Which ATI Bulb Combination Should I Choose?

Discussion in 'ATI Aquaristik' started by ATI North America, Jun 26, 2015.

1. ATI North America

ATI North America Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Hello dwwataz! Sorry I am not sure if this is directed at me or not but this is a tough question. The problem with "absurdly blue" is it is really in the eye of the beholder. I see tanks day after day that are absurdly blue to me, but loads of people love windex colored tanks. I prefer what I describe as the top 10-15' of ocean when diving or snorkeling, not so much the 60' depths (granted corals don't fluoresce while diving like reef tanks) often mimicked on reef tanks. The point is its very much what you personally prefer and not at all what others may agree with.

I run not 1 but 2 Aqua Blue Special bulbs on my tank at the moment and love the color while many people wouldn't dream of touching the bulb. Many may call it yellow. (scroll up for photo)

HolisticBear likes this.

2. Trevor40

Trevor40 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Is there a recommended photoperiod for these bulbs?

3. ATI North America

From what I have read or understood anything over 5-6 hours is basically for your enjoyment only. Corals get most of the photosynthesis they need during that period.

Trevor40 likes this.
  4. Trevor40

Trevor40 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Thank you for the reply.

5. BigJohnny

BigJohnny Valuable Member

Depends on par. The concept is DLI or daily light integral. Essentially 5 hours at 300 par has a similar DLI to 10 hrs at 150 par. This concept has been used to light terrestrial plants for some time. Corals will not necessarily respond the same under both situations however and have unique photo saturation and photoinhibition levels which would influence the results.

Some people argue short periods of higher intensity produce better coloration and growth in certain corals, but it's really all anecdotal as there are so many factors and not enough scientific research.

Ecotech marine is currently doing a study on this however and will be releasing the results shortly. I saw an interview where a guy from Ecotech doing this study mentioned differences in growth patterns of a certain montipora. It actually grew towards the shorter higher intensity light and plated out under the longer lower intensity, which is actually the opposite of what I would've expected. In my experience flow has more of an impact on growth pattern but I believe the idea is that all other controllable aspects were identical.

Exciting stuff!

6. HolisticBear

HolisticBear Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

Interesting. One reason I was considering the Giesemann Aurora over the Powermodule is that T5's are angled inward on the Giesemann and I assumed there would be less spill with the Giesemann than the Powermodule. Do you know of any comparisons between the two regarding light spill?

7. rockskimmerflow

rockskimmerflow Active Member

It's a great combo. My personal favorite for a 4 bulb fixture.

8. David osborne

David osborne Active Member

I thought I would try
    6 blue plus
    2 Antinics

Using this bulb selection really makes the corals pop like using high end LEDs ! But will this bulb selection be ok for coral health? And would putting a purple plus help Or would be beneficial to the corals ??

9. rockskimmerflow

rockskimmerflow Active Member

For my taste that would be way too blue, but in terms of coral pop I agree - that is one heck of a combo! Healthwise you should have no issues. The spectrum emitted by that set of T5 lamps will still cover plenty for pretty much any coral out there.

David osborne likes this.
  10. ATI North America

I agree!

11. David osborne

It is very blue when I have the lights dimming for sun rise and sun set mode but when there at 100% it's a really nice light blue and my corals are glowing as if I'm using LEDs all the time

I found even having just 1 coral plus white bulb made the tank look to bright and not pleasing to the eye , I feel that having a mixed reef as well it will please the Lps and sps corals !

Thanks for your reply too

12. David osborne

I will try and get some good pics to show what the combo looks like

13. Leadfooted

Leadfooted Active Member

I've been very pleased with the growth and colors I've seen by switching from cheap ATI bulbs. I recently added a Reef Brite that's placed in the middle of 4 ATI T5-s. What are the color ATI bulbs some of you are running with the Reef Brite XHO BLUE? As you know it's got a load of blue but the coral colors are insane now! I'm currently running B+, ABS, P+, P+ .

14. David osborne

Can i ask why do we need to burn t5 bulbs in for 100 hours before we can run them on a dimable unit ?
    What would happen to the bulbs if the bulbs are not burnt in before use ?

15. ATI North America

Finatik and David osborne like this.
  16. djorijun

djorijun Member

I wonder if I can get a combo help. I currently have an Aquatic Life T5/LED Hybrid unit 24" x 4. I have 3 Blue Plus 1 Purple Plus. Do you recommend a better combo? The tank is 25g lagoon

17. Medic56

Medic56 Member R2R Supporter

Is this still the standard today? This was posted in 2015. With the new Actinic and Aqua blue. Trying to figure out the best combination for my 210. I have the 60" 8 bulb.
    Thanks

18. paphater

paphater Well-Known Member

Any recommendations on a 2 bulb combo? I'm planning on supplementing my leds with two ATIs, one in front of the leds and one in back. I was planning on running a blue+ and coral +. Would it be better to run the same color in the front and back?

19. ATI North America

Yes! This is still valid and recommended today.

This isn't really something we can answer. What is the purpose of doing T5 supplementing? For growth? For color? To fill in the shadows of your LEDs?

For growth and filling in shadows I would use 2x Blue Plus. Not because it gives you the most growth, but because the color is by far the most popular.

If you are doing it to make the color more pleasing to you, I really can't tell you how to do this since I cant tell you what color you like nor what color the tank is. This is just about what is pleasing to you.

Your choice of Blue Plus and Coral Plus together is a good option to diversify the spectrum and keep the tank in a 14k kind of range.

20. billy1205

billy1205 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I'm currently running a 2 x 8 tube with 4 blue+ and 4 coral+. It's almost the time to do some maintenance and change the bulbs. Could you recommend any combination from front to back? I'm having a 325 gallon sps dominated tank.

BigJohnny likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted