in in great health and was packed to the nines. Kudos to Josh and TL Reefs for the great service and healthy clam. If you're in the market for a clam, corals, fish, or inverts, please give TL Reefs a try. If you have any questions, Josh is happy to spend time with you to be sure you're comfortable with everything about your purchase. Thanks again Josh! Here's a photo of my new T. derasa from TL Reefs!
IMG_1662.JPG

OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following up after I posted in this thread asking if anyone knew a vendor that offered healthy aquacultured clams, specifically a T. derasa at least 3" in size but preferably larger. I appreciate all the comments offered by everyone and wanted to give a shout out to Josh at TL Reefs, an R2R sponsor, who responded in the thread with a photo of some of the aquacultured T. derasas he had in stock that were about 4". I'm fussy about my clams and had a good conversation with Josh and ascertained he has plenty of experience with and a long-time working knowledge of Tridacna clams. I ordered a 4" T. derasa from him and TL Reefs, and it came in in great health and was packed to the nines. Kudos to Josh and TL Reefs for the great service and healthy clam. If you're in the market for a clam, corals, fish, or inverts, please give TL Reefs a try. If you have any questions, Josh is happy to spend time with you to be sure you're comfortable with everything about your purchase. Thanks again Josh! Here's a photo of my new T. derasa from TL Reefs!
IMG_1662.JPG

Beautiful clam!

ostrow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving this. LA/DD is now 0 for 4 on clams. They all come smaller than they list and all dead within 3 days. I am told DD no longer QTs, it is the same stuff as LA which is the same as Petco. Same wholesaler same origins same water. No good.

I've looked at some who posted here (reefer direct) and some mentioned here (pacific east....former Dr.Mac) and zero clams listed Not even a link for clams.

To reefs....I'm hunting for a nice squamosa or blue rimmed derasa. If you ever have any....

Meanwhile any other vendors people know of?

Last edited:

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a 6 inch ultra blue maxima clam from King Corals in Pa. I got it at the drag farmers market in ct. I will keep you posted on its health.

BootyPup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a 6 inch ultra blue maxima clam from King Corals in Pa. I got it at the drag farmers market in ct. I will keep you posted on its health.

Man, I wish I could have gone today :(

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if DD has QT or not, and I have personally not had luck with clams from them except derasa, however LA for years got stock from quality marine, same huge wholesaler as petco, and DD just hand picks from QM along with some mother colonies they have. So they have always (at least past years) used same source for fish at least as petco, and I know petco has ORA clams and coral from time to time as well. Most petco are not run well, but the stock from quality marine is solid until hits petco systems.

ostrow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No more hand picking. No more qt. What once made DD great and LA good is now kaput.

Derasa is what I have been trying. 4 tried 4 dead

ostrow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you tour DD or call them to find that out?
I totally appreciate the question and healthy skepticism.

While I did not personally visit and am not going to out my sources, all I can say is I fully trust those who have so informed me. Having worked once as a journalist and aware of the mountains of misinformation on sites like this I do not post such things unless it's well founded. My personal observations of my last 4 orders adds to that confidence.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you tour DD or call them to find that out?
They told my wife there procedures and how they hold the clams for a bit until there ready to post for sale. Can't remember the time frame though. Divers den has been top notch for us. We don't order through live aquaria, strictly divers den.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving this. LA/DD is now 0 for 4 on clams. They all come smaller than they list and all dead within 3 days. I am told DD no longer QTs, it is the same stuff as LA which is the same as Petco. Same wholesaler same origins same water. No good.

I've looked at some who posted here (reefer direct) and some mentioned here (pacific east....former Dr.Mac) and zero clams listed Not even a link for clams.

To reefs....I'm hunting for a nice squamosa or blue rimmed derasa. If you ever have any....

Meanwhile any other vendors people know of?
Pacific east gets clams time to time. Keep checking back. I believe he hand picks them. Dr. Mac and staff have always been very helpful so if you shoot him an email I'm sure they can give you a time frame on when clams will arrive .

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back