Which ATI Bulb Combination Should I Choose?

BigJohnny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I know your not asking me, but if I had an 8 bulb and was not comfortable keeping my combo as is (always a good idea) I would be tempted to throw in some Actinic and/or 6500k as well. These are the two options I'd consider, personally:

3 B+, 3 C+, 2 Actinic
BACK
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Coral Plus
ATI True Actinic/Giesemann Super Actinic
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Coral Plus
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Coral Plus
FRONT

OR

4 B+, 2 6500k, 2 Actinic
BACK
ATI Blue Plus
Giesemann Tropic 6500k
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
Giesemann Tropic 6500k
ATI Blue Plus
FRONT

I know those aren't all ATI bulbs but they don't make a 6500k and I actually like the Giesemann Super Actinic a little more than the ATI True Actinic, but they are certainly very similar. Regardless, my two favorite bulbs are ATI Blue Plus and ATI Coral Plus so one or both of those should always be in the majority, imo.

As I'm sure you are aware, just those two bulbs are a great combo and cover everything you need, but with an 8 bulb you have the luxury of being able to throw some unique bulbs in there without changing much overall. The first option certainly changes less but I know people that get killer growth/color with only 6500k and actinic. Having said that, those two bulbs alone would be way whiter/yellow to the eye then most people like so having 4 blue plus in there keeps it much closer visually and spectrally to what you've got currently.

OP
ATI North America

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm currently running a 2 x 8 tube with 4 blue+ and 4 coral+. It's almost the time to do some maintenance and change the bulbs. Could you recommend any combination from front to back? I'm having a 325 gallon sps dominated tank.
It is really up to your personal taste of what you like. I would suggests adding some other colors since you have 8 bulbs just to broaden the spectrum a bit.

I personally have the following, however it is in an LED Powermodule so there are LEDs in the mix:
Blue Plus x3
Coral Plus x1
AquaBlue Special x2
True Actinic x1
Purple Plus x1

I prefer a crisp white tank, not yellow, not "windex". Something like the first 10 feet of scuba diving.

Cheers

billy1205

View Badges
Reaction score
It is really up to your personal taste of what you like. I would suggests adding some other colors since you have 8 bulbs just to broaden the spectrum a bit.

I personally have the following, however it is in an LED Powermodule so there are LEDs in the mix:
Blue Plus x3
Coral Plus x1
AquaBlue Special x2
True Actinic x1
Purple Plus x1

I prefer a crisp white tank, not yellow, not "windex". Something like the first 10 feet of scuba diving.

Cheers
Thanks for the input, appreciate it.

billy1205

View Badges
Reaction score
I know your not asking me, but if I had an 8 bulb and was not comfortable keeping my combo as is (always a good idea) I would be tempted to throw in some Actinic and/or 6500k as well. These are the two options I'd consider, personally:

3 B+, 3 C+, 2 Actinic
BACK
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Coral Plus
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Coral Plus
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Coral Plus
FRONT

OR

4 B+, 2 6500k, 2 Actinic
BACK
ATI Blue Plus
Giesemann Tropic 6500k
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
Giesemann Tropic 6500k
ATI Blue Plus
FRONT

I know those aren't all ATI bulbs but they don't make a 6500k and I actually like the Giesemann Super Actinic a little more than the ATI True Actinic, but they are certainly very similar. Regardless, my two favorite bulbs are ATI Blue Plus and ATI Coral Plus so one or both of those should always be in the majority, imo.

As I'm sure you are aware, just those two bulbs are a great combo and cover everything you need, but with an 8 bulb you have the luxury of being able to throw some unique bulbs in there without changing much overall. The first option certainly changes less but I know people that get killer growth/color with only 6500k and actinic. Having said that, those two bulbs alone would be way whiter/yellow to the eye then most people like so having 4 blue plus in there keeps it much closer visually and spectrally to what you've got currently.
Second option sound good to me but I remember from one of the forum mentioned that the use of Giesemann bulbs on ATI fixture will reduce the fixture life time. I doesn't know how true is this. That's why I never dare to use any Giesemann bulbs.

Emmanuel Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score
I have the Aquatic Life 6 bulb fixture. They all have Aquatic Life original bulbs in and I want to replace them with all ATIs. Please help me for the best set-up to enjoy. 60 Gallon Reef few SPS and LPS three fish only, 8 months old tank, 40lbs of Live Fiji rocks...

Emmanuel Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a new member and I am excited to be a part of the forum to get some expert advice from you all. My wife and I have a 60 gal reef tank, we have 40lbs of live Fiji rocks, and few sps and lps corals, two shrimps, two clowns, and a fire fish (8 months old tank). We are using the Aquatic Life 6 bulb fixture and will like to switch them all to ATIs, please help us make the best selection of lighting for this set-up. Sorry for long message.

BigJohnny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Second option sound good to me but I remember from one of the forum mentioned that the use of Giesemann bulbs on ATI fixture will reduce the fixture life time. I doesn't know how true is this. That's why I never dare to use any Giesemann bulbs.
Haha there is absolutely no way that is true.

Emmanuel Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score

Blue Plus x3
Coral Plus x1
AquaBlue Special x2
True Actinic x1
Purple Plus x1

Cheers
Hi ATI N. America, I have the Aquatic Life Six bulb fixture. Will ATI bulbs work in this system and if so, which lights will you recommend?
Thanks...

OP
ATI North America

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
As much as I would love to say this is true, its absolutly false.

I have the Aquatic Life 6 bulb fixture. They all have Aquatic Life original bulbs in and I want to replace them with all ATIs. Please help me for the best set-up to enjoy. 60 Gallon Reef few SPS and LPS three fish only, 8 months old tank, 40lbs of Live Fiji rocks...
Hello Emmanuel, any of our bulbs will work fine in your fixture. The color choice is a matter of personal opinion. I suggest you go back to the first post and read it again.

Cheers

Emmanuel Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score
As much as I would love to say this is true, its absolutly false.

Hello Emmanuel, any of our bulbs will work fine in your fixture. The color choice is a matter of personal opinion. I suggest you go back to the first post and read it again.

Cheers
Thanks so much for your response. I'm thinking 2 coral plus, 2 Purple plus, and 2 blue plus...

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Anyone use KZ bulbs?

I tried out 2 bulbs from kz and noticed they put out more par than ATI.

madweazl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Anyone use KZ bulbs?

I tried out 2 bulbs from kz and noticed they put out more par than ATI.
Any difference was likely due to measuring different spectrums (e.g. ATI actinic vs something like an AB+ from another brand).

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Any difference was likely due to measuring different spectrums (e.g. ATI actinic vs something like an AB+ from another brand).
I was measuring 1 inch right under the bulbs installed at the same time about 2 weeks ago. Don’t remember exact numbers but ATI blue+ was pushing pass 500-540 and kz super blue was pushing nearly 600!

Also, was surprising to see kz pink pushing pass the blue+ as well.

madweazl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I was measuring 1 inch right under the bulbs installed at the same time about 2 weeks ago. Don’t remember exact numbers but ATI blue+ was pushing pass 500-540 and kz super blue was pushing nearly 600!

Also, was surprising to see kz pink pushing pass the blue+ as well.
Like I said, they're likely producing different spectrums with more light outside of the "blue" range. Light outside of the blue spectrum (below approx 450nm) isnt picked up by the PAR meters sensor as efficiently as light above this range. Your KZ pink vs ATI Blue+ is a perfect example of this; it doesnt mean there is less PAR, the meter just doesnt measure it as well.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Like I said, they're likely producing different spectrums with more light outside of the "blue" range. Light outside of the blue spectrum (below approx 450nm) isnt picked up by the PAR meters sensor as efficiently as light above this range. Your KZ pink vs ATI Blue+ is a perfect example of this; it doesnt mean there is less PAR, the meter just doesnt measure it as well.

Not to hijack this thread but can someone point me to more information on this PAR meter issue? I just took a bunch of measurements using my reef clubs PAR meter the Apogee QMSS-E which I believe is the older model which does not pick up all the light. Before I go beefing up my light (readings maxed out 12 inches deep in my tank around 200 PAR for 2 Kessil A360's at 100% on a 30 inch cube) I want to understand more of what the meter is telling me.

madweazl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread but can someone point me to more information on this PAR meter issue? I just took a bunch of measurements using my reef clubs PAR meter the Apogee QMSS-E which I believe is the older model which does not pick up all the light. Before I go beefing up my light (readings maxed out 12 inches deep in my tank around 200 PAR for 2 Kessil A360's at 100% on a 30 inch cube) I want to understand more of what the meter is telling me.
You can find more info on Apogee's website.

remi010

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have running a ati 6 bulb hybrid. 3 coral plus and 3 blue plus. The leds running on most fluorisent (all blue 100%).
Dominant sps tank is it

I'm thinking about replacing a coral plus for a true actinic. What would it give to the view?

BigJohnny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have running a ati 6 bulb hybrid. 3 coral plus and 3 blue plus. The leds running on most fluorisent (all blue 100%).
Dominant sps tank is it

I'm thinking about replacing a coral plus for a true actinic. What would it give to the view?
I run 3 b+ , 2 coral +, 1 actinic and have tried many combinations. The actinic gives off a pretty white light but much dimmer and slightly skewed towards purple (as far as we can see). The tank lighting overall will look slightly dimmer and less blue than it does currently, however it's only 1 bulb so the only thing I'd worry about when deciding is whether or not you believe the additional actinic will improve health, growth, and/or coloration.

You have 6 bulbs and LEDs so it wont have a massive visual impact, but you will notice it. If you run it as one of only two bulbs in dusk dawn the difference will be pretty drastic, mainly much dimmer looking.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
i run the 4 blue+, 1 coral+ and 1 purple+. I like the look of the tank.

Jayellul

View Badges
Reaction score
It just goes to show how important individual preferences are. People frequently ask "what is the best combination"? That's like me asking what the best color in the rainbow is :)

I prefer a natural white look like the first 20 feet of diving, not the 80 foot level blue, so I use:
3 Blue Plus
2 Aquablue Special
1 Purple Plus
1 Coral Plus
1 True Actinic
Hi there, I also l ike this crisp white with hint of blue but NO yellow. What order do you have these in?
I run a 8 bulb hybrid, currently 3b+ 2ABS 3C+
The issue i sometimes face is colour blending between the 2 banks of 4 t5s? So my thoughtas were to try and have the same bulb configuration on each side of the LED puck?

Maybe
B+
C+
ABS
B+
LED
B+
ABS
C+
B+

thoughts? I dont see much discussed about hybrid bulb combos

Are most hobbyists using enough live rock these days?

• Yes

Votes: 104 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 155 34.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 177 39.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 2.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors