Where to get a tray for under stand to catch emergency overflow water?

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THis would be for a 48x24 and a 36x18 tank. I live on 4th floor. I dont have catch trays now. But I should especially since my replacement tanks will have external Ghost overflows.
Where can I find such an odd tray? It should be a few inches larger than those dimensions for the stands to fit
TIA!

Greatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they exist. However, if you are paranoid that your tank will leak, what you could get are leak sensors.
or, if your a super handy DIY person, you could just make one using pond liner.

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be able to use shower liner from Lowe’s or Home Depot. Lowe’s by me recently had 5’ wide, length is by the foot and your choice.
I’ve seen it used under a sump within the stand, might be able to use underneath the stand and rig it in the back to take care of the overflow. Would have to create a lip around the edges to contain any water.

Last edited:

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that a tray won’t be able to hold that much water. A tray that is 52”x28”x2” will hold 12.6 gallons. So little spills and slow leaks would be fine.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say- Replacement tanks. Are you getting new stands too?
If so you could ask them to line the bottom & up the sides with PVC.
To my surprise my stand came that way & has saved me a few times already.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies
The most water in my sump I think is about 20 gallons since the sump is about 40. the max I'd need to catch seems to be 20 gallons. Maybe max 15.
I'm not getting new stands. The bigger tank is the same size as the old one. The smaller one Is a bit larger than the current small one, but I laready have a stand b/c that tank was supposed to have been made months ago.
PVC sounds like a good idea. I guess it's not possible now :-/

Curtain idea is good.. but then with it being a lip up, it woudl block the cabinet doors. I guess same woudl be true for a tray, but the tray would have more surface area and less depth.

I hav rea leak sensor I never unboxed, Just almost forgot about it which is sad. I think I was thinking that it might not detect the water since the water might flow away from where the sensor of the leak is.

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably didn’t use the correct term, didn’t mean a shower liner that is hung.
Meant Shower Pan Liner (used underneath a shower), it’s thicker.

Picture below isn’t mine, but sort of describes how I saw it used.

D2D26636-EFA8-4A28-9300-B48EC6270A48.png

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spill all the time and rely on an epoxy floor with a drain and I would probably be divorced if I did not have that level of protection.

If it was me - in your situation - I would build a plywood tray and seal it with epoxy paint. I would back that up with a pump to move the water back into the tank or sump (to manage a slow leak and save the tank). Or... one that drains down a nearby drain if the priority is to save the building - but sacrifice the tank in a disaster.

The most common leaks for me are from peristaltic pumps and skimmer overflows or any type of user error from forgetting to turn a valve. Stuck float valves worry me too (but, knock on wood with redundancy I have never been burned too badly by one of those.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hav rea leak sensor I never unboxed, Just almost forgot about it which is sad. I think I was thinking that it might not detect the water since the water might flow away from where the sensor of the leak is.

Ya the single point leak sensors really need to get lucky and have it leak in the right spot before it does any good. However the "rope" style sensors are much more useful. Or if you build a tray then a single point sensor can be used in there to alert you (hopefully before the tray fills all the way).

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spill all the time and rely on an epoxy floor with a drain and I would probably be divorced if I did not have that level of protection.

If it was me - in your situation - I would build a plywood tray and seal it with epoxy paint. I would back that up with a pump to move the water back into the tank or sump (to manage a slow leak and save the tank). Or... one that drains down a nearby drain if the priority is to save the building - but sacrifice the tank in a disaster.

The most common leaks for me are from peristaltic pumps and skimmer overflows or any type of user error from forgetting to turn a valve. Stuck float valves worry me too (but, knock on wood with redundancy I have never been burned too badly by one of those.
I really like this idea. I can find the time to make this also.. The tanks are next to my patio . right on the wall of the patio. So I can plumb a drain tube from the diy drip pan out there, and it iwll then just drip to my patio and over side of building. WAAAAYYY better than water in apt of course :-D ..
I'll still search for pans.. but I doubt I'll find. this will be my fall back .
The stand in the pic in the otehr post is a really good idea. TOo bad my stands are already all done and made.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks exactly what I was looking for, but i'm worried about the fact that the tray seems to have long ridges on the bottom, somewhat like ripples. I'm thinking the 1000+ lb plus weight of the tank on that woudl crack the material since it's not totally flat on the floor (?). I can always call them to see waht they say. It seems though somehow it wouldnt crack only b/c they seem to be made for heavy machinery to go on them.
The dimensions on the site dont seem to work for the stand and tank, though. It woudl need to be 50-52", which they have, and front to back about 32". and low enough for the stand door to open. about 2". I'll call them to see if there's an option.
Thanks for that!

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grainger has tons of stuff, but there is a lot of trial and error. Their employees are pretty helpful but they only only know so much.

Grsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have the inside of my stand with a 2 inch lip around it all painted with flex seal. I have leak detectors all around the bottom and my apex will shut off skimmer ato return pump if there is a leak. You can do similar thing under the whole stand if you have an apex

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talk with Than over at Tidal Gardens. He had some very nice tray’s made for under his tanks. They were sleek looking.

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your're going to have to make it yourself.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back