Which algae is this?

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this something I should be worried about, or just part of the ugly stage? Tank is 5 months old nitrate is 10 and phosphate checker is in the mail. 872532D3-8E65-44E7-8DC9-D7A7F4F4E4C1.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4856.MOV
    5 MB

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct answer to your question...maybe a problem, maybe not. It's difficult to identify this type of algae from a picture alone. Microscope pics are much better and precise. At 5 months old, you could be having a big diatom bloom, but depending on parameters and how the tank started, you could be dealing with a dino outbreak. Many of these things look very similar. If you can get ahold of a microscope, take a few pics and post them...much better to tailor a treatment plan!

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, we'd need a whole lot more details but your better off getting scientific about it than working off assumptions. Microscopes have gotten affordable and if it is diatoms your in for a show because those things are sexy. The one other method I've seen they works is detailed here.

OP
OP
FortLivingRoom

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct answer to your question...maybe a problem, maybe not. It's difficult to identify this type of algae from a picture alone. Microscope pics are much better and precise. At 5 months old, you could be having a big diatom bloom, but depending on parameters and how the tank started, you could be dealing with a dino outbreak. Many of these things look very similar. If you can get ahold of a microscope, take a few pics and post them...much better to tailor a treatment plan!
I just so happened to have bought one for my 5yo for Christmas :cool: Hopefully I can get some decent pics to upload.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back