Which Apex or Hydros control 3? for temp controller and monitoring?

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanting to take advantage of the rare sale .

Specifically
1 would like to monitor temp on at least 2 temp probes. .
2 would like at least one PH probe with a live read out and ability to datalog it would be nice , orp probe (with data logging would be nice ) but not necessary to monitor O3.
3 water leak sensors ideally at least 2
4 water level sensors , I like Milone ETape sensors,] , I see apex sells them but they only have short sensors, will a 70 inch work with apex or hydros? ideally would have 3 total., one in my prefilter/skimmer sump, one in the main sump and a tall one in the ato vertical cylinder.

5. nothing else matters, i just want the cheapest unit that will fit these parameterrs basically 1 PH port and 6 "sensor ports "

what route would you take...

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no one Hydros that has 6 sense ports and your temp probes will take up one each. If you only want one pH and ORP does not matter the you could always get a X3 starter kit and a XS controller only and a 1 foot command buss cable and at least one terminator. Two terminators is the most you would ever need but using the power supply that comes in a stater kit you can only use one. Once the two controllers are members of the collective then they will act like a single controller with all the ports on both controllers available. I currently have 9 in a collective. I have 18 sense ports and all are in use. Those do seem to be used quicker than the others as you have found out. I also have 10 drive ports in use for dosing pumps and solenoid valve. The Hydros controls my RODI unit, my mixing station. It also does ATO, AWC and All For Reef dosing. It also controls all the normal things at the tank including lighting.

OP
OP
Y

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats exactly what I was looking for on the LLS/Hydros. thanks a million.
im going to get just he xs and run the 3 lls sensors and go a different route for ph and temp monitoring and gain EC for less than the contol 3 ( i realize the control 3 does more but i dont need more if this xs can run 3 lls's )

Im going to get a milwaukee mc811 max for temp as well as gain PH and EC. We use them at work and the temp units hold value well. plus i have thier matching ph controller and ph/orp controllers already for my calcium reactor and ozone .

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats exactly what I was looking for on the LLS/Hydros. thanks a million.
im going to get just he xs and run the 3 lls sensors and go a different route for ph and temp monitoring and gain EC for less than the contol 3 ( i realize the control 3 does more but i dont need more if this xs can run 3 lls's )

Im going to get a milwaukee mc811 max for temp as well as gain PH and EC. We use them at work and the temp units hold value well. plus i have thier matching ph controller and ph/orp controllers already for my calcium reactor and ozone .
I think those sensors require the 0-10v inputs which only the X4 and WE has at this time. Did you check out the thread?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, ordered the x4
Thanks for all the great advice,
I started out with the X4 starter kit. I have it in my garage now with a XS, 2 X2's and a XP8. Those control my mixing station, RODI, ATO, AWC and dosing for my 42 gallon hex tank. I have a WEv2, XP8, X3 and XS at the tank itself. They are all members of the same collective. Here is a screenshot of my garage inputs. The three level sensors are on 0-10v inputs 1,2 and 3. There are 4 pushbuttons and one switch on 0-10v input 4. One push button switch turns on a pump in my DI reservoir to dispense into containers such as 5 gallon buckets as needed. The pump will run as long as the switch is pushed and the single switch is not on. There is also another push button switch that does the same with a pump in my fresh saltwater reservoir. There is another pushbutton switch that when pressed locks a couple of outputs creating a mix ok to use signal. It is cleared with a mix tank low level sensor which also will trigger a Mix tank refill sequence for the RODI. There is also a pushbutton switch that when pressed turns on the workbench light. Pressing it a second time turns off the light. If I forget it turns off after 1 hour. The regular switch has two functions when turned on it locks out all the other switches and also pauses my AWC keeping it from running. There is a sixth switch mounted but not connected at this time. To use it I would have to use a 10v power signal instead of the 5v I am currently using. That is it for the 0-10v inputs. I do have all the sense ports in use also. I use the two drive ports on the X4 for ATO and AWC drain pump. The AWC fill pump is on a drive port on another controller along with the All For Reef dosing pump.

3D311B73-D16A-4401-ACDE-D662EAB5BDE8.png

Redemptioner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the Apex.

Hydros is still a long way away from it in terms of functionality and capability, and there is certainly no place for scripting basic logic or even handlers. Even something as simple as having a display continuously showing the parameters the Hydros system can't achieve as its display times out after about 30secs on both the apps and web interface, so no tablet there showing you the details at a glance. It is made worse by the fact it will display old, stale data instead after this time.....

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the Apex.

Hydros is still a long way away from it in terms of functionality and capability, and there is certainly no place for scripting basic logic or even handlers. Even something as simple as having a display continuously showing the parameters the Hydros system can't achieve as its display times out after about 30secs on both the apps and web interface, so no tablet there showing you the details at a glance. It is made worse by the fact it will display old, stale data instead after this time.....
I have had mine over two years without an issue. I have added 9 controllers in that time to my collective. I have had no problem getting it do do what I want. It controls my return pump, skimmer, ATO, AWC, All for Reef dosing, KH buffer dosing, auto refill of my DI storage with the RODI. Automatic transfer from mix tank to fresh saltwater tank and auto refill of mix tank from RODI when transfer is complete. All I need to do is add the salt mix. It controls the RODI unit and the stirring pump in the mix tank. It also control the two dispense pumps in the fresh salt water tank and DI tank. All I have to do is press a button and hold it to dispense into a container. Once I have what I want I just release the button and close the manual safty valve. It also turns on the RODI every 4 hours for 15 minutes to refill the RO bladder for the ice maker in the fridge if it need refilled. It also controls the flush valve on the RODI and runs for a minute at the start of use and for a minute every hour of use. It will also control a boost pump on the RODI if you have it. It also controls my LED lights for both the tank and refugium. I also do dynamic dosing with the Hydros for All For Reef and KH buffer using the alkalinity readings from my KH Carer which the Hydros gets from the KH Carer. I also use it to remotely recharge the batteries in one of my cameras and some ornamental lighting in my wife's light houses and globes. Those are also used to display alerts from the Hydros with a distinctive difference between normal off, yellow alert, orange alert and red alert or normally on. I also have it checking for leaks at the tank, RODI and storage tanks and under my central air conditioner. I am not sure how much more automation you would need, but I am sure it can do more than what I am using it for.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the Apex.

You’re on a mission tonight aren’t you! Is your plan to voice your displeasure on every Hydros thread tonight.

We get it. You’re not happy because you need to continuously watch the app like it’s the latest hit Netflix show.

I have a tablet on my tank. The app is always open and refreshes every 5 minutes and stays active for some time and the process repeats.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Friendly reminder to everyone - R2R was founded on the simple premise to develop a warm, friendly, suitable place to gather and discuss this hobby for people of all ages, backgrounds, and experience levels. The “Be Nice” policy is something we take very seriously. This can be especially challenging when we perceive personal judgments - please work to separate the problem from the people and focus on addressing the problem.

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah... Hydros - Apex Wars... It's just gear guys. Everyone has their preferences. In the end run, if it does what you need it to do that's all that matters.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back