Where to buy mangrove plants with aerial roots?

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Just curious about if you've seen folks selling mangrove plants that are bigger than just the seedlings with only a couple leaves, I can find those everywhere. Thinking about building a nano mangrove lagoon, but wondering if there's options if I didn't want to grow them out myself. I recently watched a @Bulk Reef Supply video where in the background there's a mangrove tank. The one in the center is about the size I'm after. Is that kind of plant take a few years to grow that big? I'm patient when it comes to grow coral but this would be an office tank and I'd rather not wait that long :)

Then of course there's tank like this one that are pretty incredible.

1620092972365.png

BurlyWizard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, mangroves can take a couple years to get that large. They also grow faster in freshwater, so it's not uncommon for people dedicating a mangrove tank to grow them in fresh for some time before setting up/adding them to the saltwater aquarium. In terms of buying that size, there are some ebay listings that clarify them by size, but I have only seen it specified to a 16"-20" range, nothing like what you can see in that photo. It does seem like they are growing in popularity of late, so we may get more traction. Your best success for one that size is likely to scan local forums/Facebook groups for someone nearby who could offer one up. However, I did ask my LFS to see what they could do, and they got a couple 20 inchers which I used, but still nothing that had converted from rooted seed to "tree" yet. Feel free to DM to chat more.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 156 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.5%
Back