Which ATI Bulb Combination Should I Choose?

OP
ATI North America

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Is this what you are looking for?

OP
ATI North America

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

Dainese954

View Badges
Reaction score
I do have a graph from the package on each bulb as well if that would have some value. The video is best IMO.
Thank you @ATI North America for answering all the questions being thrown at you. I am trying to supplement my 2 gen4 xr15 pros running ab+ for 45% intensity, with 2 39w ATI bulbs for growth and fill in the shadows. Would:
Blue+ and ab+,
Or
Blue+ and coral+,
Which combo could give me the corals pop but not windex coloration? Or is there another combo you would recommend?

OP
ATI North America

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you @ATI North America for answering all the questions being thrown at you. I am trying to supplement my 2 gen4 xr15 pros running ab+ for 45% intensity, with 2 39w ATI bulbs for growth and fill in the shadows. Would:
Blue+ and ab+,
Or
Blue+ and coral+,
Which combo could give me the corals pop but not windex coloration? Or is there another combo you would recommend?
Honestly I don't think either of these options are going to give you "coral pop". LEDs are better at creating the "black light" look most people are going for when they say coral pop, you simply will not achieve that look with just T5's.

Look at the images attached. If you are going for the pic I titled "coral pop", you won't with T5.

Personally I think the "coral pop" look is ridiculous, its fake and unnatural, but more and more I feel I am becoming unusual in my opinion. More and more online retailers are making corals appear this way to sell them, not because they have natural beauty, but because they have high amounts of florescence which you would never see in nature.

I'll stick to natural "what you see scuba diving in 20-30' " look myself but that's just me.

If I had Radions, I would likely choose Blue+ and ABS since that is more my taste.

Just for good measure, I included a photo of my personal reef. These are unedited, no special app, no filters, no adjusting colors, this is shot straight from iPhone camera and posted.

T5 Reef.jpg coral pop.jpg Keith Reef 3.JPG Keith Reef 2.JPG Keith Reef.JPG

Dainese954

View Badges
Reaction score
Honestly I don't think either of these options are going to give you "coral pop". LEDs are better at creating the "black light" look most people are going for when they say coral pop, you simply will not achieve that look with just T5's.

Look at the images attached. If you are going for the pic I titled "coral pop", you won't with T5.

Personally I think the "coral pop" look is ridiculous, its fake and unnatural, but more and more I feel I am becoming unusual in my opinion. More and more online retailers are making corals appear this way to sell them, not because they have natural beauty, but because they have high amounts of florescence which you would never see in nature.

I'll stick to natural "what you see scuba diving in 20-30' " look myself but that's just me.

If I had Radions, I would likely choose Blue+ and ABS since that is more my taste.

Just for good measure, I included a photo of my personal reef. These are unedited, no special app, no filters, no adjusting colors, this is shot straight from iPhone camera and posted.

T5 Reef.jpg coral pop.jpg Keith Reef 3.JPG Keith Reef 2.JPG Keith Reef.JPG
I’m SOLD!!! Your tank looks phenomenal. Thank you for your recommendation, I’m looking forward to give T5 a try. Wish me luck!!!

OP
ATI North America

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I’m SOLD!!! Your tank looks phenomenal. Thank you for your recommendation, I’m looking forward to give T5 a try. Wish me luck!!!
To be clear, the first photo is not mine, that was an example of a T5 only tank. Mine are the bottom 3 including the reflection of my kitchen lights :rolleyes:

Last edited:

fishnugget1

View Badges
Reaction score
I have a Giesman Aurora. I am sps dominate. I have been using 2 Blue + and 2 Coral Plus along with their 4 banks of leds in the Auraora (Cree lamps) that put out a total of 300 watt. (75 per bank) My par is low being only 240 at the top and 90 on sand. Tank is 24 inches deep. I have their whites and only 15 because if I raise much more the tank is very white. Lose that windex look. My corals are growing well being adjusted to lower par. However I would like to raise the par so I can grow more sps 250-350 par and more chalices and lower light sps in the middle. I would like a bluer look. If I raise the whites what could I change in tank to keep growth but bluer. Also Corals growing but not as vibrant colors as I would like. Fixture 8.5 inches off water.

Any thoughts?

OP
ATI North America

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have a Giesman Aurora. I am sps dominate. I have been using 2 Blue + and 2 Coral Plus along with their 4 banks of leds in the Auraora (Cree lamps) that put out a total of 300 watt. (75 per bank) My par is low being only 240 at the top and 90 on sand. Tank is 24 inches deep. I have their whites and only 15 because if I raise much more the tank is very white. Lose that windex look. My corals are growing well being adjusted to lower par. However I would like to raise the par so I can grow more sps 250-350 par and more chalices and lower light sps in the middle. I would like a bluer look. If I raise the whites what could I change in tank to keep growth but bluer. Also Corals growing but not as vibrant colors as I would like. Fixture 8.5 inches off water.

Any thoughts?

Pretty sure we spoke on the phone today, if I am incorrect let me know.

Cheers

JFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello guys,

What would be the 2 bulbs with the highest PAR & PUR?

Thanks!

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Not sure if this question ever comes up since most young folks today probably don't even know what an aquarium that had a Radium bulb looked like, but after several years of using and loving ATI Powermodules I finally realized how to get a look that is virtually identical to a Radium MH look. My fixture is an 8 bulb model and I run 1:1 Blue+ and Actinic with both blue LED channels at 100% and the white channel at 50%. This gives my a perfect replication of the Radium with shimmer and all. I have my old Geissmann and hung it next to the ATI and aside from a little more shimmer you really can't see a difference. Not to mention the corals LOVE the combo of Blue+ and Actinic :)

Hello guys,

What would be the 2 bulbs with the highest PAR & PUR?

Thanks!
Can't really say if the combo above is the "highest", but I can say my corals are growing like crazy and have tremendous color using the combo of Blue+ and Actinic. I'm certain they are not the highest in PAR, but certainly they are up there in PUR.

BigE.JPG

JFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Not sure if this question ever comes up since most young folks today probably don't even know what an aquarium that had a Radium bulb looked like, but after several years of using and loving ATI Powermodules I finally realized how to get a look that is virtually identical to a Radium MH look. My fixture is an 8 bulb model and I run 1:1 Blue+ and Actinic with both blue LED channels at 100% and the white channel at 50%. This gives my a perfect replication of the Radium with shimmer and all. I have my old Geissmann and hung it next to the ATI and aside from a little more shimmer you really can't see a difference. Not to mention the corals LOVE the combo of Blue+ and Actinic :)

Can't really say if the combo above is the "highest", but I can say my corals are growing like crazy and have tremendous color using the combo of Blue+ and Actinic. I'm certain they are not the highest in PAR, but certainly they are up there in PUR.

BigE.JPG
Cheers bud!!

Nice Acro BTW...

Oh and I'm from the time of HQI, too...

OP
ATI North America

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Not sure if this question ever comes up since most young folks today probably don't even know what an aquarium that had a Radium bulb looked like, but after several years of using and loving ATI Powermodules I finally realized how to get a look that is virtually identical to a Radium MH look.
What's a Radium? JK!
Next question is if it was on a magnetic or HQI ballast since that made a huge difference in the color. I still have some "Select-A-Watt" ballasts in my garage :)

When I had a retail store I used to run dual 1000w Radiums with 2x VHO actinic over a 60x30x12" frag tank. Corals loved all that light.

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
What's a Radium? JK!
Next question is if it was on a magnetic or HQI ballast since that made a huge difference in the color. I still have some "Select-A-Watt" ballasts in my garage :)

When I had a retail store I used to run dual 1000w Radiums with 2x VHO actinic over a 60x30x12" frag tank. Corals loved all that light.

Hah, Thats too funny. I actually just gave 2 1000w Radiums to the Norwalk Aquarium. I've had them sitting in a box in my basement for over a decade. Ran them briefly over an acrylic tank and cracked the top from the heat. Silly me :) My Giessmann uses the HQI ballast of course. Actually I'll be putting it up for sale . . . not that I think it will garner much interest. Anyways, can't say how much I'm lovin' my Powermodule.

Question: Is there a point when one tries to replace the LEDs or should one simply plan on ultimately replacing the fixtures after x number of years?

OP
ATI North America

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Question: Is there a point when one tries to replace the LEDs or should one simply plan on ultimately replacing the fixtures after x number of years?
You shouldn't ever need to replace the clusters, you may loose a diode or two at some point but its unlikely and certainly not necessary to have to replace it.

Jgro1413

View Badges
Reaction score
Any 4 bulb recommendations for a 40 breeder with mainly zoa's. Currently 3 blue + and one true atinic

Are most hobbyists using enough live rock these days?

• Yes

Votes: 104 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 157 34.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 180 39.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 2.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors