Which fish should I bring out of QT today?

Vote for the group of tangs to be added to the 112 gallon tank today

• Total voters

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to bring some tangs out of QT today into the 112 gallon Mixed reef tank you get to vote to decide which group goes in first!

The first group includes Two Purple Tangs, 1 Gem Tang and a Tomini tang. We will call this "Group A"

The second group includes a Powder Blue Tang and a Powder Brown Tang, We will call this "Group B"

Vote below!

I'll be adding the group that has the most votes at 4pm PST

You can watch LIVE on the YouTube channel @ http://live.innovusaquaculture.com

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not 100% sure whether you mean they have been in separate QT “groups” that way, and have at least been getting along group-wise— which is likely what you have done, otherwise that would have meant a LOT of separate tanks— and I also don’t know if all fish are generally the same size; lastly, I am assuming you are confident your tank is fully cycled to accept the bio-load... but I say dump them all in and maybe in the chaos no ‘one’ fish will get picked on. (Monitor your ammonia level— have water-change water ready just in case.)

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not 100% sure whether you mean they have been in separate QT “groups” that way, and have at least been getting along group-wise— which is likely what you have done, otherwise that would have meant a LOT of separate tanks— and I also don’t know if all fish are generally the same size; lastly, I am assuming you are confident your tank is fully cycled to accept the bio-load... but I say dump them all in and maybe in the chaos no ‘one’ fish will get picked on. (Monitor your ammonia level— have water-change water ready just in case.)
I do have over 60 gallons of salt water on hand for a water change. I have an ammonia badge in the tank to watch.

The groups of Tangs have been in the same QT tanks, though I do have a total of 8 fish QT tanks. Yes, all the tangs a generally the same size. The smallest is the Gem Tang. It is in with the two purple tangs.

The tank does currently have 7 Anthias in it and they have been in it for over two weeks. The tank has been cycled for over 4 months.

TuxUrchin07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty bad idea to add both powders because they look similar they are going to kill each other. And I don't think 2 purple tangs is a good idea either

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to be clear, I agree with both @TuxUrchin07 "and" @Patman... I'm not saying that those particular Tangs will all get along. I'm saying "if" you bought them to go together, and your intentions are to 'go for it' regardless-- then all at once seems to be your best bet. Keep us posted, we're looking for a success-story here ;Happy

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "powders" have been in QT together for 2 months. While there are 3 pieces of PVC in the QT tank they prefer to stay in the same PVC together at night.

The purples have been in QT together for over 45 days. They have shared the QT tank with the Gem tang and the Tomini tang. The Tomini is the most aggressive and also the most shy, a weird combination.

They are all model citizens, so far. They will be going into a much larger tank with much more room to stake out their space.

TuxUrchin07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "powders" have been in QT together for 2 months. While there are 3 pieces of PVC in the QT tank they prefer to stay in the same PVC together at night.

The purples have been in QT together for over 45 days. They have shared the QT tank with the Gem tang and the Tomini tang. The Tomini is the most aggressive and also the most shy, a weird combination.

They are all model citizens, so far. They will be going into a much larger tank with much more room to stake out their space.
Huh. I'm just saying usually they would go to war because they look similar and are both very aggressive tangs

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Juvenile tangs are usually pretty good unless they have established territories or a hierarchy, as they mature they are much less likely to accept new tank mates including non tang species. Keep us posted and good luck!

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are looking to have me work today. So far the votes are trending towards all the tangs at the same time. I'm not sure I have that much energy! I added that as an option as an edit not thinking that you all would choose that one.

Keep voting. There is still an hour left before I start!

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I wouldn't put that many tangs in my tank twice the size but to each their own. I noticed you said "some" tangs in the initial post, I would warn that if there are others that will need to go in after this batch, they stand little to no chance with the purples and powder blue.

Also look at them, if one group is noticeably larger than the other, it would be wise to put those in last.

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I wouldn't put that many tangs in my tank twice the size but to each their own. I noticed you said "some" tangs in the initial post, I would warn that if there are others that will need to go in after this batch, they stand little to no chance with the purples and powder blue.

Also look at them, if one group is noticeably larger than the other, it would be wise to put those in last.
These are small fish. I have a 450 gallon build coming in the next 6 months, so I have some place for these guys to grow to. I already have the tank and the place to put it in the lobby of my shop. The stand is in process, so as these guys grow they will have a new home.

There is a black tang in QT, but he is much larger, so he should be able to fend for himself. If there is a conflict when he goes in I will move him to another tank. I have several, even a few without tangs. I have options.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are small fish. I have a 450 gallon build coming in the next 6 months, so I have some place for these guys to grow to. I already have the tank and the place to put it in the lobby of my shop. The stand is in process, so as these guys grow they will have a new home.

There is a black tang in QT, but he is much larger, so he should be able to fend for himself. If there is a conflict when he goes in I will move him to another tank. I have several, even a few without tangs. I have options.
In that case I would dump them all at once. Best to just let them all be a little freaked out together than letting one set establish any territory.

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case I would dump them all at once. Best to just let them all be a little freaked out together than letting one set establish any territory.
Looks like I'm in for a bit of work this evening.

My original plan was to add the purples, gem and tomini, which are all at the same salinity and temp. I just did a double take of the temp and salinity of the powders and they are 2 points lower in salinity then the DT, so they will need a little acclimation. They will be going in in the second wave. They are a little larger.

We'll see if the votes come in to make it a bit easier on me over the next 20 minutes, but it doesn't look like it.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I'm in for a bit of work this evening.

My original plan was to add the purples, gem and tomini, which are all at the same salinity and temp. I just did a double take of the temp and salinity of the powders and they are 2 points lower in salinity then the DT, so they will need a little acclimation. They will be going in in the second wave. They are a little larger.

We'll see if the votes come in to make it a bit easier on me over the next 20 minutes, but it doesn't look like it.
If you'd like to do two separate groups, I would go with the tomini and the gem first, and then the 2 purples and the 2 powders (together). I know thats 2 and 4 so still will be some work, but that would probably be the best grouping.
I am only weary of the purples being a bit aggressive, I doubt the gem or the tomini would be. Powders are just mean sometimes so either way i'd go with them last.

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you'd like to do two separate groups, I would go with the tomini and the gem first, and then the 2 purples and the 2 powders (together). I know thats 2 and 4 so still will be some work, but that would probably be the best grouping.
I'll see if I can do that. Right now the purples, gen and tomini are all in the same tank. The powders are in the tank that needs to be brought up by 2 salinity points. It adds a layer of complication to introduce the purples to the powders not in the display, but it is possible. The acclimation shouldn't take to long, maybe 30 minutes.

The 4 in the same tank can be moved very easily together.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add them all now and dim the lights/ shorten the daylight hours on the 112.

Do it now!

(Tomorrows Fathers Day so I'm making demands like my mother always did! ) :)

Good luck and I hope everyone hangs well together. Are you going to hand catch them? If you do make sure you tell them to behave nice to the other fishes in their tank. Fish do best if you rule them like a kind Father.

It's true! Good luck.
Lee Daniels Side Eye GIF by Empire FOX

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going into two points LOWER isn't a deal-breaker (if they were mine), though you might want to get it to a one point difference, same temperature tanks. Going into two points HIGHER would not be good. My opinion.

Back