Which fish to add in a +500 gallons + mistake with Damsels

millie21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum. I own a huge +500 gallons (+150 gallons sump) FOWLR for almost 10 years. We let it go for a while now cause couple years ago we add a problem and everything died. We were fed up but interest came back a little so I wanted to add fishes. We currently have only like 10 fishes, so I went to my LFS and saw those cute damsels. I wanted something very hardy because the aquarium is not doing super good as it should be and they were cheap and nice looking. (Wanted a schoolfish too)

The owner told me it would totally be fine in a 500 gallons despite being agressive fishes since they wouldn’t fight for territory. He also told me to get a group of same species. He is never been the kind to sell just to sell, sending me back home even empty handed at times. So I trusted him and bought three dominos and three 3 -stripes and started reading about them AFTER I added the fishes to the aquarium. Silly me. All I kept reading was horror story about how little bast*rd they are. I wanted them out as soon as I put them in. They seems just fine by now with my other fishes by now (I mainly have big tangs and a pair of clowfish and an Anthias) and didn’t even attempt to agress one expect a tiny bit their own kind, but they are new. The older fishes show the damsels their places and the damsels respect it. What I didn’t thought about is what when I want to add NEW fishes? What about when they grow up? I read the Dominos can get 6 inch long???? Ergh.

What would you guys do at my place? My lfs told I could bring them back for a credit but was convinced it would be fine. I don’t how I am gaonna be able to get them out...

Also, now that I have those in, what could I get next? I would love some fishes that maintain my aquarium like algea and parasite/worm eater. Any suggestion? Or just beautiful cool fishes that are easy to maintain and that will fit in my community. P.S. Would it have to be reef safe even if I just have some mushrooms, xenias, polyps?

This is what I have:

-Blonde Naso Tang (8 inch long)
-Purple tang (4 inch)
-Yellow Tang (4 inch)
-Blue Tang (3 inch)
-1 Lyretail Anthias (male)
-Percula paired with an Ocelaris
-1 big Pajama Cardinal fish
-3 three-Stripes Damsels
-3 Dominos Damsels
-Bubble tips anemones
-Different types of mushroom
-Polyps

Is Xenia possible in a not that well light tank? My parameters are always near perfect, but I am afraid I am suffering from old tank syndrome. My anemones won’t grow and keep spliting.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, what is going on in your system? In the beginning you said you wanted hardy fish because your tank isn’t doing well, in the last paragraph you say you have pristine water basically. What are the issues with the tank? Lighting? Could you give us a rundown on your setup?

OP
OP
M

millie21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I test my water twice a month and it’s Always good.

So we have all sort of problems with that aquarium. I am not the one doing maintenance; we hire a maintenance guy who do a monthly maintenance. The problem is that he is not very competent. And things keeps dying... Execpt those survivor fises. Some of my equipment have failed me so this created all sort of problem. Exemple; couple months ago the Osmosis stopped working so there was no water toping off in my garage sump. For like a month! It happened twice in last year. I lost sea urchin and all my Chromis died. Almost lost my blue Tang. The maintenance guy is basicaly a window cleaner... He never cleans equipment, minimal maintenance on protein skimmer, do a 15% water change monthly and that’s it. Won’t even clean gravel because he says it’s not good. I added BTA’s but they won’t grow and keep spliting, so for me that’s a sign not everything goes well. But parameters are fine... I think my LED’s aren’t enough strong... 0h, and I have no heater/cooler so the temperature change a lot with seasons and it gets too hot in summer... I read about old tank syndrome... A lot of things has to get maintenance.

P.S. But my mushrooms and Polyps are striving though!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

millie21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I cannot tell a lot about the setup since I have just started taking interest in. It was my boyfriend’s but neither he knows nothing about aquarium. He just rely on maintenance guy but we cannot find anyone good enough. It’s been like 5 guys in 10 years. I can take pictures though.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, first off I think I would fire that guy and find someone a little more comprehensive with maintenance.
What are the dimensions of the tank? Actually how tall is it as that affects lighting choices, what lights do you have? What are you using to provide flow in the tank?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I cannot tell a lot about the setup since I have just started taking interest in; it’s just a distarter but I don’t want to close it. I can take pictures though.

Yes, take as many pics of the equipment as possible

OP
OP
M

millie21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have very good pumps. Two Vortech Mp60. We have the Maxspect Razor. One with the six spots, one with the 2 spots and one with 3 spots. The other equipment is supposed to be the best of the best, but some things aren't even setup!

We had professionals came for a quote, he was horrified by the condition of it. He could not believe that someone was doing maintenance over her. But the quote he gave me was way too much. Could have paid a private school for my son or a brand new small car at this price... The problem with a huge tank is everything is very costly. I have to find someone else but I have no guarantee they are gonna be better... The other guy told me it would be a week work with 3-4 people full time just to clean the aquarium/equipment....

Here is some pictures of the sump/equipment downstair in the garage. I will post a pic of current main tank shortly when the lights are on.

Dimension are: 9 feet long x 2 feet large x 2.5 feet deep

Tank 6 years ago when everything was doing well. Before I had my heater overheat and killed almost everything expect current fishes. Then we kind of became fed-up and didn't bought nothing else.
Its a two-side aquarium. The other side gives on my bathroom.

fullsizeoutput_6d8.jpeg

Garage sump:

oXV1jFnlQr27GWbqoI4RCQ.jpg
oMM4xRT7T+uk4NYcsRzPMQ.jpg
d7xmnqeiQDuf0jdnipm+Xg.jpg
SmHTWOG5SWKuQCxuF9NGrw.jpg
1rrPexTyQlqDXuK8qnriNg.jpg

What's this? Not even working
Pq6nn0+KQ5SUBty2YjT0zA.jpg

Last edited:

DipG

Dream Build Complete
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels add nice movement in a tank that size. I have a 560 gallon display myself and I love damsels. The problem you have is that you got the damsels of genus Dascyllus which are known to be pretty aggressive. I would suggest getting damsels from genus Chrysiptera. They are beautiful and do well in groups in a community tank.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and firstly welcome to R2R it’s great to have you with us

On a system of that size maybe one of the basic starting points is to decide whether you want it maintained by professionals, or yourselves, and I’m guessing you maybe prefer someone else to look after it, so you can just enjoy it, which is fair enough.

If you want it maintained then you need to get the right people to do it, so it’s sounds like the current ‘helper’ needs to be replaced and by someone competent who can look after a system like this. Otherwise if it goes wrong, it will go wrong big.

Maybe a competent and keen paid hobbyist could help you?

The up to date pictures will help as well

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got distracted and failed to finish my thoughts .....

I’m a big damsels fan and have 50 plus in my 450. All chrysiptera genius though. Still can be aggressive, but nothing like domino, 3 stripe, etc. Give them space and consprcifics to bicker with and they’re awesome.

OP
OP
M

millie21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your input! I don't get why then my LFS sold me that.... I think I am gonna wait a little and see if they do good. I need to add a matted Filefish for my aiptasia bloom. I am scared since its a shy fish. But for sure if they start being agressive I'll do my best to get them out. What's the best way in a 500 gallons? Two fish nets and food or the bottle trap?

Which other fish would you add? I want Blenny to clean algae. Also I need wrasses for my worms infestation. Would adding more than one fishes at the same time would be best for the Damsels not attacking them? Also, since they have only been there for a week and have not established fully their territory, should I ask them the soonest?(my guess)

I also would love more Anthias. I only have one male right now. I read they can go along with other females. Is that right? Even if added after?

OP
OP
M

millie21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many questions... Sorry. And everyone have different opinions which it's so confusing!

afartindolphin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The equipment in the last pic is a calcium reactor, which likely isn't necessary right now with your current livestock and water change schedule. Consider watching the BRS 52 weeks of reefing YouTube series to get an idea what some of the systems and their functions are in your setup.

Your sump looks to be mainly a large refugium with some kind of reactor probably running either carbon or gfo. Big skimmer running off your return pump with the cup emptying straight into your sink. RO/DI filling straight into sump as well on a single float it looks. Some very questionable sump decisions for what seems to be a well planned and integrated display upstairs.

Any tank that has been put on cruise control for several years, especially a fish only system, is going to take time and effort to get back into reef condition. Great community here though that could help you get it back on track if you'd like to avoid sending the big $$$ to a company. ~700 gallon system is a beast!

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Is set up has great potential! Where is the country are you located? Someone's may be able to recommend a reputable service company to help you while you are learning more.

OP
OP
M

millie21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The equipment in the last pic is a calcium reactor, which likely isn't necessary right now with your current livestock and water change schedule. Consider watching the BRS 52 weeks of reefing YouTube series to get an idea what some of the systems and their functions are in your setup.

Your sump looks to be mainly a large refugium with some kind of reactor probably running either carbon or gfo. Big skimmer running off your return pump with the cup emptying straight into your sink. RO/DI filling straight into sump as well on a single float it looks. Some very questionable sump decisions for what seems to be a well planned and integrated display upstairs.

Any tank that has been put on cruise control for several years, especially a fish only system, is going to take time and effort to get back into reef condition. Great community here though that could help you get it back on track if you'd like to avoid sending the big $$$ to a company. ~700 gallon system is a beast!

Yes, that's what the professional told me. That it would take at least a year or two before it gets back a good condition. Thanks for the video link, I will watch it for sure. But it's funny I still get good parameters...

Welcome to R2R! Is set up has great potential! Where is the country are you located? Someone's may be able to recommend a reputable service company to help you while you are learning more.

Thank you! I am from Montreal, Quebec, Canada :) Any tips would be welcome. We had several people over the years doing the maintenance but they all didn't do a good job....

OP
OP
M

millie21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody knows what causes that green algea in bottom? How to get rid of it? I have zero phosphate and it's a very recent problem...

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d definitely get rid of them. The ones you have are terror regardless of tank size. Pretty much two fish that should not be sold in the hobby. Almost any of the Chrysiptera species would be a great in that tank though. I like Azure, Rolland’s, Talbots, and yellow tails the best. Stick with either pairs or large groups of each types though. Trios don’t work well longterm.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back