Where to find live brine shrimp? And how much is an ounce really?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm beginning to think that my efforts to grow out brine shrimp to adulthood are doomed for a variety of reasons. And I'd really, really like to have a number of live brine so I can finally wean some fish. But, if you buy live adult brine shrimp, where are you finding it? I know LiveAquaria sells it . But are there any other online sellers of brine shrimp? Additionally, how many brine shrimp are in an ounce of brine shrimp? Or in other words, how many feedings can one ounce of brine shrimp provide to a single standard fish (think clownfish, cardinalfish, dottybacks, etc.) ?

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White worms are a great live food to culture if you want something you can gutload. A thriving culture will eat just about anything you care to feed them.

Back in he 70’s and early 80’s all the fish shops in my area sold adult live brine. They kept them in glass iced tea jugs with the spigots near the bottom, and you could get them ”on tap” like beer....

They are “very” challenging to raise to adult size in any sort of useful density...

right4ngle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatic collection is hayward had bags full of brine for about a dollar last time i checked
Aquatic collection is my LFS and if I’m correct they have live brine every Saturday and Sunday I think you should call to double check though

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back