Where would you place your 1st BTA in this tank?

bReefedBaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a BTA will move about to where they’re happy, so there’s no need for that lesson.
Moving on.....(like a bubbletip)
Looking at my aquarium (picture it as yours) where would you decide on a placement for a BTA to be introduced? High, middle or deeper?

Where is it best location for the BTA to be introduced for the first time in the aquarium?

TIA :)

6E47CFB1-FEBA-4C58-B8EB-843AA63520CE.jpeg

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the most right structure and make it more of an island ( rightside of left structure pointing forward and leftside of middle structure pointing backward should create room and make the rockwork less unnaturally straight) in the sand and place the BTA on that structure.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a BTA will move about to where they’re happy, so there’s no need for that lesson.
Moving on.....(like a bubbletip)
Looking at my aquarium (picture it as yours) where would you decide on a placement for a BTA to be introduced? High, middle or deeper?

Where is it best location for the BTA to be introduced for the first time in the aquarium?

TIA :)

6E47CFB1-FEBA-4C58-B8EB-843AA63520CE.jpeg
If the rocks or pumps (not both) were flip flopped, I'd put it midway up on rock, about 4" below flow so it can stretch up into flow. Also about 4" in front (or behind) main flow. Tank looks pretty newly setup, so I'd wait for tank to age couple weeks before adding RBTA as I think their feet don't like brand new rock work.

There are also glass cups that suction, and if I had one of those I'd leave tank & pumps alone and just stick cup there on left in front of rockwork.

RBTA MIGHT like to put itself in that left hole for some protection. But depending on your intent of that rock work hole you might not be so thrilled. It also might be too large for its foot to feel safe.

If it doesn't like location, then it will roam until it finds its own home. Personally hate when they roam as 1) they'll kill any coral and 2) they could get chopped up in any of my many pump intakes. We've built ours 6 cups from mortar on rocks AFTER figuring out where they like to be in our tank (had to give half away to get down to 6). I have intake covers when any are thinking about splitting as that usually leads to one roaming (but so far they've stayed in right third of my tank; refer photo with my R2R name)

Roaming may be inevitable with a brand new tank, but hoping above ideas reduce roaming tendency. Keep us posted on your successes!

OP
OP
bReefedBaker

bReefedBaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the most right structure and make it more of an island ( rightside of left structure pointing forward and leftside of middle structure pointing backward should create room and make the rockwork less unnaturally straight) in the sand and place the BTA on that structure.

Thank You
If the rocks or pumps (not both) were flip flopped, I'd put it midway up on rock, about 4" below flow so it can stretch up into flow. Also about 4" in front (or behind) main flow. Tank looks pretty newly setup, so I'd wait for tank to age couple weeks before adding RBTA as I think their feet don't like brand new rock work.

There are also glass cups that suction, and if I had one of those I'd leave tank & pumps alone and just stick cup there on left in front of rockwork.

RBTA MIGHT like to put itself in that left hole for some protection. But depending on your intent of that rock work hole you might not be so thrilled. It also might be too large for its foot to feel safe.

If it doesn't like location, then it will roam until it finds its own home. Personally hate when they roam as 1) they'll kill any coral and 2) they could get chopped up in any of my many pump intakes. We've built ours 6 cups from mortar on rocks AFTER figuring out where they like to be in our tank (had to give half away to get down to 6). I have intake covers when any are thinking about splitting as that usually leads to one roaming (but so far they've stayed in right third of my tank; refer photo with my R2R name)

Roaming may be inevitable with a brand new tank, but hoping above ideas reduce roaming tendency. Keep us posted on your successes!

Appreciate all the input! Yes the aquarium is still very new (@ 22 weeks). Cycle completed 4 days ago with great parameters everyday after.

I’m new as well and that’s why I’ve been on R2R just about daily. Learning early from veterans like yourself. I educate myself extensively prior to proceeding with anything.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
22 weeks to do a cycle? Tank looks very new. Not ready for BTA IMO. Where are the fish? Coral? Nutrients? Coralline algae growing?

Not withstanding the above, placing a BTA with the expectation it will stay there is a fools errand. Place it where it suits you but cross your fingers.

OP
OP
bReefedBaker

bReefedBaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
22 weeks to do a cycle? Tank looks very new. Not ready for BTA IMO. Where are the fish? Coral? Nutrients? Coralline algae growing?

Whelp before you replied, you should have asked questions. Maybe read some prior replies, maybe just maybe?

I’ve already explained the aquarium age, I already explained that I’m just educating myself on a subject. Maybe just maybe you shouldn’t lunge towards someone with your assumptions on what one may do.

“Never did I ever say I was getting a BTA today”

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp before you replied, you should have asked questions. Maybe read some prior replies, maybe just maybe?

I’ve already explained the aquarium age, I already explained that I’m just educating myself on a subject. Maybe just maybe you shouldn’t lunge towards someone with your assumptions on what one may do.

I would get one just for the haters lol
I had mine in my tank at 3 months, and it's still going strong a year later

OP
OP
bReefedBaker

bReefedBaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On top of the white rock

That’s going to be the plan. I don’t care to go in messing around with the aquascape. You learn from past experiences and future ‘scapes will be better. I’m happy as it is and have already learned a tremendous amount, including my first mistakes (not aquascaping out of water)

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice. Best to you.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick a hole or crevasse somewhere. It can be vertical or horizontal.

Back