Which fish should I add to my fish-only aquarium?

OP
OP
J

jeremyg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only callout would be your Coral Beauty, my experience adding new (dwarf) angels with an established CB means a lot of aggression (I’ve had to pull a Regal Angel within hours b/c it was constantly terrorized by my CB).

Might just be my luck with CBs, but I find them to be the most aggressive toward conspecifics.

So far this is what I’m thinking:
  1. Emperor Angelfish
  2. Lemonpeel (dwarf) Angelfish
  3. Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish
  4. Midas Blenny
  5. Royal Gramma
  6. Some kind of wrasse that would get along with the leopard I have. Any suggestions???

OP
OP
J

jeremyg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, the local guy I usually get fish from says these fish “will get killed” in our tank. Is he being overly cautious? Would I be silly to order them elsewhere anyhow?
  • Emperor Angelfish
  • Lemonpeel (dwarf) Angelfish
  • Midas Blenny
  • Royal Gramma
He had no issue with the Longnose butterfly and some agile chromis.

Here’s a pic of my fish btw:
9B3C2713-87E4-4D0D-AFB8-A0BB67E85C62.jpeg

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, the local guy I usually get fish from says these fish “will get killed” in our tank. Is he being overly cautious? Would I be silly to order them elsewhere anyhow?
  • Emperor Angelfish
  • Lemonpeel (dwarf) Angelfish
  • Midas Blenny
  • Royal Gramma
He had no issue with the Longnose butterfly and some agile chromis.

Here’s a pic of my fish btw:
9B3C2713-87E4-4D0D-AFB8-A0BB67E85C62.jpeg
Doesn't look like there's lots of hiding places for new additions which will definitely limit your options. Especially with some of the established fish being notoriously aggressive.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What about a Picasso Triggerfish...?

A Picasso should be fine. Alternatively, a reef safe-r trigger like a bluejaw, sargassum, pink tail are also worth considering.

Just avoid the psychopath triggers: Queen, Clown, Undulate.

OP
OP
J

jeremyg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Picasso should be fine. Alternatively, a reef safe-r trigger like a bluejaw, sargassum, pink tail are also worth considering.

Just avoid the psychopath triggers: Queen, Clown, Undulate.
No concern about the Picasso triggerfish killing the other fish in my tank? I’ve heard that they can be pretty aggressive.

OP
OP
J

jeremyg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look like there's lots of hiding places for new additions which will definitely limit your options. Especially with some of the established fish being notoriously aggressive.
That's a good point. I am not ready to move into rockscaping just yet, so I'll pick up a few artificial caves/hides and see what works.
1675200055108.png
1675200075654.png
1675200085357.png
1675200111277.png

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good point. I am not ready to move into rockscaping just yet, so I'll pick up a few artificial caves/hides and see what works.
1675200055108.png
1675200075654.png
1675200085357.png
1675200111277.png
Those would help, I would also recommend using an acclimation box as part of your acclimation progress.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No concern about the Picasso triggerfish killing the other fish in my tank? I’ve heard that they can be pretty aggressive.

There’s always a risk with triggers turning on fish. For sure, any clean up crew you have will be gone and it may end up tearing up or moving around your decorations. I don’t think Picasso’s have a reputation for turning psycho on fish tankmates though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m looking for some recommendations for new and interesting fish to add to our saltwater aquarium. It’s approx 170 gallons (60” W x 22” L).

These are the fish we have currently:
  • Queen angel
  • King angel
  • Grey angelf
  • Blue hippo tang (x2)
  • Powder brown tang
  • Clownfish (x3)
  • Coral beauty
  • Bangaii cardinal
  • Oxina cardinal
  • Flame hawkfish
  • Leopard wrasse
These are some of the fish we have had, but lost and would prefer NOT to add again soon. Would be interested in other varieties before trying these again:
  • Blue green chromis
  • Flame angel
  • Potters angel
  • Racoon butterflyfish
  • Yellow goby
  • Yellow tang
Is there coral in the tank? If so, risks will be potters (IF you can find one). flame angel and for sure Racoon butterfly. Yellow goby and flame otherwise would be my preference.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about like a porcupine puffer? THose things are sweet.

Also agree with some of the others that no fish only seems complete without somekind of trigger. And they come in some cool designs

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about like a porcupine puffer? THose things are sweet.

Also agree with some of the others that no fish only seems complete without somekind of trigger. And they come in some cool designs
This tank is already pushing it in terms of large fish. A porcupine puffer would exacerbate that issue

OP
OP
J

jeremyg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is full list of current + fish I'd like to add:

Current:
  • Queen angel
  • King angel
  • Grey angel
  • Blue hippo tang (x2)
  • Powder brown tang
  • Clownfish (x3)
  • Coral beauty
  • Bangaii cardinal
  • Oxina cardinal
  • Flame hawkfish
  • Leopard wrasse
New:
  • Midas Blenny
  • Emperor Angelfish (Juvenile)
  • Lemonpeel Angelfish
  • Royal Gramma (x3-5)
  • Longnose Butterfly
  • Agile Chromis
  • Humu Picasso Triggerfish

I really like the idea of the Humu Picasso Triggerfish. If I add sufficient hiding places for the other smaller fish, y'all think that trigger is unlikely to turn on the other fish we have/add?

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for some recommendations for new and interesting fish to add to our saltwater aquarium. It’s approx 170 gallons (60” W x 22” L).

• Queen angel
  • King angel
  • Grey angelf
  • Blue hippo tang (x2)
  • Powder brown tang
  • Clownfish (x3)
  • Coral beauty
  • Bangaii cardinal
  • Oxina cardinal
  • Flame hawkfish
  • Leopard wrasse
These are some of the fish we have had, but lost and would prefer NOT to add again soon. Would be interested in other varieties before trying these again:
  • Blue green chromis
  • Flame angel
  • Potters angel
  • Racoon butterflyfish
  • Yellow goby
  • Yellow tang
How about an Australian Harlequin Tusk? I have one in my FOWLR and he’s spectacular. Gets along with everyone and no one bothers him.

Peterrdee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

• Queen angel
  • King angel
  • Grey angelf
  • Blue hippo tang (x2)
  • Powder brown tang
  • Clownfish (x3)
  • Coral beauty
  • Bangaii cardinal
  • Oxina cardinal
  • Flame hawkfish
  • Leopard wrasse
  • Blue green chromis
  • Flame angel
  • Potters angel
  • Racoon butterflyfish
  • Yellow goby
  • Yellow tang
So basically im with you on the raccoon. They are great with other fish but other butterflies and it’s literally full on aggressive mode, I just put a teardrop in my 210 and the raccoon won’t stop attacking within the isolation box I put them in, and my tear drop won’t leave the raccoon alone… I honestly am so heartbroken because I love both of them but I can’t have the raccoon if he’s going to just attack and kill the other butterflies… I can’t even get more than 4 fish in this 210g without them jumping out the quarantine, getting sucked up by pumps or being super aggressive to the new fish. 5D9AA9D1-0714-431D-B9B1-3406E43499E6.jpeg 226E5756-ED25-4C33-A713-7FB0A26E4FFE.jpeg D538FF42-012D-4531-AFF3-3EBD40B91EC3.jpeg 34C38BAB-95FC-4567-B85A-0E8ED46FDE05.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0044.MOV
    40 MB
  • IMG_0045.MOV
    32.4 MB
OP
OP
J

jeremyg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically im with you on the raccoon. They are great with other fish but other butterflies and it’s literally full on aggressive mode, I just put a teardrop in my 210 and the raccoon won’t stop attacking within the isolation box I put them in, and my tear drop won’t leave the raccoon alone… I honestly am so heartbroken because I love both of them but I can’t have the raccoon if he’s going to just attack and kill the other butterflies… I can’t even get more than 4 fish in this 210g without them jumping out the quarantine, getting sucked up by pumps or being super aggressive to the new fish.
Check out my new list a few posts above.

Btw we tried the raccoon 3 times and none of them lasted more than 2 weeks. Tank was petty new then though, so that may have been a factor.

Peterrdee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my new list a few posts above.

Btw we tried the raccoon 3 times and none of them lasted more than 2 weeks. Tank was petty new then though, so that may have been a factor.
Yea I waited for a month to put mine in, and put dr tims in a few times before I got anything else, I started my 210 with a single pink skunk clown haha

OP
OP
J

jeremyg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got a new crop of fish from Dr Reef.
  1. Picasso Triggerfish
  2. Lemonpeel Angel
  3. Emperor Angel
  4. Midas Blenny (hiding in the decoration behind the emperor)
  5. Diamond Goby (hiding in the sand)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back