Where's the bubble algae magic treatment???

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I attached a straw (cut at a bias) to the input of a canister filter and vacuumed the bubbles away - extremely effective, and no chemicals!

Tango2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1+ for Vibrant. I had my doubts because I had tried everything. BA kept coming back with a vengeance. Search my threads and you will see how bad my BA was. It’s completely gone now, and has been for several months now.

fmp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a three week treatment with Diflucan for recurrent Bryposis I just realized that I have NO bubble algae .

A4goulet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the emarald crab. I also phsyical scrapped/popped them while siphoning out water during water changes incase spores were released. Emerald crab couldn't get the big ones until I popped them. I can't say this method eradicated the bubble algea but made it much less prevalent.

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the easy way out. I tore down the tank, sterilized it with vinegar, totally swapped out the rock, and essentially started over. That was 3 months ago and not a bubble returned. Now I go over every frag with a magnifier before dipping and again after. Excessive moves for sure, but I only have a 14g, so it wasn't too bad. The upside was I got some hitchhiking zoas and a Stomatella!

Slarti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had horrible bubble algae issues appx 7 years ago. I added a black long spine urchin and it devoured all of it. Finally outgrew my tank so I traded it in on a smaller one at my lfs. I've never had an issue with bubble since. Every now and then I'll see one start growing and the next day it'll be gone.

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yip that's the one! And be on the look out for how clear your water becomes after the very first dose...

See this is what I was worried about....

The clarity probably means all the living phyto you might have floating around feeding your tank has been descimated or eradicated. Right?

Assuming this is some sort of Algacide, it doesn't seem to have a high selectivity, and for me, I have been dosing live phyto cultures to combat macro just post cycle of my tank.

I think I'm gonna try fish first. I have heard some tangs (Purple: (Zebrasoma xanthurum) scopas: (Zebrasoma scopas)) might munch bubble. I have a baby of each in QT along with a two spot bristletooth (Ctenochaetus binotatus)

Anyone know if only the foxface goes for bubble or if it is any other / all rabbit fish?
I'm interested in getting one of the other rabbits since usually multiples won't play nice....but if there's no one out there that can tell me other rabbits have been seen eating bubbles then I'll go for the Lo:

http://m.liveaquaria.com/category/1465/foxface-rabbitfish?c=15+1465

Thanks folks! Good thread

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know where everybody gets that spores are released. Do you think Emerald crabs eat it without popping the bubble algae. I've gotten frags that developed bubble algae after they were placed in the tank, all I did was pick them out with a tweezer and never had an outbreak. Unless you get out every little bit of the Bubble algae it will regrow but it doesn't release spores, that's not how it reproduces.
Is there objective scientific evidence on the reproductive habits of Valonia sp. somewhere? Because there seems to be a very definitive split in opinions on this subject in the reefing community. For my own edification I'd like to know which is one is fact and which is reefing folklore passed down to the next generation.

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that's just dandy. The folks I bought mine from don't exactly have an Walmart return policy!

haha that's a great way to get unwanted attention!! Though, that P.O.S who failed at blowing himself up in NYC a few weeks back was apparently researching for a year and never got flagged.....:oops::rolleyes:

Is there objective scientific evidence on the reproductive habits of Valonia sp. somewhere? Because there seems to be a very definitive split in opinions on this subject in the reefing community. For my own edification I'd like to know which is one is fact and which is reefing folklore passed down to the next generation.

anyone have a decent microscope laying around? or have access to one? ;Pompus

after the holidays i might be able to get my hands on one at work..... but to solve the question of spores in the fluid within the bubbles, that would be a good way to go.

Back in the early 2000's when i worked at an exotic fish and reptile shop, the going theory then was that the bubbles sequestered nitrates/phosphates/silicates in higher concentrations for future use. Thereby making the argument that you don't want to pop them for the reasons of not wanting to release the nicely sequestered badness back into your system. Dono if that has been debunked yet...again another easy thing we could test.

I'm out of town for the next few days but i'd be willing to grab a bunch of bubbles and see if i can test them with my test kits. Shouldn't be too hard to determine if they are sequestering or not.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cooked my rock in a blacked out barrel for 10 months ! The bubble was the last to go lasted several months before finally dying off . I have since used this rock & I have seen maybe 3 or 4 tiny ones in 2 years. I also has some in another tank & went ULN. That really slowed it up. But the brown stuff started showing up!

ps I hate when a visitor who isn't in the marine tanks comes by & says"beautiful tank. What are all those green balls '' ARRGGHHH !

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

C.bldwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been several breakthroughs in this hobby to combat some of the worst types of algae... Why hasn't there been one for bubble algae??? All I ever hear/read is emerald crabs. But they are not 100% and some even eat corals. Caught mine picking at my Aussie torch. I did find that peroxide squirted right on it turns it white within a few days. But I'm also starting to think that the deterioration of it releases spores and becomes a major outbreak... This is where I'm at now! Doesn't kill corals, but it bugs the crap outta me because it's... well, algae! Someone PLEASE make a magic treatment that can just be dosed to the tank safely!!!

I inject the peroxide that way it kills the spores inside. If I’m able to get the rock out I will remove it manually and the squirt peroxide on the anchor point. I use 30% I purchased at a hydroponic shop so I make sure to watch my orp meter and limit how much I use. I do the same for large aptasia as well, majano’s seem resistant.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See this is what I was worried about....

I have a Foxface that nearly doubled in size after decimating a bubble algae outbreak. Occassionally one pops up and is gone next day.

I have question about Vibrant, what affect does it have on Cheato in sump?

Anyone know if only the foxface goes for bubble or if it is any other / all rabbit fish?
I'm interested in getting one of the other rabbits since usually multiples won't play nice....but if there's no one out there that can tell me other rabbits have been seen eating bubbles then I'll go for the Lo:

http://m.liveaquaria.com/category/1465/foxface-rabbitfish?c=15+1465

Thanks folks! Good thread

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back