Where to buy quality live rock in Santa Cruz/San Jose/Monterey?

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I'm gearing up to start my first reef tank, an evo 13.5, and I was wondering if there is an LFS within reasonable driving distance of Santa Cruz to pick up quality live rock?

Rc1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Santa Cruz has a small LFS. License to krill I believe. There’s Neptune in San Jose

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres also a small shop on seabright. Pet shop santa cruz. Not very much selection but he can place orders and might sell you some of his cycled live rock in his big display tank. Give them a call. His name is Aaron. Havent been to that newer store on river street yet but pics look cool. Neptunes only sells dry real reef rock now. No more live rock like at their milpitas store. King aquarium always had the nicest rock selection IMO. Two big ponds full of tonga branch and regular fiji rock. Havent been there in years so i dont know if they still have the stuff available.

Rc1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of actually. There’s a local reefer here. I forget his screen name, and he advertises on Craigslist. He has Fiji and Tonga rock. I bought about 60 pounds from him.

Cruz Mc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if License to Krill has live rock or not. I don’t think they do, but I could be wrong. Great shop though. I’m usually in there a few times a week, lol.

Rc1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, his place is super clean. Doesn’t hurt to give him a call

OP
OP
F

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I had my heart set on buying rock from TBS but I'll check out the local options first.

OP
OP
F

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of actually. There’s a local reefer here. I forget his screen name, and he advertises on Craigslist. He has Fiji and Tonga rock. I bought about 60 pounds from him.

I didn't find anything on Craigslist, but please let me know if you remember his screen name.. fiji rock sounds amazing.

Cruz Mc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the guy that sells fish/coral out of his house? Tiger Lily’s house of fish or something like that?

U

User1

View Badges
Thanks everyone! I had my heart set on buying rock from TBS but I'll check out the local options first.

Follow your heart....seriously. Just do it.

That was my plan with my upgrade earlier in the year from a 40 to a 210. Two in college and I couldn't do it. I went with 150 lbs of dry Pukani instead. While it is starting to mature now 8 months later and looks good if I was to do things over it would be to just wait it out and get the rock from TBS. Hind sight is always 20/20 but figured I'd throw this out there.

Rc1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't find anything on Craigslist, but please let me know if you remember his screen name.. fiji rock sounds amazing.

He took down the rock posting. It was this guy though in the picture selling sand. Wouldn’t hurt to ask if he has any rock still.

7b967226335db079b408718df280eec0.jpg

JsL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Welcome to the hobby. If you're ever in the Newark/Fremont area, you can have some purple mushrooms from my tank. Good first coral that looks pretty cool.

BTW, 13.5 gallons is not a lot of water volume, so keep your bioload low or keep up with water changes.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back