Which fish should I bring out of QT today?

Vote for the group of tangs to be added to the 112 gallon tank today

• Total voters

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope it works out for you. Too much aggression for me to watch. Hopefully it all calms down.
I love the fish, I'll check in tomorrow.

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like how you pre-planned with an algae infestation (Lol), they are all chomping down on it like they were just let into a candy store. ;)
Yes, I added the Lyertails to get the algae really growing and it took off over the last week. I couldn't really get the ugly stuff to grow for months on end. Then in the last couple days it turned from brownish to green and I kinda knew it was time.

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got several different bottles of different bacteria on hang in case the bio load can't keep up and I need to supplement it. I put an ammonia badge in. I'll watch everything very closely and test a couple times a day to be sure everything stays stable.

I've also upped the auto hourly water changes to double.

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Everyone is out an happy this morning! All the "Tang Gang" are picking at the rocks, glass and sand. There doesn't seem to be any aggression between anyone. Everyone seems to bee very good neighbors. Even the Gem tang and powder brown seem to have worked out their differences.

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're just over 24 hours in and everything is going well. There are occasional contests, but they last only a few seconds. Interestingly they are always between the same tangs. They are few and far between. When they are over the two will swim and eat beside each other like nothing happened. There is no contact between the two.

It is the Powder Brown and the Gem tang and The two Purple tangs (though I have not seen that this afternoon) and the Tomini and and the larger Purple tang. Another interesting thing is that a lot of the time the Powder Blue tang seems to always be in the right place to break up a conflict if it goes on to long (mroe than a few seconds). That could be my imagination.

Also the male Lyertail has stared dive bombing the entire group of females, except one. The smallest female. Interesting.

This is sooooo much fun to watch. I'm glad I'm retired and can watch all day long.

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're just over 24 hours in and everything is going well. There are occasional contests, but they last only a few seconds. Interestingly they are always between the same tangs. They are few and far between. When they are over the two will swim and eat beside each other like nothing happened. There is no contact between the two.

It is the Powder Brown and the Gem tang and The two Purple tangs (though I have not seen that this afternoon) and the Tomini and and the larger Purple tang. Another interesting thing is that a lot of the time the Powder Blue tang seems to always be in the right place to break up a conflict if it goes on to long (mroe than a few seconds). That could be my imagination.

Also the male Lyertail has stared dive bombing the entire group of females, except one. The smallest female. Interesting.

This is sooooo much fun to watch. I'm glad I'm retired and can watch all day long.
Glad to hear it!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another interesting thing is that a lot of the time the Powder Blue tang seems to always be in the right place to break up a conflict
Huh, this is interesting. My powder blue seems to be the "law" keeper in the tank. I always thought it would be the foxface or my emperor. Nope. It's the powder blue. And, he is the guard dog. I wish I could record that at night. But my crappy phone camera won't be able to pick anything up that's not brightly lit. Basicially when the emp gets scared, she runs and hides behind the powder blue. He jolts out of his cubby, fins flared like a big baddy and slowly patrols the tank. Doesn't see nothing and goes back to bed.

Everyone is going to nit pick. Thank you for turning down the flow. I do like watching the tang gang. They are great.
Now I miss having anthias. Such beautiful fish.

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, this is interesting. My powder blue seems to be the "law" keeper in the tank. I always thought it would be the foxface or my emperor. Nope. It's the powder blue. And, he is the guard dog. I wish I could record that at night. But my crappy phone camera won't be able to pick anything up that's not brightly lit. Basicially when the emp gets scared, she runs and hides behind the powder blue. He jolts out of his cubby, fins flared like a big baddy and slowly patrols the tank. Doesn't see nothing and goes back to bed.

Everyone is going to nit pick. Thank you for turning down the flow. I do like watching the tang gang. They are great.
Now I miss having anthias. Such beautiful fish.
Yes! You were so right about the flow. I am so glad you are enjoying watching the tank. It makes it worth it to me to hear that you look in on it every once in a while! Thank you!

Isn't it funny that in both our tanks the same fish is the "law keeper"?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like to watch them when I'm drinking my coffee. I get to peak at my fish and the tangs on here. It's great! My husband loves the tangs too.
It would be nice to hear more about the personality of other fishes people keep. Makes me wonder how much we miss when we aren't at home?

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote last night about the male Lyretail dive bombing all the females. On closer observation it looks more like the females are all competing with each other for the males attention and he sometimes gets tired of it or may have chosen one and the rest aren't getting the picture.

Anyway, he has apparently changed his mind. His favorite used to be the smallest female. It now appears to be the largest female.

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to watch them when I'm drinking my coffee. I get to peak at my fish and the tangs on here. It's great! My husband loves the tangs too.
It would be nice to hear more about the personality of other fishes people keep. Makes me wonder how much we miss when we aren't at home?
I am blessed. I get to be with these guys most of the time!

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dawn has broken on the third day.

I don't think I realized how much of a feeding frenzy there was on the first two days. There seems to be a peace that has come over the tank. Everyone is swimming around every once in a while picking at rock or glass. There is pleanty of algae left for everyone. There are NO conflicts. The fish are dramatically fatter. It is apparent that they really like this algae.

These guys didn't starve in QT. They got fed 3 times a day and supplemented with Nori. I think something about more room to roam. This looks more like a regular tank with lots of fish.

I'm really glad you all voted for the "All at once" option!

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I threw in a like and sub.
We need more reefers. I keep hearing our hobby is dying.
The tangs are really cleaning that middle rock pile. Going to need to get some nori soon
Thank you so much! I really appreciate the like and subscribe!

Yep. It'll be time to start really feeding them. They do get fed PE Pellets twice a day on an auto feeder right now as well.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My old purple tang, I no longer have. Had no where near the appetite of my current powder blue. I wonder if the powder brown is similar with metabolism and food requirements.

Back