Which fish should I bring out of QT today?

Vote for the group of tangs to be added to the 112 gallon tank today

• Total voters
OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. What is it? Day 5?

The eating of the algae has slowed. The swimming around has picked up. It is morning. I think everyone relizes that food is going to be abundant.

Lastnight the powder brown spent hours just swimming back and forth across 3/4 the length of the 5 1/2 foot tank. I left a lane across the front of the tank for swimming, purposefully and designed tunnels to the back through the rockwork in both directions. The powder blue tang has a figure 8 pattern it swims, but it does not do it as much as the powder brown. Actually as I observe all the fish are developing patterns, except the Lyertails. They just get in everyone's way.

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was observing the male Lyertail changing color. It is amazing to see every day as he develops his purple. Slowly encroaching on his fins as his scales darken bit by bit.

All of the females have developed a deep orange. Even the one I though might also be turning to a male is now deep orange with no sign of purple.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was observing the male Lyertail changing color. It is amazing to see every day as he develops his purple. Slowly encroaching on his fins as his scales darken bit by bit.

All of the females have developed a deep orange. Even the one I though might also be turning to a male is now deep orange with no sign of purple.
Could be she is the dominant female. The top male would kill any other male. Only thing i can think of. She's the boss

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be she is the dominant female. The top male would kill any other male. Only thing i can think of. She's the boss
Watching the hierarchy develop is fantastic. I keep running out of words for amazing. I want to do this over and over again. I am beginning to understand why God is into creation. Man He has a wild skill set. I can only take what He has done and observe.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tangs are funny.

Here is a tang mini conflict: I'm chasing you, I'm chasing you, I'm chasing you..... Oooo, look food....
That's one of the biggest successes of keeping multiple tangs, food. The power of food...
Edit: powder and power...

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's a little cloudy today. I would say you are going through a cycle. Nothing to worry about.
Yes, this algae denigrates when the tangs pick at it. it makes the water very cloudy. I have a 1 micron filter in a canister that I haven't changed out since yesterday. I was going to let it go today.

I got a used Precision Marine Bullet 2 skimmer I am trying to make work, but can't figure out how to get it to make fine bubbles. If I can't get it running in the next fre hours I have a new Octo 100 in a box that I will put on the tank.

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also added a Hybred Scopas tang to the sump/live rock filter to get some of the food that overflows down there.

I run most/all of my equipment external. I just like it more that way. I really use my sumps as big bio-filters.

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem with skimmers, they can take a week or 2 before they skim. I have never had cloudless water when adding multiple fish. Something just happens. It'll clear up.
I'll keep changing out the 1 micron filter. Eventually I'll put carbon in the canister. i don't have ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, so I'm good.

I am dosing a little bacteria and I do have a 2% per day water change by the hour.

I also have a very small UV running. I'll be adding 4 total UV's to this system at different flow rates. Just for fun. Kind of an experiment.

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really loving the anthias. It's fun watching the powder tangs. That blue though... he might get scary
Yea, He can get a little over excited, shall we say? It seems like the brown balances him out, though. It is interesting. Everyone told me "You can't put a blue and a brown in the same tank". I break rules all the time. (You should see me on the freeway, or not.)

They get after each other if they too aggressive with the other tangs. It's like they check each other.

Maybe I'm reading to much into it.

There are no coral in this tank yet, so it'll be pretty easy to get one out if I have too.

I still have a large black tang in QT that I would really like to add to this bunch, but watching these it just might be over the top.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would say in 6 months one of the powders will kick the other powder out. It could take them a few weeks or months to decide if its time for war. If both are male you're going to see issues as they mature. "My spawning ground, go elsewhere" and if he has no where to retreat, well bye bye fish. Now if both are female. It may never amount to much. Other than "i am queen bee" Best anyone can hope for.

Observing fish is extremely important. You can never read too much into, only hope to understand what they are thinking. For example, if even the male anthias decide he wants to be the only fish in the tank. he's going to harass everyone to death.
Anything in fish can change at anytime. We can only hope to act accordingly when it takes place.

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say in 6 months one of the powders will kick the other powder out. It could take them a few weeks or months to decide if its time for war. If both are male you're going to see issues as they mature. "My spawning ground, go elsewhere" and if he has no where to retreat, well bye bye fish. Now if both are female. It may never amount to much. Other than "i am queen bee" Best anyone can hope for.

Observing fish is extremely important. You can never read too much into, only hope to understand what they are thinking. For example, if even the male anthias decide he wants to be the only fish in the tank. he's going to harass everyone to death.
Anything in fish can change at anytime. We can only hope to act accordingly when it takes place.
They were in QT together for almost 3 months at this point. They even slept together in the same PVC, even though there were 3 PVC pieces available.

The anthias were in QT together for 4 months.

The rest of the tangs were QT'd together for over 2 months.

I'm hoping the extended QT time is helping this situation.

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 6!

And we're still going strong. I updated the live stream to 1080p at full frame rate, so the quality should be better.

The lights are ramping up. The tangs are all awake and making a mess of algae, again. The Lyretails are all starting to emerge from wherever they tuck themselves at night. How they manage to find a crack a stuff themselves into it is impressive. Talk about parallel parking!

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up on the PM skimmer and put the Octo on the tank this morning it is skimming away.

The live stream is looking great now!

So, we've got to start taking about a pair of clowns for this tank. Anyone have any ideas?

Back