Where to get Cheapest FedEx overnight shipping rates

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ShipYourAquatics - 45%, for $2.50 insurance on each package they will refund it if its 1 minute or greater regardless of reason, no questions asked. Pretty solid option in my opinion. Excellent customer service as well.
Shipnex - Only used a couple times but I believe 40%, uncertain if they refund on late delivery.
Smartelogix/eshipper - 60% off retail rate (not fees), No refunds, no customer service.
Choice Global - 60% off retail rate (also seem to have lower fees such as residential delivery and fuel surcharge), accounts not charged for late deliveries unless delay due to weather or "acts of God" I was told that this was FedEx's policy for not charging them.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for sharing, that is great info.

Choice Global looks appealing aside from that exceptions clause. Late deliveries are pretty much the only situation where I end up having to deal with refunds, so I always steer clear of companies that offer refunds unless its late. That exceptions clause looks like it would cover any situation that led to a late shipment :)

FacebookJail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing, that is great info.

Choice Global looks appealing aside from that exceptions clause. Late deliveries are pretty much the only situation where I end up having to deal with refunds, so I always steer clear of companies that offer refunds unless its late. That exceptions clause looks like it would cover any situation that led to a late shipment :)
Yeah, but their policy is a direct reflection of FedEx's... they aren't going to refund you if they can't get refunded. If there is a delay, notify them and they will contact FedEx directly and if FedEx is at fault you won't be charged.

Basically, don't ever ship if the weather is iffy, especially at the Memphis Hub.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had fedx mis deliver packages to not even an address close to mine. I've had them HOURS and even a full day late for "guaranteed" over night.
They have NEVER given a refund. Even when it was gross negligence on the part of the driver. And any seller I've dealt with has told me the same and just has to eat the cost because Fedx (or UPS) will not back up even insured packages. And I mean what are you gonna do? Sue them? If you have 20K laying around to blow in order to retain a lawyer and start processing, a few hundred bucks probably isn't worth messing with.

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smartelogix sucks SO bad.
You get some level of discounts but god FORBID you have ANY issue bc they’re not gonna pick up the phone. Package arrives late and you want a refund? NOPE your prices are too cheap, no refund for you. Management is too busy showing off their cash to do any actual work in the office.

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, but their policy is a direct reflection of FedEx's... they aren't going to refund you if they can't get refunded. If there is a delay, notify them and they will contact FedEx directly and if FedEx is at fault you won't be charged.

Basically, don't ever ship if the weather is iffy, especially at the Memphis Hub.
There’s a new east coast hub, packages don’t always go to memphis anymore. You can tell on the label where they’re going

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely shipyouraquatics.com. I am starting out with 45% savings with the potential to get even more savings once my shipping volume picks up.
Only thing I don’t like about SYA is that if you compare the estimate on their site and one direct from Fedex, fedex’s base rates are cheaper. They can offer you 45% if it’s really 35-40%. I saw this a year or two ago and decided against using them. Really not all that much of a discount

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I don’t like about SYA is that if you compare the estimate on their site and one direct from Fedex, fedex’s base rates are cheaper. They can offer you 45% if it’s really 35-40%. I saw this a year or two ago and decided against using them. Really not all that much of a discount
This is a good point, discussions of percent discounts are probably not an accurate way to compare. Maybe we can compare using a standard benchmark shipment.

For standard overnight LA to NY, with a 2 lb FedEx medium box, I'd be charged $49.50. Thats using account-specific rates directly with FedEx (shipstation discount was not good enough so I asked FedEx for a discount directly)

If someone has a service that can give a lower price for this example shipment, while still allowing refunds for late deliveries, I'd love to hear about it!

Brandon Smith

AquaticArsenal.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good point, discussions of percent discounts are probably not an accurate way to compare. Maybe we can compare using a standard benchmark shipment.

For standard overnight LA to NY, with a 2 lb FedEx medium box, I'd be charged $49.50. Thats using account-specific rates directly with FedEx (shipstation discount was not good enough so I asked FedEx for a discount directly)

If someone has a service that can give a lower price for this example shipment, while still allowing refunds for late deliveries, I'd love to hear about it!

NYC to LA with ship your aquatics for 49.02. I would have to add 2.50 for the refund on shipping. That was for a 6x6x6 box at 2 lbs. My discount will go up also.

Last edited:

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a package shipped overnight from FedX from main and it was nearly 90.00. Seller said that was the best Fedex would give her since she doesn't do a big quantity of shipping. Maybe she needs to be more insistent.

FacebookJail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a new east coast hub, packages don’t always go to memphis anymore. You can tell on the label where they’re going
Yeah, you're right on the airport ID on labels. With Priority Overnight 95%+ will go through Memphis, the remainder Indy or Dallas. There are also international hubs in Miami and Oakland (SF), that assist with global operations.

OCD_Corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you go about setting up an account and getting a discount to allow for competitive shipping prices? I am looking into shipping corals and am not sure where to start. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had fedx mis deliver packages to not even an address close to mine. I've had them HOURS and even a full day late for "guaranteed" over night.
They have NEVER given a refund. Even when it was gross negligence on the part of the driver. And any seller I've dealt with has told me the same and just has to eat the cost because Fedx (or UPS) will not back up even insured packages. And I mean what are you gonna do? Sue them? If you have 20K laying around to blow in order to retain a lawyer and start processing, a few hundred bucks probably isn't worth messing with.

I ship occasionally with Fed Ex express shipping trout eggs to other state hatcheries. Twice we had delays going from VT to VA. We use the recipients account number, so I never see what the ship cost is. The last time we shipped to them, the receiver denied the package since it was a day late. Several month later WE received a bill around $250, we tried to fight it but eventually paid it.

We just got a quote for a similar sized box, 25 lbs, to ship UPS ground within our state would be around $30.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
World Wide Corals has 25$ overnight rates.
There are a couple reasons for that. When you’re moving the volume they are, the discounts are absurdly deep. In the 60-70% off general retail rates. Also when you are buying packing supplies wholesale in the bulk they are, you’re getting those foam shippers for a dollar or two a piece. All that said, on the bottom line they still absorb some of the shipping cost. A package from south Florida to northern Washington state isn’t going to be $25, I don’t care who you are. They just set a rate which covers much of their business and they absorb what doesn’t. Their $500-$1000 per 1/8” frags cover all that overhead.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats exactly it. I find it a little frustrating that some consumers think free shipping or cheap shipping is a real thing.

Yeah, big companies get discounted shipping but theyre paying more what they charge you in the "shipping" line. When shipping costs ~$50 and frags cost >$100 *each* its easy for them to absorb it.

The ones hurt by this are vendors selling for reasonable prices. When you sell frags for $10-$20 you don't have a lot of excess to absorb shipping costs, but you'll still run into customers who think free shipping is a real thing, or that you're overcharging them.

JayKim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people will always present something that will work in their favor. I've been looking up quotes on UPS and FedEx websites and even within Florida, the overnight shipping by 1030 am is $67-$68. Even on EBay cheapest I can get is $48. This is getting ridiculous.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back