Where to get a breeding pair of clownfish

dangernartz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to try my hand at breeding clownfish. Any tips or recommendations on where I can get a pair of breeding clowns. Everywhere I’ve looked only has juveniles. Would like to get a pair that is spawning already if I can. Thanks for any help!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bonded pair is where I would start.
Low stress environment. 2FCF290E-A8CE-4E88-864B-940B8907D4F3.jpeg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just buy the largest clownfish at your local fish store and a juvenile or tiny clownfish with it (males mature pretty fast). Moving a breeding pair causes them to stop breeding for a long time usually, while a new pair of clownfish can start breeding in less than a year if they are old enough. Also make sure you know what you are going to do with the clownfish babies afterward as they are pretty hard to sell. Most LFS dont want/need anymore clownfish as they are cheap and easy to acquire. You are going to lose money on the endeavor but it is a good learning experience and can be fun.

OP
OP
D

dangernartz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just buy the largest clownfish at your local fish store and a juvenile or tiny clownfish with it (males mature pretty fast). Moving a breeding pair causes them to stop breeding for a long time usually, while a new pair of clownfish can start breeding in less than a year if they are old enough. Also make sure you know what you are going to do with the clownfish babies afterward as they are pretty hard to sell. Most LFS dont want/need anymore clownfish as they are cheap and easy to acquire. You are going to lose money on the endeavor but it is a good learning experience and can be fun.
Not really doing it for the money, just interested in learning the process and everything that goes into it and the captive bred process. It would be cool to sell them or trade them to lfs for store credit though. You think they wouldn’t take some of the “designer” clown fish? The few LFS near me never have any in stock

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it would matter the area but near me no stores wud take them and if they did it would be for dirt cheap. Clownfish are sort of being overbred rn

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back