Where to find M80 Metal Halide ballasts?

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help me locate M80 ballasts for Metal Halide. I know Hamilton still sells them however they're $149. If that's the only option that's fine but I thought I would ask. It seems like these ballasts should be available elsewhere and when I Google for them I do find M80 ballasts however I don't know if all M80 ballasts are the same.

I guess my posts really comes down to are all M80 ballasts the same and therefore any M80 ballast will work to drive metal halides or is there something special about I should be looking for?

Thank you

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help me locate M80 ballasts for Metal Halide. I know Hamilton still sells them however they're $149. If that's the only option that's fine but I thought I would ask. It seems like these ballasts should be available elsewhere and when I Google for them I do find M80 ballasts however I don't know if all M80 ballasts are the same.

I guess my posts really comes down to are all M80 ballasts the same and therefore any M80 ballast will work to drive metal halides or is there something special about I should be looking for?

Thank you

You’ll want to match up the the description and specifications with what ever M80 Ballast you get . Does the light you have a specific type of plug or will it be wired directly to the ballast. These are the things you must consider. You’ll have to do a little research on your end , but it could save you a few bucks.

When in doubt go with the Hamilton’s.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try and find some used ones, but for new, Hamilton is all that I know of.

I would not trust chinese (Odyssea, or the like) or cheap m80 ballasts. The few that I have taken apart are NOT m80 at all.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Thank you
Hamilton's are well made in a clean looking robust housing. They'll last a very very long time. Unfortunately M80 ballast assemblies are harder to come by than they once were, but hamilton is reliable on having them in stock.

An alternative would be a switchable electronic ballast with an "hqi" setting. it's not exactly the same as a real m80, but is a reasonable facsimile and would allow you to try other bulb types as well if you're using mogul bulbs, just so you weren't married to Radiums

Back