Which ATI Bulb Combination Should I Choose?

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Any 4 bulb recommendations for a 40 breeder with mainly zoa's. Currently 3 blue + and one true atinic

Well according to BigE your one actinic does not spread enough to reach everywhere the fixture does so you are only giving actinic light in a narrow range. People tend to recommend what they like so of course I suggest a 50/50 split of B+ and actinic. If you look at Jason fox's video he has 4 actinic bulbs and Reef Brite XHOs over his zoas. To me 50/50 B+/actinic is as close to that as you can get with just T5.

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
I would add a coral plus in there. Otherwise okay.
Again one bulb only reaches a tiny piece of the pie so if you want a different "look" then great but if you want to optimize color or growth evenly then its neither necessary nor effective. Plus the Coral+ bulb may not do much extra. Watch the BRS video:

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Vote for me for senator
View Badges
Reaction score
Not sure if this question ever comes up since most young folks today probably don't even know what an aquarium that had a Radium bulb looked like, but after several years of using and loving ATI Powermodules I finally realized how to get a look that is virtually identical to a Radium MH look. My fixture is an 8 bulb model and I run 1:1 Blue+ and Actinic with both blue LED channels at 100% and the white channel at 50%. This gives my a perfect replication of the Radium with shimmer and all. I have my old Geissmann and hung it next to the ATI and aside from a little more shimmer you really can't see a difference. Not to mention the corals LOVE the combo of Blue+ and Actinic :)

Can't really say if the combo above is the "highest", but I can say my corals are growing like crazy and have tremendous color using the combo of Blue+ and Actinic. I'm certain they are not the highest in PAR, but certainly they are up there in PUR.

BigE.JPG
What's a Radium? JK!
Next question is if it was on a magnetic or HQI ballast since that made a huge difference in the color. I still have some "Select-A-Watt" ballasts in my garage :)

When I had a retail store I used to run dual 1000w Radiums with 2x VHO actinic over a 60x30x12" frag tank. Corals loved all that light.

Evening all,

I had to post how funny this was. They young comment made me chuckle, select a watt and I lost it. Awesome.

I recently purchased a hybrid so I could use my 3 AI 52 and a t5 together. I liked the ATI T5 bulbs so much I pulled the LEds from the middles and mounted a 3rd fixture with more ATI bulbs into. I’ve given up on LED personally. I wish I kept my old VHO ballasts and end caps.

I am going to change my bulbs soon. I seem to be leaning to 2 actinic, 2 B+, 2 C+ on my 180. I am happy with color now, 2 C+, 2 B+, 1 actinic and 1 purple. Not sure.

Now I am second guess. I have watched all the vids and comparisons. Maybe 1 C+, 2 B+, 2 Actinic, 1 purple?

maybe go back fish only?

SixtyFeetUnder

View Badges
Reaction score
Honestly I don't think either of these options are going to give you "coral pop". LEDs are better at creating the "black light" look most people are going for when they say coral pop, you simply will not achieve that look with just T5's.

Look at the images attached. If you are going for the pic I titled "coral pop", you won't with T5.

Personally I think the "coral pop" look is ridiculous, its fake and unnatural, but more and more I feel I am becoming unusual in my opinion. More and more online retailers are making corals appear this way to sell them, not because they have natural beauty, but because they have high amounts of florescence which you would never see in nature.

I'll stick to natural "what you see scuba diving in 20-30' " look myself but that's just me.

If I had Radions, I would likely choose Blue+ and ABS since that is more my taste.

Just for good measure, I included a photo of my personal reef. These are unedited, no special app, no filters, no adjusting colors, this is shot straight from iPhone camera and posted.

T5 Reef.jpg coral pop.jpg Keith Reef 3.JPG Keith Reef 2.JPG Keith Reef.JPG
@ATI North America - do you know what bulbs are used in the first picture here labeled T5 reef? Love the Spectrum Blend on that one! Thanks!

OP
ATI North America

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have my tank is next to my TV in my living room. They make very little noise. You will get use to it. If you decide to get one, never turn the fans off. Over time, they won't start back up. I find this makes them last longer.
@ATI North America - do you know what bulbs are used in the first picture here labeled T5 reef? Love the Spectrum Blend on that one! Thanks!
I don't, the bottom 3 pictures are mine, the other 2 are not.

OP
ATI North America

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@ATI North America - and sorry to make you duplicate but whicy bulbs are you using? I can align with your diving light analogy and like your colors.
2x AquaBlue Special
3x Blue Plus
1x True Actinic
1x Coral Plus
1x Purple Plus

Keep in mind I have an LED Powermodule so I have LEDs too.

SixtyFeetUnder

View Badges
Reaction score
2x AquaBlue Special
3x Blue Plus
1x True Actinic
1x Coral Plus
1x Purple Plus

Keep in mind I have an LED Powermodule so I have LEDs too.
@ATI North America
I’ll have three kessil a360x in an 61” aqualife hybrid fixture w 4 61” T5. I started w 4 blue plus bulbs per a friends recommendation but think I’m going to mix it up with 2 b+ and coral plus/purple plus and actinic. I figure I can make some of whatever spectrum with my LEDs.

Hav plenty of light amongst the T5 and LED combo I keep gettin pulled to try an actinic to feed the coral in that spectrum and get some different color. What are your thoughts on one actinic in a 4 bulb hybrid with LEDs?

OP
ATI North America

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@ATI North America
I’ll have three kessil a360x in an 61” aqualife hybrid fixture w 4 61” T5. I started w 4 blue plus bulbs per a friends recommendation but think I’m going to mix it up with 2 b+ and coral plus/purple plus and actinic. I figure I can make some of whatever spectrum with my LEDs.

Hav plenty of light amongst the T5 and LED combo I keep gettin pulled to try an actinic to feed the coral in that spectrum and get some different color. What are your thoughts on one actinic in a 4 bulb hybrid with LEDs?
Its really not possible for me to tell, I suspect your Kessils have a huge spike at the 380-420nm range. Hence it is unlikely they will need it but I am not a Kessil expert so I really cannot lend much help on the matter.

Are most hobbyists using enough live rock these days?

• Yes

Votes: 104 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 155 34.7%
  • Not sure

Votes: 178 39.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 2.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors