Which “Reef Safe with Caution” fish are you happy you added?

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ...which “Reef Safe with Caution” fish are you glad you added to your tank? And what compromises (if any) did you make to add that fish to your reef tank?
I’ll start.
I added a Venustus Angel. LPS corals are my favorite. As expected she has occasionally nipped at some fleshier LPS (like trachy). Also as expected, she has left corals that are more noxious or stinging (like hammers, torches) alone. So I adjusted future coral additions around this angel. I don’t regret her addition at all! She had added a lot of personality & beauty to the tank. So I am glad I took the plunge.
What about you? Pics are appreciated!

20170830_122859.jpg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned a cherub pygmy angel for about a year and a half or longer(can't remember) without issues. Might be closer to 2 years. Anyway, I think it's a she and she seems docile now that other fish are fully grown.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ...which “Reef Safe with Caution” fish are you glad you added to your tank? And what compromises (if any) did you make to add that fish to your reef tank?
I’ll start.
I added a Venustus Angel. LPS corals are my favorite. As expected she has occasionally nipped at some fleshier LPS (like trachy). Also as expected, she has left corals that are more noxious or stinging (like hammers, torches) alone. So I adjusted future coral additions around this angel. I don’t regret her addition at all! She had added a lot of personality & beauty to the tank. So I am glad I took the plunge.
What about you? Pics are appreciated!

20170830_122859.jpg
Beautiful fish

Reeferguy365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper banded butterfly awesome fish. Its my wife's favorite so I'm very glad I got it. Only downside is no feather dusters had like 50 of them before I got him he decimated all 50 within a week but still totally worth it

OP
OP
Eva Rose

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of them. Flame, Regal, Emperor, Potters, Asfur, Emperor ......

IMG_1286.jpg
Gorgeous tank! Nothing like the juvi coloration of emperor angels. They are still beautiful as adults. I have thought about adding an emperor or a goldflake at some point. But most of my stocking list is very peaceful. How aggressive are emperors with other angels (or other fish)?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral beauty angel

Agreed. Love my Coral Beauty. Once in a great while it will take a nip at my Frogspawn or Hammer Corals but for the most part it leaves them alone and has been great at helping keeping algae under control in my tank and pretty much leaves his tank mates alone. He hates his reflection but that's about the most aggression I have seen out of it since it settled in. Here he is attacking his mirror reflection:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous tank! Nothing like the juvi coloration of emperor angels. They are still beautiful as adults. I have thought about adding an emperor or a goldflake at some point. But most of my stocking list is very peaceful. How aggressive are emperors with other angels (or other fish)?

Emperor not actually in the photo I posted (it's an adult). First time I've kept one because I never felt I had a big enough tank. It's cranky though and goes around making grunting sounds - quite funny actually. I'd not recommend it in anything smaller than a 300.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have blue throat trigger pair that I love. Those are calm though. By blue spotted toby is probably my favorite. Although I have to keep my clams in another tank, he is great and very funny. So are the triggers.

U

User1

View Badges
Coral Beauty here. Then again I don't have much of anything exciting but that is the fella with the caution tattoo :)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tangs. Just about every species of tang has been reported as a for-sure coral eater, so I am happy that none of mine are yet.

I would rate the riskiness in this order: large angels, tangs, small angels, Hal. wrasses and wayyyyy down the list are Genicanthus Angelfish and Xanthichthys triggerfish.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back