Which acros stand out under just T5’s?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The notion that only “old school” acros will
Look better is just plain stupid... any sps with nice colors are going to look good regardless of led or t5 lol

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oregon Tort
Pink lemonade
Upscales Microclados
Asd Rainbow milli
Ora Pearlberry
ORA Joe the coral
RR Pink Floyd

all of the above look great under full daylight T5
Great list! Oregon tort seems to be a favorite of a lot of people. So many choices!

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much what the title says. I recently switched from LED/T5 hybrid to an 6x24watt ATI Sunpower and I’m beginning to think about the corals I want to add moving forward. I would like to get some suggestions on acros that stand out on their own under solely T5 lighting without relying on blue LED “pop”. I’m currently running 3 blue plus and 3 coral plus so you know the spectrum I’ve got.

Remember, a picture is worth a thousand words so please feel free to share your T5-lit acro pics!:D

I run 8 x 24 ATI PM. I was running 5 Blue Plus and 3 Coral Plus for the past couple years. My LEDs were set to peak at 25%, but really were lower than that since it was mainly in the blue chanel, with minimal white, royal blue, and no red. So more like 10-15% max led intensity. So I think it is similar to what you are going to be running in terms of spectrum. My lights are about 11" from the water surface.

Hawkins Echinata
ASD Rainbow Milli
Oregon Tort
Cali Tort

IMG_9758.jpg

Cali Tort
IMG_9885.jpg

Hawkins Echinata
IMG_9883.jpg

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 8 x 24 ATI PM. I was running 5 Blue Plus and 3 Coral Plus for the past couple years. My LEDs were set to peak at 25%, but really were lower than that since it was mainly in the blue chanel, with minimal white, royal blue, and no red. So more like 10-15% max led intensity. So I think it is similar to what you are going to be running in terms of spectrum. My lights are about 11" from the water surface.

Hawkins Echinata
ASD Rainbow Milli
Oregon Tort
Cali Tort

IMG_9758.jpg

Cali Tort
IMG_9885.jpg

Hawkins Echinata
IMG_9883.jpg
Nice tank! And great suggestions! How does the Oregon tort grow for you?

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The oregon tort encrusted for a long time. When I first started the tank I had a few alk swings with dosing issues or changes in consumption I was slow to recognize. I lost some other colonies but the tort handled the changes in parameters well, I suspect due to its slower growth rate. My parameters are fairly consistent now, and I would say it has a steady moderate growth rate. I have three colonies now in different amounts of flow and different light. My colony near the top with higher flow has the deepest shade blue coloration. By comparison, the millepora went from 1" frag to the colony pictured which has been fragged a few times in just over a year.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The notion that only “old school” acros will
Look better is just plain stupid... any sps with nice colors are going to look good regardless of led or t5 lol

No one has suggested that only old school pieces look good under t5. But I do agree that most every acro should look good in daylight t5 spectrum if grown right. But the point is, some really don’t look as good as the pics because what your seeing under the blue light is just flourecent pigments and pigments that only filters show you. Anything popular from a ways back is going to be solid looking in daylight almost 100% of the time.

danoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copps Calacali is another one that looks really good in daylight T5s.

Before I added LEDs to my tank I was always looking for daylight acros and I think basically the general rules ares dense coloration and/or big color contrasts, and after that it is just personal taste. Though honestly I think almost any coral looks better with some blue LED supplementation.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The oregon tort encrusted for a long time. When I first started the tank I had a few alk swings with dosing issues or changes in consumption I was slow to recognize. I lost some other colonies but the tort handled the changes in parameters well, I suspect due to its slower growth rate. My parameters are fairly consistent now, and I would say it has a steady moderate growth rate. I have three colonies now in different amounts of flow and different light. My colony near the top with higher flow has the deepest shade blue coloration. By comparison, the millepora went from 1" frag to the colony pictured which has been fragged a few times in just over a year.
Yeah I’ve heard it is a slower grower but has some amazing coloration. And wow that is some awesome growth on that mille!

No one has suggested that only old school pieces look good under t5. But I do agree that most every acro should look good in daylight t5 spectrum if grown right. But the point is, some really don’t look as good as the pics because what your seeing under the blue light is just flourecent pigments and pigments that only filters show you. Anything popular from a ways back is going to be solid looking in daylight almost 100% of the time.
Very well said.

Copps Calacali is another one that looks really good in daylight T5s.

Before I added LEDs to my tank I was always looking for daylight acros and I think basically the general rules ares dense coloration and/or big color contrasts, and after that it is just personal taste. Though honestly I think almost any coral looks better with some blue LED supplementation.
Cool Acro! Thanks for the suggestion! And true a little “pop” never hurt an Acro lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back