Which diameter to use?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4' long 120g tank with a single 1" corner return line that I'd like to place a RFG on. Problem is that I probably am only pushing 300 gph through the sump and back into the display (I use a pair of XF250 Gyres for my main flow). What I'm trying to accomplish is breaking up the static linear flow I currently have from the return pipe and add a bit more turbulence to the other half of the tank opposite the return.

On a 4' tank at that low of flow, would you recommend I use the 1" RFG or reduce down to a 3/4"?

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4' long 120g tank with a single 1" corner return line that I'd like to place a RFG on. Problem is that I probably am only pushing 300 gph through the sump and back into the display (I use a pair of XF250 Gyres for my main flow). What I'm trying to accomplish is breaking up the static linear flow I currently have from the return pipe and add a bit more turbulence to the other half of the tank opposite the return.

On a 4' tank at that low of flow, would you recommend I use the 1" RFG or reduce down to a 3/4"?
For that low of a flow, i would definitely reduce it down to the 3/4in or possible even the 1/2n. The 1/2in will likely give you a stronger flow pattern at 300GPH than the 3/4in would.

Give me a few minutes and I'll shoot a quick video showing the two nozzles at 300 GPH.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sierra_Bravo - here's a quick video of the 3/4in RFG and the 1/2in RFG at approx 300 GPH.
As usual, i pumped air into the return line so you could actually see the flow the nozzle is creating.
https://www.reef2reef.com/members/sierra_bravo.77970/
At around 300 GPH. it looks to be that the 1/2inm RFG is going to create a more disruptive flow than the 3/4in would, which is what i think you're after.

Take a look - hopefully the video helps you answer your question.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You stopped whatever you were doing and created a video to answer my specific question? If that isn't incredible customer service I don't know what is. I'm impressed - thanks for that.

I'll get a solid measurement on my return volume and make a decision from there. I actually hope my flow is higher than my estimate so I don't have to reduce all the way down to 1/2". If I manage to get somewhere in between those two flow patterns you showed I'd be happy.

Thanks for your help!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was happy when I asked them a question yesterday via their site and got an answer very quickly. I then placed my order. Now that I see what they did for you, I’m even happier! Keep up the good work VCA! And the great products.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You stopped whatever you were doing and created a video to answer my specific question? If that isn't incredible customer service I don't know what is. I'm impressed - thanks for that.

No problem - I have our Demo Tank setup here in the office, so it's pretty easy to grab videos like this. I can demo an RFG from as little as 100 GPH to as much as 800-900 GPH in this tank - so if you need to see another GPH - just post your request here. :)

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've established my flow at ~430 gph. I went ahead and ordered the 3/4" version as it will accomplish what I'm looking for. Thanks for your help.
We'll get that shipped out to you on Monday. Should be in your mailbox in about 3 days.
Thank you!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back