Which ATI Bulb Combination Should I Choose?

bvdzeeuw

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

So i got my 130gallon tank set up last weekend and I'm still not sure what light combo i'm gonna use. Currently I run the following:

- 2 Blue plus
- 2 Coral plus
- 1 purple plus
- 1 Aqua blue special.

Thats how i bought my T5 fixture second hand. I'm thinking about swapping the purple and aqua blue for actinic.
The look i try to get is poppy colours but not completely washed out blue's, you guys reckon this combo will get me that;

- 2 blue plus
- 2 coral plus
- 2 actinic

Thanks for the advise!

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Ok. I have been running 4 blue plus, 1 coral plus and 1 purple plus for a while. At 12" over the water surface my 6x80W (my god this thing is a par beast) is pushing 300-320 par across 95% of my rocks, and about 160-190 on the bottom. I am toying with adding an actinic, not only to lower the PAR, but also bring out some pop. Would I replace a blue plus or take out the purple plus?

Also, if I add an Actinic am I going to reduce the growth power?

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Ok. I have been running 4 blue plus, 1 coral plus and 1 purple plus for a while. At 12" over the water surface my 6x80W (my god this thing is a par beast) is pushing 300-320 par across 95% of my rocks, and about 160-190 on the bottom. I am toying with adding an actinic, not only to lower the PAR, but also bring out some pop. Would I replace a blue plus or take out the purple plus?
Try swapping it for the coral plus, puple plus, and blue plus in turn. If you do it one at a time and let the actinic bulb warm up you can see which one you like better visually. You aren't going to hurt your tank at all regardless of which bulb you sub in the actinic for. Just pick the bulb combo thats most pleasing to you. Good luck and I think you'll like the effect of the actinic. I run an 8 bulb with 4x actinic, and 4x blue plus for the ultra color up effect on LPS I bring in.

wallace

View Badges
Reaction score
I use a 2 bulb t5 fixture. Blue plus and coral plus combo
Looks awsome. Combine it with my led strip and I have even blue and white lighting.

taz1

View Badges
Reaction score
My favorite combos I've put over lots of different tanks are the 3-2-1 for 6 bulb fixtures and the 4-3-1 for 8 bulb units.

6 bulb: 3 Blue plus - 2 True Actinic - 1 Purple plus
8 bulb: 4 Blue plus - 3 True Actinic - 1 Purple plus

Massive color pop, not too white or blue to the eyes with all bulbs on, and of course 2 actinics only for sunrise/sunset. Very classic look and great growth in my experience.

Was interested to see the True Actinic omitted from all the recommended combos. I prefer to build combos with actinics when I have 6 or more bulbs to work with. In 2 or 4 bulb fixtures I usually avoid them to maximize PAR with the limited bulb count.

I love ATI bulbs and use them in almost every build as primary or supplemental lighting.
How u set up from to back

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
6 bulb:
blue plus
true actinic
blue plus
purple plus
true actinic
blue plus

8 bulb:
blue plus
true actinic
blue plus
purple plus
true actinic
blue plus
true actinic
blue plus
Can you share a pic of that 6 bulb combination? It's not too blue or is more for fluoresce on the corals?

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Can you share a pic of that 6 bulb combination? It's not too blue or is more for fluoresce on the corals?
I've never found pics accurate in terms of what you see visually as the overall blue level in a tank. It varies far too much with camera differences, white balance, exposure, contrast, saturation, etc to be an accurate idea of the look. My best advice if you're having trouble picking a combo is to buy all the bulbs you would need to make a few diff combos, like 1 aquablue special, 1 coral plus, 2 true actinics, 1 purple plus, and 4 blue plus... depending on whether you're stocking a 6 or 8 bulb fixture. Then you can play with a few options.

I would describe the above mixes as on the bluer end, but not totally blued out. That would be a mix including only blue plus or blue plus with a couple true actinics. The purple plus adds quite a bit of noticeable warmth, but not really a white hue.

OP
ATI North America

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
6 bulb:
blue plus
true actinic
blue plus
purple plus
true actinic
blue plus

8 bulb:
blue plus
true actinic
blue plus
purple plus
true actinic
blue plus
true actinic
blue plus
For my personal taste this would be way too blue, but I prefer a natural look like snorkeling or diving in 10-20' not the windex look of so many tanks these days. The beauty is the ability to choose whatever suits your fancy!

I would recommend getting a couple extra bulbs so you can mix and match and get the color you want.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
For my personal taste this would be way too blue, but I prefer a natural look like snorkeling or diving in 10-20' not the windex look of so many tanks these days. The beauty is the ability to choose whatever suits your fancy!

I would recommend getting a couple extra bulbs so you can mix and match and get the color you want.
I agree it's bluer, but you'd be surprised how much just one purple plus lightens the overall effect. For my clients it is almost too white if they are coming from the LED side of things hahaha. I like something a little more crisp white myself personally with an AB special in the mix, but you'd be surprised how many people tell me the bluer mix is too white and I have to drop the purple plus for another blue plus. I have one guy who insists on running only blue plus bulbs lol

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
I agree it's bluer, but you'd be surprised how much just one purple plus lightens the overall effect. For my clients it is almost too white if they are coming from the LED side of things hahaha. I like something a little more crisp white myself personally with an AB special in the mix, but you'd be surprised how many people tell me the bluer mix is too white and I have to drop the purple plus for another blue plus. I have one guy who insists on running only blue plus bulbs lol
I too really like the ABS in the mix/ I run 2 sets of 2x54. The rear set is B+ x 2, and the front is one actinic and one ABS. I love the overall balance in color and it allows for me to appreciate the color markings on my fish more. One ABS really helps to avoid the windex effect. I run this T5 set-up with three kessil a360's in the middle, and I have the T5's shut off for the last hour of the day and run the kessils at 5% to enjoy the fluorescence of my corals. Best of both worlds!

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
I too really like the ABS in the mix/ I run 2 sets of 2x54. The rear set is B+ x 2, and the front is one actinic and one ABS. I love the overall balance in color and it allows for me to appreciate the color markings on my fish more. One ABS really helps to avoid the windex effect. I run this T5 set-up with three kessil a360's in the middle, and I have the T5's shut off for the last hour of the day and run the kessils at 5% to enjoy the fluorescence of my corals. Best of both worlds!
If you like the ABS try a 6500k daylight lamp from a horticulture application. I've never seen fish or pink/blue stylos and acros look as good as under a mix with 6500k in it. Just something about that daylight spectrum that really enhances the non-fluorescent components of our tanks that tend to get overlooked in the era of LEDs.

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
If you like the ABS try a 6500k daylight lamp from a horticulture application. I've never seen fish or pink/blue stylos and acros look as good as under a mix with 6500k in it. Just something about that daylight spectrum that really enhances the non-fluorescent components of our tanks that tend to get overlooked in the era of LEDs.
I will definitely give a 6500k a try. That is what I love about T5's. You can mix it up and tweak the mix of spectrums to bring out and highlight parts of your reef that you cannot see under all blue spectrums. Thanks!

Todd1white

View Badges
Reaction score
I just got the AL hybrid 24” and jerryrigged 2 radion xr30w pro G4’s in it running the ab+ program. Using 2x blue +, 1x purple +, and 1x coral plus. I fell in love again! And can already notice lots of new growth!

Emmanuel Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score
My mixed 75 BB runs 4x blue+12hours, 2x coral+5hours, par 250 at the bottom, 685 1" under surface. Pics with all 6 bulbs on..

Wings, your tank is absolutely amazing and from the looked it’s well established. How old is your tank? Do you have a sump?

Emmanuel Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score
F8C4C7F5-60AE-4EA3-A673-F47556533CAD.jpeg F2989A0F-DF39-4972-A2AC-BDACD1D99412.jpeg 6414E656-A7EE-40F3-A2F4-1763D2BE04F4.jpeg 7BA80C8C-C5ED-4439-B659-2826283A7418.jpeg BFCCF952-3917-49B2-8425-A5C1BED87C8E.jpeg
F8C4C7F5-60AE-4EA3-A673-F47556533CAD.jpeg
F2989A0F-DF39-4972-A2AC-BDACD1D99412.jpeg
6414E656-A7EE-40F3-A2F4-1763D2BE04F4.jpeg
7BA80C8C-C5ED-4439-B659-2826283A7418.jpeg
BFCCF952-3917-49B2-8425-A5C1BED87C8E.jpeg
wow
Sure, thanks
Hadn't think of it, I was going to buy all these, now I will do it but 1st, I need a good cooler
Ali, all ATI fractures have build in fans. You don’t need to worry about your system overheating; besides, you should only be running your lights for 6-7 hours max everyday especially using t5.

I have the Sunpower Fracture and love it, my system is only two years old; see attach images:

Are most hobbyists using enough live rock these days?

• Yes

Votes: 104 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 155 34.7%
  • Not sure

Votes: 178 39.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 2.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors