Which checker or test kit does everyone use for Copper

Keesers

Captain Saltwater Pants
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, what’s everyone’s go to for copper testing, that seems to have the best results. Will be using fritz CopperSafe so itS Chelated Copper. Got some Fish coming in from LA not DD and I need to get them in display as soon as possible for some algae issues starting to upcrop that I don’t like. So they will be going in cycled QT w/ copper that I have running instead of my OT for corals and inverts were I would put DD ones for two weeks to make sure they are eating.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, what’s everyone’s go to for copper testing, that seems to have the best results. Will be using fritz CopperSafe so itS Chelated Copper. Got some Fish coming in from LA not DD and I need to get them in display as soon as possible for some algae issues starting to upcrop that I don’t like. So they will be going in cycled QT w/ copper that I have running instead of my OT for corals and inverts were I would put DD ones for two weeks to make sure they are eating.
Hanna high range copper.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thank you I’ll see if I can find one on group, what would be second choose if you couldn’t get that. Things are a little hard to come by with everything
Honestly,there is no second choice for me. See what others say.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna HL Copper Checker ;)

Used several of the color matching tests kits from Red Sea, API, Salifert, etc. So inaccurate it was incredible. Over dosing was too easy. Was dosing Coppersafe and using the Red Sea test kit when I got my Hanna. Checked the water and . . . turned out I was over dosing by almost 40%. Yikes!

OP
OP
Keesers

Keesers

Captain Saltwater Pants
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Used several of the color matching tests kits from Red Sea, API, Salifert, etc. So inaccurate it was incredible. Over dosing was too easy. Was dosing Coppersafe and using the Red Sea test kit when I got my Hanna. Checked the water and . . . turned out I was over dosing by almost 40%. Yikes!
Holy cow. That’s scary I have heard that the other ones just don’t compare. I was hoping it was just reviews you know can lots of time be skewed by upset people. So I’m glad that both responses so far are for Hanna. Hopefully someone has one on here.

notclear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I dosed Coppersafe and asked Hanna whether their tester is OK to measure Coppersafe, here was their answer:

Your email was transferred to us as we are the Hanna Instruments Canadian sales office. Unfortunately, our Copper colorimeter cannot be used to test Coppersafe as it is a mixture of several components and our colorimeter‘s reagent is specific to the presence of the CU2 ion in a water sample. Other components found in Coppersafe will interfere with the proper reagent/sample reaction rendering the results null.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed Coppersafe and asked Hanna whether their tester is OK to measure Coppersafe, here was their answer:

Your email was transferred to us as we are the Hanna Instruments Canadian sales office. Unfortunately, our Copper colorimeter cannot be used to test Coppersafe as it is a mixture of several components and our colorimeter‘s reagent is specific to the presence of the CU2 ion in a water sample. Other components found in Coppersafe will interfere with the proper reagent/sample reaction rendering the results null.
Interesting. Initially when @HotRocks started testing the Hanna, if my old memory serves me right, they said that the tester would not work on saltwater. Hmmm. Perhaps Hotrocks can chime in on this.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was just coming in to suggest Hanna and tag @HotRocks, but that's been done... so I'll just tag @4FordFamily because he never does anything and needs something to look at. :p

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Initially when @HotRocks started testing the Hanna, if my old memory serves me right, they said that the tester would not work on saltwater. Hmmm. Perhaps Hotrocks can chime in on this.

This was changed right? I use mine in saltwater lol

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't remember where it is to reference it but @HotRocks found it to very accurate even though Hanna didn't recommend it for saltwater.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just coming in to suggest Hanna and tag @HotRocks, but that's been done... so I'll just tag @4FordFamily because he never does anything and needs something to look at. :p
Haha thanks buddy!

I highly recommend it, Hanna eventually came back and tested on their own and found it highly accurate. No better way to test copper IMO

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were some issues with Coppersafe varying in strength from bottle to bottle. So most of us switched to Copper Power.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper Power and Hannah is the way to go for sure like the others have said. I find dealing with copper testing is a pain but unfortunately has become a necessary evil

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used a few different test kits and recently purchased a Hannah for high range copper... let me tell you first hand.. don’t bother with other kits!

You will get a small range and play the match up the color to guess which shade of blue is it..

when dealing with copper especially, the amount of copper dose for therapeutic levels and lethal are to close for guess work..

Also purchase more reagents as the kit comes with enough for 6 tests

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back