Where to get a harliequin shrimp?

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have """some""" asternia starfish eating my zoas, and I have an order with over 300 dollars worth of zoas shipping this monday
I cant find any harlequins in stock
Where should I get one?!

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about placing the zoas in a small low-profile container and harvesting out the asterinas nightly as they show up for over the next several weeks?

otherwise, you’re looking at repeatedly buying starfish to feed the harlequin shrimp post-asterina eradication (unless you plan to rehome it).

i will add that bongo shrimp are also obligate-asterina/micro-brittlestar-eaters. LA Diver’s Den has a pair right now (really pricey though).

respectfully,
rick

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about placing the zoas in a small low-profile container and harvesting out the asterinas nightly as they show up for over the next several weeks?

otherwise, you’re looking at repeatedly buying starfish to feed the harlequin shrimp post-asterina eradication (unless you plan to rehome it).

i will add that bongo shrimp are also obligate-asterina/micro-brittlestar-eaters. LA Diver’s Den has a pair right now (really pricey though).

respectfully,
rick
I was thinking of that, I have a shroom box
that or a trap

I have a way to get cheap starfish, I have already been planning on getting a harliquinn for a while

and yeah..... I saw that......... only place I can find them too

PigFarmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same boat.. According to to 2 LFS there is a shortage of them for 1 reason or 6 others at this time... They both have had harleys on their wholesale orders for close to 8 weeks now and neither place have yet to receive any

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... must be that annual convention in bali all the ocean’s harlequins go to this time of year. (the hawaiian ones have their own soirée next month).

;Hilarious

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salgado aquatics
is 50 shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????
This is the highest over night I have ever seen

PigFarmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do people actually have success ordering shrimp thru the mail during the winter months? I havent been brave enough to choose this option yet.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salgado aquatics
is 50 shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????
This is the highest over night I have ever seen

They are probably still losing money on shipping at $50. People underestimate how much shipping an overnight package actually costs. The big companies get large discounts but smaller companies are stuck paying higher shipping rates and then having customers expect the low shipping prices big companies can offer. I am not a business but I used to ship a lot of packages and have a Fedex account with a 25% discount. I still can’t ship even a small overnight box for less than $70 unless it’s an in state shipment.

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are probably still losing money on shipping at $50. People underestimate how much shipping an overnight package actually costs. The big companies get large discounts but smaller companies are stuck paying higher shipping rates and then having customers expect the low shipping prices big companies can offer. I am not a business but I used to ship a lot of packages and have a Fedex account with a 25% discount. I still can’t ship even a small overnight box for less than $70 unless it’s an in state shipment.
true true, we are just spoiled

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love aqua locker, thank you for the tip, I used the free shipping at 100 promo and got some other live stock I've been needing and two fish on my bucket list
turning this around into a nice experience you know

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do people actually have success ordering shrimp thru the mail during the winter months? I havent been brave enough to choose this option yet.
I ordered 3 freshwater crabs in the dead of winter once and a blizzard slowed the shipment so they died. The place I got them refunded my money with store credit and I got them shipped again over night and they were fine.

Back