Where to buy quarantined clownfish?

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in an apartment and don't have room for a QT setup but would like to add a clown or two to my tank. I was just wondering if there's a place that sells QT'd clowns? I know ORA breeds them (and would think the tanks would be very healthy since it's 100% in-house) but I'm unsure.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LiveAquaria, especially the Diver's Den part of the website is all treated and quarantined livestock/coral etc.

I would bet every single fish they sell goes out with something on them, their process is not good enough to count as fully quarantined at all. TSM corals is about the only retailer that has a solid protocol I would recommend for that.

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well this is what it says on that portion of the website:

The Diver's Den® WYSIWYG Store Difference
What makes aquatic life available in the Diver's Den® WYSIWYG Store truly one-of-a-kind is the 5-point acclimation, stress reduction, disease prevention, quarantine, and conditioning protocols we employ under the strict supervision of our dedicated LiveAquaria® professionals.

I don't know if they would just be lying, as big as liveaquaria is they must have some name to uphold.

reefing is my hobby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a sort of behind the scenes tour of at least one of their facilities. In the video, you will see they discuss quarantine to a small extent and can see for yourself their separation tanks as well their captive-bred isolation. Does it give a full breakdown, no it doesn't but it does give you more tools for you to help you decide if you wish to do business with them.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can actually call about fish that are on divers din and ask about the process. You will find today that the process is not like the past. They usually tell you that the fish was in qt and observed for 2 weeks. No issues were observed so fish was put on site with no treatment.

Been there done that. Good luck.

If you dont plan on qt and treating the fish yourself. You would want captive bred fish like you are looking at....that have not been exposed to wild fish holding tanks. I believe pacific east aquaculture usually has some.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a clown from divers den on Wednesday this week and she has an injured mouth, white stringy poo and will not eat. First experience with a shipped fish I won’t order from them again. Better off buying local and setting up a temporary small QT.
Edit: it’s a captive bred lightning maroon.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never trust any QT but my own.

You're talking about 1 clownfish. You won't need much room to set up a 10 gallon QT.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Liveaquaria “Florida Facility” is ORA. So when you order ora stuff there it gets drop shipped from ORA.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in an apartment and don't have room for a QT setup but would like to add a clown or two to my tank. I was just wondering if there's a place that sells QT'd clowns? I know ORA breeds them (and would think the tanks would be very healthy since it's 100% in-house) but I'm unsure.

If you're in SoCal, I would hit up Adam @ Ocean Devotion LA (https://oceandevotionla.com). I only buy my livestock from him. He QT's everything and I have had 0% death rate so far. Have purchased 6 fish from him and will be getting another 8 from him in the next couple of weeks. Just waiting for QT process to finish.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are serious about disease treated fish there are a couple places but humblefish is a member here on Reef2reef that takes a person’s request. A lot of us admire the work he’s done and the tested methods of treatments he uses.

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I checked out Humblefish’s forum and will probably order from Bay Bridge as suggested. The Florida Facility options still makes me nervous (what if it’s wrong on the website or something) so maybe I’ll avoid that. I’ve never trusted Live Aquaria or LFS so I end up with a super under stocked tank wondering why I don’t have nitrates or phosphates. I could feed more but it feels wasteful without critters to eat it.

There’s no room for a 10gal quarantine system in my apartment that’s stuffed with camping gear, surfboards, telescopes, etc that came from my house. I’d rather pay more for a fish than have a 10gal in the middle of my living room haha.

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Quarantine" means a million different things. And no, you cannot trust anyone's process, or definition, except your own. Do you want a fish that has been handled carefully and observed for ailment for a period of time? Sure, buy from a reputable vendor. But if you want fish that have been through a rigorous protocol for parasite removal, you really cannot trust anyone. I've never seen a situation where someone had a fully running reef tank of any size but also truly (truly truly) had no room for a 10g QT setup. It is just a question of priorities. Just my two cents of wisdom, earned the hard way...

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, an unsightly quarantine tank wedged somewhere (likely middle of my living room) in my little apartment sits low on priorities. I'm single, a date already sees the telescopes, 3d printer, little reef, gaming computer, bikes, etc :p

Not having a quarantine tank means taking a different approach that is possible with companies like Marine Collectors (knew about them before but was looking for other recs), people like Humblefish, etc and being patient about stocking the tank -- doesn't bother me.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back