Which cover is better for lighting. A screen cover or glass?

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon aquarium. It’s the old fashioned type with the plastic bar thru center at the top. The tank measures 48 L X 13 W X 18 Deep. I have the Fluval Marine LED light.
I have picked up both a 2 pcs glass and wire mesh covers. I figured I’d experiment with both.
The I was like oh yeah R2R...
So just curious which people have had a good experience with.

My tank is 50/50 LPS and softies I have 1 piece of SPS.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon aquarium. It’s the old fashioned type with the plastic bar thru center at the top. The tank measures 48 L X 13 W X 18 Deep. I have the Fluval Marine LED light.
I have picked up both a 2 pcs glass and wire mesh covers. I figured I’d experiment with both.

I think you probably want to keep the wire mesh away from the tank if it is metal mesh.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what the wire is made of (probably a no go) but imo a mesh cover is better than glass. Glass fogs up quickly (salt creep) and keeps fresh air away from you water (do you have a sump?) only good thing about glass is it slows down evaporation

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what the wire is made of (probably a no go) but imo a mesh cover is better than glass. Glass fogs up quickly (salt creep) and keeps fresh air away from you water (do you have a sump?) only good thing about glass is it slows down evaporation

yes I have a sump.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I have a sump.
OK so as long as that's not covered you'll get your fresh air there. If evaporation/top off is a chore then go glass, otherwise mesh all the way (more fresh air, lighter/easier to work with, let's more light in, doesnt need cleaned as often)

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do we build our mesh screens using aluminum frames. How come we cant get these frames in plastic?

Brs has screen mesh
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/clear-netting.html
And you can get window screen frames from lowes
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Saint-Gobain-ADFORS-1-in-x-8-ft-Brown-Aluminum-Frame-Connector/3094521
This is what I currently use and love it. Got the mesh for dirt cheap on ebay. Only downside is the window screen bar paint isnt doing so well. I'll need to coat it in something else soon.
1597183066029612569646300925334.jpg

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Plastic mesh for jumpers and better gas exchange. I don't like full covers because they remove to much air surface gas exchange.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a glass lid and the Fluval light on my 46 Bow and have a lot of trouble with condensation on the lid. I have a small plastic squeegee that I keep near the tank to wipe it off regularly. I only keep softies but they seem to do just fine with this setup.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your is clear mesh like https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/clear-netting.html, it will be non problem for light.

The actual deciding factor is evaporation. If your place is hot, you will need screen to encourage evaporation to cool down the tank. If your place is dry or cool, you will want glass to keep evaporation in to save on ATO and heating.

kels64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I currently use and love it. Got the mesh for dirt cheap on ebay. Only downside is the window screen bar paint isnt doing so well. I'll need to coat it in something else soon.
1597183066029612569646300925334.jpg
Have you ever thought about using the plastic mesh material that is used for needle point/rug making? It certainly would be correctly sized and would prevent any escapes. Just curious if anybody’s ever tried that on a plastic frame. You would actually be able to lash it to a plastic frame using some plastic lacing. That would eliminate any rusting.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back