Which ATO gets your vote for Best of 2019?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, you guys don’t offer it in your lineup. It’s the Spectrapure UPLC-ATO with dual pressure sensors and a variable speed intermittent duty peristaltic pump.

Out of your offerings though, I would go with the venerable Tunze 3155 as the best in your lineup. I ran one for years problem free. You cannot deny to reliability and superb customer support offered by Tunze customer service and theif USA rep, Roger Vitko. I will say that I was shocked about your lack of even mentioning any Tunze power Heads in your “Best of Powerheads” bit. These things last decades and didnt even get a mention.

Well said! I came here to mention Specrapure and Tunze as a close second.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote Tunze. I do have two for like 15+ years.

Sensors can get touchy (I never figured out why, but I think I had too much light shining into sump hitting the optical).
Once I got things fixed with placement, they have been running reliably.

Those pumps don't last, but are replaceable for cheap. Over the years, I have had to replace 4 times.
I always have a spare on hand.

But ATO's are simple things. So I never bought more for Frag Tank, QT's etc. Made my own.
With a simple Micro Controller (Cheap Ardiuno , or a Raspberry pi Zero), a Float or Optical water sensor, (Pump of your choice) ...you can make you own in like 1-2 days. (if you are tech savy, or want to learn).

Not for everyone, but you can add more sensors, and logic, like the flood sensing, over fill limits, alarms, email notices. etc.

I did and was going to replace my Tunzie's too, but got into making another DIY controller....

I made something really complex (using Ardiuno and a Raspberry Pi).
Just about to install it after final testing. A high Tech DIY Alk Monitor.
But that's another Topic and another thread..

Last edited:

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote for a simple float valve. Mine has been running trouble free for two years now. I only run enough topoff water to last 7 days and in case it ever was to fail it would not be catastrophic and my 160 gallon display tank would be just fine. Simple, no wires, nothing to clean and $10.

Last edited:

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS - honestly you guys should evaluate Spectrapure UPLC-II auto top off . It’s literally the cadillac of auto top off without any maintenance for years .
This is coming from a Tunze fanboy and spectrapure does beat the Tunze sadly .

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS - honestly you guys should evaluate Spectrapure UPLC-II auto top off . It’s literally the cadillac of auto top off without any maintenance for years .

I just don't see this happening unfortunately. This same statement could be said for A LOT of types of equipment. There are a lot of areas where BRS could improve there product offerings with better products than what they currently carry. But for whatever reason, they refuse to.

Richard John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote for a simple float valve. Mine has been running trouble free for two years now. I only run enough topoff water to last 7 days and in case it ever was to fail it would not be catastrophic and my 160 gallon display tank would be just fine. Simple, no wires, nothing to clean and $10.

Same for me it’s been working fine for years

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have this one that is basically the same thing for 1/3 the price. I would trust it over any with an optical eye and ran it for a year with no problems. Still I went back to just using a float valve. Really is nice to not have to worry about failures. Simple and just works 100% of the time.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also looking at purchasing the spectrapure UPLC 2. It's $279.99 on their website. Do these ever have sales in past reefers experience?

Also while we're talking RODI, am I able to use an old filter guys machine with new cartridges from other companies (BRS, spectrapure)? Assuming these all are interchangeable filters with standard sizes between machines.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Just set up a tunze driving a brs doser in the basement, nice. Just wish BRS had a larger doser ;)

20191221_154029.jpg

20191221_154131.jpg

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok stupid question. Would the Tunze nano work for a larger aquarium? 120 gallons with a 55 gallon sump? If not I am going with the Hydrofill titanium one I just don't want to have to buy a pump.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running a Tunze Nano, until it malfunctioned....and drained several gallons of RODI into my system. I'm now running a Kamoer ATO. This ATO has 3 sensors, an optical for water height ato activation, a float switch that kills the ato pump if the level rises up to far, and a 3rd float sensor for the ato tank to detect low water / no water. If either of the secondary float switches activate then an alarm sounds. The pump is absolutely dead silent, whereas the Tunze always had a hum whenever it was running.
I was looking for this after reading your comment. It seems the new one only comes with two sensors both optical. Supposed to be upgraded. Do you have the Ist one or the newer version?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 37.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back