Which filter insert do I need?

Hatohimikana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I bought a 70gallon hang back filter the AquaClear for my 20 gallon tank and it camer with filter inserts. I was wondering if these are safe for saltwater? I have 2 months of fresh water experience and have used these but im not sure if these are safe. If not or if anything, what do i put in my filter?

ps. im not going to use a sump or a canister YET. so i just need help with my hang back filter. THANK YOU!

here are the filter inserts

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The carbon and biomax pellets are both reef safe (make sure to rinse the carbon before putting it in the filter). I don’t know anything about the ammonia remover (and the pic is too blurry to read what’s in it), so I wouldn’t use it (you don’t really need it anyway, you want to be building up bacteria that will convert ammonia not chemically
getting rid of ammonia). Personally, if it were me, I’d put the carbon and some filter floss in it (make sure to change these regularly, the floss at least once a week, you can reuse it, just rinse it either in ro/di water or in the water you siphon out from water changes, and the carbon every 30-60 days depending on bio load) and then section off the other 2/3s of the filter space (use a slatted piece of plastic from the media basket) and run it as a makeshift refugium (you’ll need some macro algae maybe some live rock rubble and a light). There are better and more permanent diys you can do with this tank to make it a refugium, but it doesn’t have to be anything fancy, and it can definitely triple as a mechanical, chemical, and biological filter. I would also recommend you get at least 15lbs of live rock (if you go with dry rock, try to get at least one piece of wet/real live rock to seed the rest of it).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back