Which filter floss do you use with the Red Sea filter media cup?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using this for years.. get it at Walmart for like $5 a bag in the sewing section. US made with no chemicals or fire retardants

CDDA4E2B-DEB4-4B58-8859-5D446D122183.png

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get it at Wally World on the Cheap. put Matrix in the bottom of the cup and just filter flossin the top.

Same. I stick carbon in the middle for some unknown reason. Seems to me that carbon on the bottom is a better play. I have no idea why I decided to put it in the center?!?!

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same. I stick carbon in the middle for some unknown reason. Seems to me that carbon on the bottom is a better play. I have no idea why I decided to put it in the center?!?!

When you order the RS filter media cup they give you a free media bag for the carbon which I would place on the bottom of the cup and naturally the rolled up floss on top. I know that there are all different qualities of carbon sold, is anyone using the Red Sea REEF-SPEC carbon? I know it is a little pricey but I LFS said it was excellent.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using this for years.. get it at Walmart for like $5 a bag in the sewing section. US made with no chemicals or fire retardants

CDDA4E2B-DEB4-4B58-8859-5D446D122183.png

Frankly I avoid going to Walmart, a few months ago I went there and someone backed into my car's rear light and that cost me a few hundred dollars to replace. :(

I found these 2 media rolls on Amazon and they both received 5 stars from the reviews which I like to use as a guide when purchasing products for the first time. Do you think the thickness makes a difference as one is 3/8-1/2 inch and the other one is 3/4-1 inch thick?
https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Filter-Pad-Premium-Density/dp/B01AHIOM8A
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M7PI6V4?ref_=pe_623860_70668520_dpLink

The thicker roll has 461 reviews and 90% of them are 5 stars.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree and try to avoid Walmart like the plague ;) I’m retired and living on a modest pension so I force myself to go because I can save a lot on some of the things I need and they support US manufacturers..

That amazon floss looks fine except for the price, I would go with the thinner stuff because it won’t clog as fast and you can always fold it over to increase thickness if needed.

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you order the RS filter media cup they give you a free media bag for the carbon which I would place on the bottom of the cup and naturally the rolled up floss on top. I know that there are all different qualities of carbon sold, is anyone using the Red Sea REEF-SPEC carbon? I know it is a little pricey but I LFS said it was excellent.

That's what that bag is for?!

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frankly I avoid going to Walmart, a few months ago I went there and someone backed into my car's rear light and that cost me a few hundred dollars to replace. :(

I found these 2 media rolls on Amazon and they both received 5 stars from the reviews which I like to use as a guide when purchasing products for the first time. Do you think the thickness makes a difference as one is 3/8-1/2 inch and the other one is 3/4-1 inch thick?
https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Filter-Pad-Premium-Density/dp/B01AHIOM8A
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M7PI6V4?ref_=pe_623860_70668520_dpLink

I intend to cut the floss and roll it up and place on top of the media bag for the carbon which I would place on the bottom of the cup, which thickness will better serve my purpose, 3/8-1/2 inch or 3/4-1 inch thick?

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey can you explain what you place on the bottom? Seems like you use carbon in the middle and floss at the top? Do you think

MarineLand Diamond Media Premium Activated Carbon, Blacks & Grays, 40-Ounce (PA0373)

is a good option for carbon if I put in a media bag? Is it okay to use carbon in a new tank?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah they can’t park at my Wally world either, Inside: undergarments, dentures and deodorant optional…

still, I get the giant bag of poly fiber at Joanne Fabics, Pat Catans or whatever craft store
+Red sea cups of course

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they can’t park at my Wally world either, Inside: undergarments, dentures and deodorant optional…

still, I get the giant bag of poly fiber at Joanne Fabics, Pat Catans or whatever craft store
+Red sea cups of course
They can't park at anyone's Wally World - it's a global travesty. My Wally World isn't quite as bad as "People of Wally World", but it's my least favorite place to shop.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back