Where to buy healthy clams?

TL Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've got lots of maxima and crocea in stock. Super healthy, and in our possession since December!

https://tlreefs.com/collections/clams-1

DSC_9397-1.jpg
DSC_9401-1.jpg
DSC_9402-1.jpg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally appreciate the question and healthy skepticism.

While I did not personally visit and am not going to out my sources, all I can say is I fully trust those who have so informed me. Having worked once as a journalist and aware of the mountains of misinformation on sites like this I do not post such things unless it's well founded. My personal observations of my last 4 orders adds to that confidence.

Well that’s too bad. Was it the buyout that made them change? I am curious if one was to call DD if they would admit not hand picking livestock and holding. I am friends with Kevin the director of DD on Facebook but I hate bugging people in their personal life about business

It’s interesting if they went downhill with clams as most are ORA or biota which is the same as most lfs

As I have not had luck with DD either I just wonder why exactly. Do have a derasa got a two month ago that’s doing great. Many of the clams sold now are really tiny, maybe that has something to do with it.

Last edited:

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhh, I want another crocea so badly. I miss my baby I had for almost 10yrs (full grown when got it). I have a derasa and maxima currently. I also miss my squammi (darn snail ate it, yes, thought it was reef safe- not). Anyway, I always like to hand pick. So, I do not get many chances. Good luck!

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s too bad. Was it the buyout that made them change? I am curious if one was to call DD if they would admit not hand picking livestock and holding. I am friends with Kevin the director of DD on Facebook but I hate bugging people in their personal life about business

It’s interesting if they went downhill with clams as most are ORA or biota which is the same as most lfs

As I have not had luck with DD either I just wonder why exactly. Do have a derasa got a two month ago that’s doing great. Many of the clams sold now are really tiny, maybe that has something to do with it.

I added a DD clam and it died within a week. 2 weeks later my 11 year old Derasa kicked the bucket likely from something that came with the DD clam. No other explanation. Just used my credit on file for this Blue Squamy. Have had it for 6 days and its almost settled and doing well. I think there are a few things here. Clams just dont ship well. Small clams are difficuly to care for. Getting small clams that dont ship well is a recipe for disaster. Most of the clams on DD are under 3 inches. I have never had any issues with their fish or coral. So far with their clams I am 1 for 3. The one that lived was 4 inches. The 2 that died were both under 3.

20180301_205521.jpg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a DD clam and it died within a week. 2 weeks later my 11 year old Derasa kicked the bucket likely from something that came with the DD clam. No other explanation. Just used my credit on file for this Blue Squamy. Have had it for 6 days and its almost settled and doing well. I think there are a few things here. Clams just dont ship well. Small clams are difficuly to care for. Getting small clams that dont ship well is a recipe for disaster. Most of the clams on DD are under 3 inches. I have never had any issues with their fish or coral. So far with their clams I am 1 for 3. The one that lived was 4 inches. The 2 that died were both under 3.

20180301_205521.jpg

Years ago I had something similar happen, a new clam had "something" that wiped out my entire collection. I try and post on clam threads about the importance of clam QT until you see growth on the new arrival.

That clam is AMAZING! I want to see that bad boy at 15".

OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've got lots of maxima and crocea in stock. Super healthy, and in our possession since December!

https://tlreefs.com/collections/clams-1

DSC_9397-1.jpg
DSC_9401-1.jpg
DSC_9402-1.jpg

I have heard many good things about your stock. My new system is cycling now so give me about 4 months and I will be placing an order! Do you ever get in or could you keep an eye out for a healthy Hippopus?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard many good things about your stock. My new system is cycling now so give me about 4 months and I will be placing an order! Do you ever get in or could you keep an eye out for a healthy Hippopus?

Nice but I think they are a little on the high side.

TL Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! We import our clams directly from the farms, and currently only have sources for crocea and maxima. Woking on adding derasa and squamosa to the list, but no luck yet.

OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice but I think they are a little on the high side.
With the amount of doa or dead in less then 15 day clams I’ve gone through it’s worth it to me to pay a premium for health

OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! We import our clams directly from the farms, and currently only have sources for crocea and maxima. Woking on adding derasa and squamosa to the list, but no luck yet.
Well a crocea and a maxima it will he then haha

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the amount of doa or dead in less then 15 day clams I’ve gone through it’s worth it to me to pay a premium for health

We have a LFS that has been getting the big maximas in and selling them for $79.99. I keep saying I need to buy one but always end up spending my budget on zoas. It is real hard for me to pay these prices for clams. When I first started I was getting derasa for $15 and nice maixmas for $30. Of course back then they weren't selling "gold" clams as ultra colored or a strange pattern as an expensive "one of a kind".

OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@TL Reefs I am finally almost ready to get a clam again. Any idea when you will have them back in stock?

TL Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TL Reefs I am finally almost ready to get a clam again. Any idea when you will have them back in stock?
We have some maxima and crocea right now, but want to hold them a little while before shipping. Should be ready in the next 2-3 weeks!

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I am not ready for anything yet, but it is sounding like I will be keeping an eye out for @TL Reefs when I get my system up running and stable.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Are these all cultured or any of them wild collected?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have some maxima and crocea right now, but want to hold them a little while before shipping. Should be ready in the next 2-3 weeks!

Any update on when you will have some crocea and maxima available?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back