Which fish turned out to be a menace in your tank?

carbasaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black bar chromis. Guidebook stated it was peaceful. In my nanotank, once he was in, no more new comers allowed as he would pound them relentlessly

Even worse was a square tail bristletooth tang (similar to Kole Tangs but much more aggressive in my limited experience). This was in a 200 gallon tank so aggression not due to overcrowding or cramped space. Mine decided he hated gobies and would hover by their burrows. If the goby ventured out he would shiv it with his tail “knife”. He killed one outright and wounded another. Really quite psychotic. ☹️

ReefKidDarian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm curious to see if you've ever had a fish that was said to be peaceful but turned out to be a menace? For me it was my male pintail fairy wrasse, he would bully everything that would come into the tank, especially other wrasses. Share your experiences
Ive got 6 tangs in the tank with some wrasses and the worst one is the Two Spot african wrasse. beatiful wrasse but it eats the small cardinals and eats the snails and hermits.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before Hunter's famous wrasse compatibility chart existed, I bought a beautiful Sunset Fairy wrasse that turned into a nightmare. He bullied every fish in the tank even tangs and damsels LOL
Cirrhilabrus-briangreenei.jpg

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a tank with the following:

Sailfin Tang - Dominant but not agressive
Blue Hippo Tang - timid
2 Ocellaris Clowns - model citizens
Six line - main jerk (killed a royal gramma)
Blue Damsel (yellowtail) - jerk 2
Lawnmower Blenny - # 3, but not so much
2 Bangaii Cardinals - model citizens

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a tank with the following:

Sailfin Tang - Dominant but not agressive
Blue Hippo Tang - timid
2 Ocellaris Clowns - model citizens
Six line - main jerk (killed a royal gramma)
Blue Damsel (yellowtail) - jerk 2
Lawnmower Blenny - # 3, but not so much
2 Bangaii Cardinals - model citizens
Gotta love the cardinals, floating around without a thought or worry in their minds.

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder brown tang used to go crazy with new additions but he's calmed down for some reason
Sa
Ive got 6 tangs in the tank with some wrasses and the worst one is the Two Spot african wrasse. beatiful wrasse but it eats the small cardinals and eats the snails and hermits.
Never heard of a two spot wrasse before but after looking it up, no doubt it's a beautiful fish but I don't think any fish is worth that sort of destruction

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before Hunter's famous wrasse compatibility chart existed, I bought a beautiful Sunset Fairy wrasse that turned into a nightmare. He bullied every fish in the tank even tangs and damsels LOL
Cirrhilabrus-briangreenei.jpg
Beautiful fish I can see why you got it, I had a katherines wrasse that had the same demeanor. Bullied the hell out of my flame at the time and had it out for my gobies.

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black bar chromis. Guidebook stated it was peaceful. In my nanotank, once he was in, no more new comers allowed as he would pound them relentlessly

Even worse was a square tail bristletooth tang (similar to Kole Tangs but much more aggressive in my limited experience). This was in a 200 gallon tank so aggression not due to overcrowding or cramped space. Mine decided he hated gobies and would hover by their burrows. If the goby ventured out he would shiv it with his tail “knife”. He killed one outright and wounded another. Really quite psychotic. ☹️
That really does sound psychotic! Had a similar experience with a yellow eye kole tang, everything was great the first day, second day my blue star leopard came out of the sand and my kole tang was acting like my blue star was a new arrival, absolutely pounded my wrasse. Took the kole tang out and reintroduced it several times, same thing would happen every time, but the kole tang eventually died to ich so karma got him hahah

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sa

Never heard of a two spot wrasse before but after looking it up, no doubt it's a beautiful fish but I don't think any fish is worth that sort of destruction
I looked it up too and most of the ones shown are wrong, his is the African one which looks a little scary haha.

ckozma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My menace is a plain ol female clownfish. She will not let me into the tank to do anything without being bit and chasing her with a net with the other hand is really difficult. She is not very scared of that net either anymore haha.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a splendid dotty in a 180 balanced size and species tank. It never chases anyone and a delight to watch as he shows curiosity and travels the whole tank looking for snacks
I know it’s lucky but i a right sized tank they can be a delight
Seconded.

No dottyback can be called peaceful.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back