Which are your favorite brands of PROTEIN SKIMMER :D

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not very common from what I understand but I’m really liking this new to me reeflo!

Attachments

• 1BD0732E-F078-496B-AA86-A8DB9565876E.jpeg
    1BD0732E-F078-496B-AA86-A8DB9565876E.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 73

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run many over some 20 years of reefing. Hanner (air stone driven), SeaClone, Euroreef, Deltec, Volcano by Spazz, Bubble King, ReefOctopus, CPR hang on and Currently ATB which is my favorite and current skimmer which I have been running for a number of years now. Extremely quiet, very efficient and have never had and issue with any part. They were more popular years back but rarely heard of anymore.
Love my ATB too. i change back and forth between my Ultrareef and the ATB when cleaning time comes around. They both perform similarly but the Akula has a much BIGGER cup. I think when ATB switched over to the DC pumps it turned people off of ATB. Mine is DC, is pretty much silent and skims very well.
20180117_171620.jpg
130 xdc.jpg
i also have a BK 130 that skims very well but needs a lot of TLC when things gunk up. It's not in rotation right now. I don't care for the DC pump it came with. Loses air draw with very little build up in a short time.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
+1 for the akula 160 from ultrareef. OH YA! Getting one is the trick though!

mine was direct from italy.

Hope all is well David!!:)

They are carried in the states again:
Unfortunately it is Aquarium Specialty. I knocked mine over while cleaning and broke a part and Ultra Reef sent me to them. I can not even get them to even reply to a email. They are not the worst place but I have had issues with Aquarium Specialty before. Ultra Reef can send me the item but with Covid it might be expensive shipping. I wish someone who could do the line justice would pick it up because it is the best for the money out there.

Last edited:

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are carried in the states again:
Unfortunately it is Aquarium Specialty. I knocked mine over while cleaning and broke a part and Ultra Reef sent me to them. I can not even get them to even reply to a email. They are not the worst place but I have had issues with Aquarium Specialty before. Ultra Reef can send me the item but with Covid it might be expensive shipping. I wish someone who could do the line justice would pick it up because it is the best for the money out there.

If you need help then we will take care of you. Please give us a chance to work things out for you. I'm not sure who you are and it's possible your email is going to spam or junk if we didn't get back to you. Please give us a call if you don't mind. We literally get hundreds of emails every day and once in a while something gets missed so that is a possibility also. We have about 15 email addresses.

On a side note, I tried to find the emails you are referring to in the 3 Aquarium Specialty email inboxes I keep up with and I don't have anything from you. Perhaps you have been emailing one of our other employees? Also, I noticed that you placed your last order in August when we were going to troubles with our website upgrade. That was no fun for anyone, especially us, but the site has been working great since our web developers eventually fixed all the bugs. I don't want to be of bother to you but I want you and everyone else to see that I want to help.

As far as Ultra Reef goes we are the US and Canadian distributor and we are looking for aquarium stores to pick up the brand through our wholesale company, Aqua Specialty.

The Ultra Reef skimmers are amazing and they are gaining popularity here in the states since we picked up the line. Aquarium Specialty is also stocking parts for the brand here in the US. In the last 2 days we have sold 11 Ultra Reef skimmers and reactors and we just placed our 3rd ocean freight order yesterday evening.

Last edited:

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a photo from one of our customers.
IMG_4491.jpg

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you need help then we will take care of you. Please give us a chance to work things out for you. I'm not sure who you are and it's possible your email is going to spam or junk if we didn't get back to you. Please give us a call if you don't mind. We literally get hundreds of emails every day and once in a while something gets missed so that is a possibility also. We have about 15 email addresses.

On a side note, I tried to find the emails you are referring to in the 3 Aquarium Specialty email inboxes I keep up with and I don't have anything from you. Perhaps you have been emailing one of our other employees? Also, I noticed that you placed your last order in August when we were going to troubles with our website upgrade. That was no fun for anyone, especially us, but the site has been working great since our web developers eventually fixed all the bugs. I don't want to be of bother to you but I want you and everyone else to see that I want to help.

As far as Ultra Reef goes we are the US and Canadian distributor and we are looking for aquarium stores to pick up the brand through our wholesale company, Aqua Specialty.

The Ultra Reef skimmers are amazing and they are gaining popularity here in the states since we picked up the line. Aquarium Specialty is also stocking parts for the brand here in the US. In the last 2 days we have sold 11 Ultra Reef skimmers and reactors and we just placed our 3rd ocean freight order yesterday evening.

I do not want to derail this thread but I got a reply right away the part I broke was not in stock and would I like to order one and then silence. The email was with customer service. I will try and contact you another way. The skimmer was not bought through you guys, I have owned it way longer than you carried the line. I contact Ultra Reef and they told me to contact you guys about getting me the part.

I will say this to keep it on track. I have been in the hobby close to 35 years and I have used or tested most brands of skimmers. I even owned a 4 foot tall air driven skimmer back in the day.

For the money Ultra Reef is the best skimmer. They are built as well as Bubble Kings if not better. The only advantage BK has over these is the pump but it comes at a way higher price. The Sicce pump in these is no slouch though and are very reliable.

They skimmer comes completely apart even the riser tube in the middle of the skimmer cup comes out on mine.
Its a higher end skimmer at the price of a middle of the road skimmer.

1610719726064.png

Perfect Foam and consistency.

1610719745440.png

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am currently running three different Reef Octopus skimmers on various systems and have been using them for about a decade with great results!

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not want to derail this thread but I got a reply right away the part I broke was not in stock and would I like to order one and then silence. I will try and contact you another way.

I will say this to keep it on track. I have been in the hobby close to 35 years and I have used or tested most brands of skimmers. I even owned a 4 foot tall air driven skimmer back in the day.

For the money Ultra reef is the best skimmer. They are built as well as Bubble Kings if not better. The only advantage BK has over these is the pump but it comes at a way higher price. The Sicce pump in these is no slouch though and are very reliable.

They skimmer come completely apart even the riser tube in the middle of the skimmer cup come out on mine.
Its a higher end skimmer at the price of a middle of the road skimmer.
Sounds good and sorry we let this one slip though the cracks. I totally agree with you on the Ultra Reef product line but that is rapidly changing as well. We are also Royal Exclusiv distributor (15+ years). Many of the newer Bubble King skimmers are going to much less expensive rebranded pumps that are no longer manufactured in Europe.

Updated post - shred5 - your email address is bouncing back so you are not getting our replies. I'd call but there is no phone # on your account. Now I know that we have been trying to reach you.

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at cloudhost-left blank intentionally.us-midwest-1.nxcli.net.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<david.left blank intentionally @att.ne>:
Sorry, I couldn't find a mail exchanger or IP address. (#5.4.4)

Last edited:

Go Hobby!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had several Reef Octopus skimmers and all were great. No issues. Here's a review of the 110SSS I'm currently running on my 50 gal.

Back