Where to get fish to stock a new tank.

jjmuesch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI everyone thanks for welcoming me to the R2R community I have been reading a lot and it seems like a great place! I am getting back into the aquarium hobby about 10 years ago I had a 40 gal FOWLR tank but have been out of the hobby since. I just acquired a 210 gal tank that i am going to try and turn into a fish and softy, lps tank. My main question is about quarantine and where to get fish from. I am slightly concerned about velvet after reading some horror stories on here. My concern though is that I do not know if I have the space/time and experience to set up and preform a proper qt system. Where is everyone getting there fish? how do people feel about prequarintined fish from an online source such as ( dr reef, or tsm or marine collectors)? Also if anyone has any recommendations for local sources in phoenix Arizona. I cant wait to get back into the hobby thank you in advance.

If anyone is local i would love to get involved in the community.

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t trust anyone. All of my fish will go through a QT.

I’m following the latest protocol:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drreefsquarantinedfish.com has great reviews

OP
OP
jjmuesch

jjmuesch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys! Hi mike i have not joined yet will definitely do that. What local store do you use?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern though is that I do not know if I have the space/time and experience to set up and preform a proper qt system.
5 gallon bucket + heater + powerhead. :)

If you're going to be fancy, get a seachem ammonia badge to go along with whatever ammonia test kit you'd use for the process. I also use biofilter gems or some substrate from a cycled tank in a pastic bowl and a cheap hang-on filter, but plenty do without.

If it's wet, it will probably have something on it. That includes fish, rocks, and coral. I've been told multiple times from people that their tanks are clean...only to have pests pop up on whatever I've acquired. Nuisance algae (caulerpa and valonia) are the most common problems; aiptasia is number two.

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just found out that FRAG doesn't post on this site anymore. If you want to join you need to head to their official website to sign up:

I got my two clowns from Artistic Aquariums a couple of weeks ago and they are currently running through my quarantine protocol as I finish assembling my Display Tank. I'm currently following this quarantine protocol:

image-jpg.2266639

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is everyone getting there fish? how do people feel about prequarintined fish from an online source such as ( dr reef, or tsm or marine collectors)? Also if anyone has any recommendations for local sources in phoenix Arizona. I cant wait to get back into the hobby thank you in advance.

If anyone is local i would love to get involved in the community.
Prequarantined is great, a little more expensive, but those 3 are very well trusted. Buying from biota, ORA, or other breeding facilities will also be quarantined. If you dont want to setup a qt that is a great option

OP
OP
jjmuesch

jjmuesch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys I will check out az frag. putting water in the tank and starting my cycle this week. I think I will probably start with just getting. Some clowns and a lawnmower blenny from Dr reef then decide if I want to setup my own quarantine or continue with Dr reef. Do you guys find you lose a lot of fish during quarantine?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back